02-08-2016, 10:44 PM
User Info
a family and myself have both been through this before. this is what the derm. directly recc to us (we did see a couple different ones and got the same basic answer from both) and it has helped A LOT. try getting t-gel (generic wal mart is fine) and nizoral. use about half and half of each. leave on for at least 7-10 minutes then rinse well. wash with that every day for at least 1-2 weeks. and also after rinse with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. do not rinse that off to much just enough to remove the strong odor. DO NOT use any conditioner for now. also do not skip days of washing. the build up of oil helps your skin create fungus or yeast on the surface which makes it worse. some people believe by not washing as much will help, it doesnt. you actually want to keep the skin as oil free as possible. make sure to wash everyday. after 1-2 weeks you can start to skip days with the tgel/nizoral mix and eventually get to about just 1-2 days a week. also do not use things like hair spray, gel, mousse, pomade, wax etc during this it will make things worse.

the thing is the dandruff may be caused by many things. many men also have very bad beard dandruff as well and its most commonly caused by yeast on the surface of the skin. this does require a "zole" cream like ketaconazole or similar and or something like fluconazole (pills). the mix i mentioned above does help but i know when i get a REALLY bad bout of it i go straight to the fluconazole and within about 3 days it starts to go away. to know for sure a derm would do a scrape and have it tested.  for me the tgel/nizoral 98% of the time keeps it under control.

16 660
 12-11-2019, 11:10 AM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 08:52 AM)Bustedup Wrote: I inherited my dad's oily skin which apparently keeps me looking about 10 years younger than I really am. The down side is dandruff. I am talking not just scales but chunks of skin that you can dig up just by dragging your nails across your scalp. Dandruff that laughs a pyrithrine zinc. Tea Tree Oil Shampoo is a joke. My dandruff pimp slaps that stuff back into the bottle! Coal tar and selenium sulfide seem to do best. Nizoral did really good but it is expensive. I tried the Nizoral make in Thailand and it was great but that supply has apparently dried up. 

Any ideas? I wear a "high and tight" and to think of not shapooing is gross in my book.
Alan

About once a week I rub coconut oil on my hair/scalp (cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin) and leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour, then shampoo out. Sometimes I'll substitute with Wen Tea Tree Oil. It really cuts down on my itchy scalp and flaking. And I use Matrix Biolage anti-dandruff every few days.

0 50
 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I fully endorse the use of warm water under the shower head, scrubbed with a scalp brush. Nothing more. No product whatsoever. Water and a brush. My hair is short. My hair is clean, and healthy. No dandruff at all in thirty plus years after years of battling. Yes, there will be a transition period until your scalp gets the message, but you must clean your hair and scalp every day as described above. Oh, and you will save money, too.

0 2,232
 07-23-2020, 07:34 AM
User Info
I got dandruff a month ago. All known remedies do not help. I do not know what to do. I even went to the doctor, he said that you need to find the right remedies, but still it did not help. Now I have already been referred to another doctor. Several weeks have passed since that time and my hair started to come back in order. I have a wedding soon and I found a great hairdresser at http://captureyourbeauty.me/. I want to make an original hairstyle.

0 1
 07-23-2020, 08:15 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Scalp brush suggestion is intriguing. Any recommendations for particular brands and models??

6 694
 07-23-2020, 08:28 AM
User Info
I wonder how much a role these play:
1) diet
2) stress
3) humidity of the home/work place

64 1,876
 08-03-2020, 11:01 AM
User Info
I am balding and shave my head fairly frequently. I have quite dry skin and also a dry scalp and dandruff. Strangely, the more I shampooed, the worse my dandruff became.
If my head is shaved I tend to wash my face and head with a good quality soap and then afterwards I apply one of my wife's "butters" (Mango, Illipe or Shea) to my face, head and body.
It seems to help. They are natural and all unscented.

I suspect many things can cause dandruff, like diet and environmental conditions ect. But even though it's important to stay clean and hygienic I also suspect too much washing with harsh chemicals in some cosmetics may make skin conditions worse. 

Bob

0 14
 08-03-2020, 11:54 PM
User Info
For the first 3 decades of my life, I had lots of dandruff and what felt at the time as a very dry scalp. I could scratch my head with my nails and then if I fluffed by hair, with my head above a table, the table top would be covered in dandruff. My mom and nana always insisted on applying coconut oil to my scalp and hair, which they said nourishes the scalp and hair. Of course, this young boy wasn't going to do it himself, but I would go along if my mom or nana applied it for me. I must admit now that it seemed to make a difference to the scalp dryness and dandruff. If I had dandruff now, I would try the coconut oil. 

In grad school, I started buzz cutting my hair with the lowest clipper setting and reduced my use of shampoos to once every 3rd day or so. The dandruff went away. I never grew out my hair there after, so I don't know if the dandruff would return if did grow out my hair, but I suspect it had more to do with the daily exposure to harsh chemical shampoos and conditioners and not allowing the scalp to breathe and undertake its natural process of cleaning. 

I have been shaving my head now for a few years. I have not used shampoo for several years now and the scalp feels better than ever before with no dandruff. I suspect it is because the scalp can breathe easily and is cleaned everyday with just water.

0 143
 08-04-2020, 02:04 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(08-03-2020, 11:54 PM)meshave Wrote: For the first 3 decades of my life, I had lots of dandruff and what felt at the time as a very dry scalp. I could scratch my head with my nails and then if I fluffed by hair, with my head above a table, the table top would be covered in dandruff. My mom and nana always insisted on applying coconut oil to my scalp and hair, which they said nourishes the scalp and hair. Of course, this young boy wasn't going to do it himself, but I would go along if my mom or nana applied it for me. I must admit now that it seemed to make a difference to the scalp dryness and dandruff. If I had dandruff now, I would try the coconut oil. 

In grad school, I started buzz cutting my hair with the lowest clipper setting and reduced my use of shampoos to once every 3rd day or so. The dandruff went away. I never grew out my hair there after, so I don't know if the dandruff would return if did grow out my hair, but I suspect it had more to do with the daily exposure to harsh chemical shampoos and conditioners and not allowing the scalp to breathe and undertake its natural process of cleaning. 

I have been shaving my head now for a few years. I have not used shampoo for several years now and the scalp feels better than ever before with no dandruff. I suspect it is because the scalp can breathe easily and is cleaned everyday with just water.
I haven't used shampoo for over thirty years. I keep my hair short and used a scalp brush under the shower to clean my hair. No dandruff. When you start out with this method, it takes a week or two for your scalp to adjust, then it calms right down and you're then dandruff and shampoo-cost free. Persevere: it's worth it.

0 2,232
 08-04-2020, 03:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I too have a very oily scalp, but stopped using shampoo by the age of 20. Since then I’ve used only bath soap to wash my hair right along with the rest of me. No dandruff in all that time. Nowadays I prefer a simple, all natural soap and have completely eschewed using mass produced conglomerate products. My two favorite bar soaps are A la Maison hypoallergenic unscented and (recently discovered, maybe 6 months ago) Green Mountain.

Occasionally during the winter months (dry air) my eyebrows get a little dandruffy, but I remedy that by brushing them while brushing my hair. What’s left of it, anyway.

16 4,321