06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
It's mind boggling and it pisses the hell out of me, when managers call you in for interviews and never actually have any intentions at all to hire you. Doing your best to answer all of their ridiculous questions and jumping through hoops of fire for them isn't good enough for them.

So why the bullshitting? Why would they waste their times and ours, with the games they play? There has got to be some sort of legal remedy against false hiring practices.

I hate seeing "Now Hiring" signs and know full-well I shouldn't bother applying, because they won't hire me anyways.

0 128
 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
User Info
I'm not entirely sure how the job market works in other countries - I mean, I barely know how it work* here in Norway - but could it be that they have an internal candidate in mind for the job but have to go through the motions of taking applications from outside to satisfy some rule or other? It is the only thing I can think of that would make any sort of sense.

*) I basically signed on the dotted line when I applied for officers training, and have stayed in the military ever since. The internal processes of applying for new positions is very different than what they do outside the fence.

3 5,828
 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Yes...this is often the case Hans....there is an internal candidate. I have also run into situations back in the day where they jump the gun and interview candidates before funding has been approved for the position. That is definitely frustrating.

48 20,073
 06-26-2012, 02:44 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
sometimes the BS questions are just that BS. Your answers do not matter as much as your reaction to the questions. Your answers are just words. Your reactions can be more meaningful.

But yes, I have gone on interviews where I called off work, traveled many hours to get there, incurred expenses on gas and etc... only to find out after the interview that my interview was great but they needed someone with LaCrosse, Soccer, Tennis, etc... coaching experience. All of that info was on my resume and transcripts so they wasted my time, energy, and money.

0 253
 06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Jon, I just hope the address on your resume is not the same as the location you have listed on this fourm.

181 25,140
 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 07:11 AM)Johnny Wrote: Jon, I just hope the address on your resume is not the same as the location you have listed on this fourm.

From where I've been sitting for the past 2 years, the 12th layer of hell would be accurate. Blush

I've had similar interviews, some seemed to be very disconnected and I often thought 'WTF am I even doing here?' Most places that try to hire internally go through that process before moving on to the outside. Some interviews are simply to fill a quota, you know, the EOE BS. They more than likely have their candidate, but need to interview a woman, a minority, etc...

I hate wasting my time, but the worst is an employer that makes it sound like you're getting the job then never call and avoid your calls. I completely destoyed a guy in a message I left after a month odf intentional avoidance. No cursing or raised voice, just a brief lecture on cowardice and common courtesy. It didn't change anything, but it gave me satisfaction.

The job market is screwed up, last year I applied for a job in a company that was hiring 45 people and so did 1,200 other people. Guys were coming from 100 miles for a chance. Of the 1,200 only 700 had the qualifications and of those only 400 or so passed the test. After that a large number failed the physical and/or drug screening. I made it down to the final group of 70+, but wasn't hired. I still waited hearing news that some of the new hires were quitting or being fired, but not enough to get me in the door. This process took over 6 months. My Mother has been working there for more than 38-years and she kept me up to date.

I'm one of those people who have given up, but I'll still try when I see the right job. It's depressing as hell. For money I taxi Amish people and repair farm equipment and whatever else I can find. The taxi thing pays the most and I can make a lot of money from long trips out of state.

Sorry, kinda went off on my own thing. Tongue

10 451
 06-26-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
That moronic nonsense pisses me off no end. I experienced some of it when the economy fell off the face of the earth right after 9/11. Not all of the companies were doing that, but many were cherry picking. Besides jerking people around, the hiring managers would wait forever looking for that oh-so-perfect employee who would work for peanuts because he or she had no other choice. After a few months, the manager would realize that the uber-perfect employee would not be found, or might not exist, and start to worry. Then the previously interviewed candidates would be contacted, but they usually had either found jobs or left the area.

Cherry picking is not always the culprit. A company that wants to hire an H1B (sponsored non-resident) must first "prove" that their are no qualified US residents available to fill the position. Candidates will be interviewed and rejected as not qualified regardless of whether or not it is actually true. H1Bs can be paid much less and worked like a dog because they have no choice. In other instances, the company has an internal candidate tapped for the job, but has rules mandating external candidates must be interviewed.

0 308
 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Some interviews are just set up to check out prevaling wages and skill level of applicants and amazing as it seems JUST to wake up existing staff to show others are out there waiting so don,t mess with us !!!!! Yes SOB,s exist and they are executives...read Dilbert,s cartoons he is right on..sad but true.AngrySadDodgy

6 2,104
 06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
My interview for my current job was on the telephone and it was 2 hours long. I thought there was no way I was getting the job so I applied and started working somewhere else. I got the call back from the current place about 2 weeks into my other job.

116 3,804
 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Yup,I too have experienced the waste of time interview with no real intention to hire anyone. It is annoying and when you are unemployed or underemployed you just don't have the $$ to waste.

1 346
 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 05:28 PM)Harvey Wrote: Some interviews are just set up to check out prevaling wages and skill level of applicants and amazing as it seems JUST to wake up existing staff to show others are out there waiting so don,t mess with us !!!!! Yes SOB,s exist and they are executives...read Dilbert,s cartoons he is right on..sad but true.AngrySadDodgy

Any HR department worth their salt should be able to determine prevailing wages without resorting to sham interviews. Companies that conduct interviews just to strike the fear of God into their workforce are badly managed, and that is putting it politely. Encouraging one's own workforce to be restive or disloyal is a recipe for disaster. Sure, those SOBs exist, but every single one I have seen crashed and burned.

Sooner or later, the boom times will be back. They already are in some places. The clown companies will wither and die when that happens.

0 308
 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
User Info
Wow, that sounds terrible. i have never experience such a thing and i could not even try to. That would be very annoying.

89 21,229
 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
I wonder if the front office knows about what these managers are doing?

I've been thinking of really embarrassing these companies by notifying the local news station and letting the public know about their antics.

0 128
 06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
User Info
(06-27-2012, 06:55 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: I've been thinking of really embarrassing these companies by notifying the local news station and letting the public know about their antics.

Why not post a review on glassdoor.com? Folks looking for jobs really do read the reviews.

0 308
 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
User Info
(06-28-2012, 10:46 PM)Tbone Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 06:55 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: I've been thinking of really embarrassing these companies by notifying the local news station and letting the public know about their antics.

Why not post a review on glassdoor.com? Folks looking for jobs really do read the reviews.

Will it do anything? Will it change the way employers hire people?

It just happened to me again today. I drove 8 miles after finding out a local pizza chain was hiring on Craigslist. Sure enough they had a now hiring sign with pretty decorations all over the window. I wasted 15 minutes filling an application in the 95 degree hot weather only to be told by the manager he wasn't looking to hire because he already hired 3 people already. Funny thing was, there was only 1 jerk off employee working there.

He was the only one there, doing nothing other than just blasting his speaker system like he was some sort of badass, right in front of the store and with no regards to the customers as they walked in. I'd bet my house on it, that this was some prepubescent 16 year old. I swear I'm going to lose it and hit a store employee in the face for the frustration they're putting me through.

0 128
 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-29-2012, 12:59 AM)JonJones84 Wrote: I swear I'm going to lose it and hit a store employee in the face for the frustration they're putting me through.

You do that and you will be mopping the floors in the steel bar hotel (calaboose)

181 25,140
 06-29-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
Yep - while you've certainly had some bad experiences with these employers, overreacting or chest beating will do more harm than good. It may make you feel better about yourself........for a short while, but it may also make it impossible for you to ever get a job.

Get angry all you want, but don't act on your anger......ever........in any situation.

If you feel that you have a genuine grievance, there are proper channels that can be used to address it. Use those, even if you feel that you're not getting the satisfaction you desire.

You can handle this like an adult, or you can handle this like a child. Either way, you'll have to bear the consequences.

37 1,743
 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Steven...it seems as if your negative attitude may be setting yourself up for failure. While I can understand the frustration, maybe the potential employers are picking up on the negative vibe.

48 20,073
 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-29-2012, 06:29 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Yep - while you've certainly had some bad experiences with these employers, overreacting or chest beating will do more harm than good. It may make you feel better about yourself........for a short while, but it may also make it impossible for you to ever get a job.

Get angry all you want, but don't act on your anger......ever........in any situation.

If you feel that you have a genuine grievance, there are proper channels that can be used to address it. Use those, even if you feel that you're not getting the satisfaction you desire.

You can handle this like an adult, or you can handle this like a child. Either way, you'll have to bear the consequences.

I could not have said this better. Remember, employers do look at social networking sites and while the Internet has opened up a whole new world of communication, for better or worse, it has taken away much of our privacy. Only you can decide what social image you wish to project.

I wish you all good luck in getting a good job.

2 5,000
 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I've done hiring in the past. Not that I have done this some managers interview for purpose of practicing their interview skills.
I always have interviewed multiple people even if I had one position to hire. I never called a person in for an interview that I did not have a legitimate job to offer. I never offered a job based on the first interview.

Wishing you luck in job hunting.

1 3,507