06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
Several months ago, I started the Brotherhood of the Open Comb....a way of uniting and educating these often miss understood razors. With a hand full of brothers, we formed the Brotherhood of the Open comb.

What is this crazy Brotherhood you ask?

First and foremost, it is a group of members that love open combs. For us, it it not merely one of our choices, but our preferred tool for shaving.

I was asked by a member why the love of OC's?

There are several factors for me....and let me say, as typical, YMMV

Aesthetic appeal is one part of the equation. I love the look, and feel of an open comb . When it comes to style and beauty, who can deny the beauty of such razors as the #15, the #20, the Aristocrat De Luxe, a #47,the Richwood, or the 1918 Bulldog. This is only the tip of the iceberg...so many Open Combs..so little time.

Second for me is function. I have several vintage TTO's and a few modern razors. Open comb, either in a vintage flavor, or modern "Hybrids" like the Muhle R41 just simply do a better job on my face, my beard growth patterns, and my hair type. Will it do the same for you?? I don't know the answer to that question, but I believe there is a Open Comb razor out there for every shaver and every beard type that will out perform any of the guard razors.

Third for me is efficiency. I have very sensitive skin, prone to razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc. I can generally do less passes, and get a better shave with an open comb. Let me dispel the myth that all open combs are much more aggressive. That simply is not true. Many Open combs feel extremely mild on my face. Most would agree a razor such as the 2010 Muhle R41 feels as mild as the DE89. Open comb does not translate as more aggressive...I would encourage all those that haven't tried a open comb to try one. Don't know where to start? I would say start with the Gillette NEW, one of the finest razors ever produced.

So who is membership open to??

Anyone that loves open combs!! They should be your primary razors, but you can own other razors. Membership is easy..you love open combs...drop me a PM.. put BOTOC in your signature. simple.

What are the requirements?

Support all post about open combs, give feedback to your brothers.
Make friends with your brothers...PM them..get to know them. We have a great group of guys on this forum, and who doesn't like new friends....you see a brother online...drop him a line...see how he's doing!

What else?

I would encourage members to post pics and discuss there open combs in this thread...a combined thread if you will of open combs. A place for easy access of discussions and pics. This is also a great place to discuss techniques, etc.

So show your love of the Open Comb...become a "card carrying member" of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb!

Let's openly discuss, post and share. Make some new friends along they way, and who knows...

Here is to great shaves my brothers!!!!

Let the fun begin!! Shave well my friends, Shave well!

0 66
 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Well you know I am in welcome to the nook BOTOC brotherhood!

3 748
 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I just got a 1916 Bell Tube Aristocrat from another member here, and I was pleasantly surprised at its performance. I think it will be seeing more use in the coming months. The aesthetic factor certainly holds true for me with that razor.

35 1,732
 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Three of my favorite razors come in the Open Comb flavor I love my new, my Senator, and specially love my old type, with a fatip on the way! The oc love goes on and on... can't wait to start the fun, and have the great information that passes threw begin!

Wow do you have a picture of that tonality would love to see it
(06-25-2012, 08:24 PM)Tonality Wrote: I just got a 1916 Bell Tube Aristocrat from another member here, and I was pleasantly surprised at its performance. I think it will be seeing more use in the coming months. The aesthetic factor certainly holds true for me with that razor.

3 748
 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
As Co-Founder of the Open Comb, I approve of this message.

BTW, no Honorary Co-Chairs. I hope to see some of the others find their way here.

5 833
 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Glad to see the BOTOC has joined the TSN!

91 17,794
 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(06-25-2012, 08:25 PM)syngent Wrote: Three of my favorite razors come in the Open Comb flavor I love my new, my Senator, and specially love my old type, with a fatip on the way! The oc love goes on and on... can't wait to start the fun, and have the great information that passes threw begin!

(06-25-2012, 08:24 PM)Tonality Wrote: I just got a 1916 Bell Tube Aristocrat from another member here, and I was pleasantly surprised at its performance. I think it will be seeing more use in the coming months. The aesthetic factor certainly holds true for me with that razor.

Here's a link to my pictures in the Monthly Haul thread. Razor was originally Johnny9's, he was fortunate enough to find it in an antique shop.

35 1,732
 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
User Info
Gimme Gimme Gimme my OC SEs. The Gem OCMM and Valet AutoStrop VC1 are the two razors that I use for about 75% of all my shaves. I've tried some OC DEs, but they still didn't cut it for my face/beard combo. Now I just need to find an OC slant and I'll be complete!

31 7,912
 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
wow thats a great looking single ring, if you have never shaved with the older head be cautious of how the blade loads there is a bit of play in them and they can go in a bit crooked or lean to one side or another, though you can use it a bit like an SE and control one sides blade exposure making in mild or aggressive with the opposite effect happening on the other side of the DE, just make sure the blade is straight or you will have a bad shave

hope you love it and it stays in rotation and not just a collectors piece though

(06-20-2012, 11:32 AM)Tonality Wrote: [Image: DpID7l.jpg]

[Image: RPz8il.jpg]

btw you should ask ken about the baking soda and tin foil trick to get some of the dark spots to turn back into silver ! without having to polish it away

but then i dont see any dark spots to begin with, what a great find by johnny and a nice pick up for you

3 748
 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
User Info
Valet...

[Image: 9c4945c8.jpg]

OCMM...

[Image: ZiPeppinoSOCOCMM.jpg]

31 7,912
 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
User Info
You will find out, that a few of my favorite things are Silver and Old Types....Did I mention I liked silver?Biggrin

Gorgeous razor....the handle reminds me very much of the Tradere's new handle...the Bell ends are a pretty rare breed...LOVE IT!

(06-25-2012, 08:30 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-25-2012, 08:25 PM)syngent Wrote: Three of my favorite razors come in the Open Comb flavor I love my new, my Senator, and specially love my old type, with a fatip on the way! The oc love goes on and on... can't wait to start the fun, and have the great information that passes threw begin!

Here's a link to my pictures in the Monthly Haul thread. Razor was originally Johnny9's, he was fortunate enough to find it in an antique shop.

0 66
 06-26-2012, 03:00 AM
User Info
Excellent news!

1 2,827
 06-26-2012, 04:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My latest Open comb acquisitions...

[attachment=3388]
Merkur 11G (and case)

[attachment=3389]
Joris Horn Handle

91 17,794
 06-26-2012, 06:27 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great news to hear that it is part of the Nook now.

1 3,507
 06-26-2012, 06:41 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Lol I should save up and when my Fatip shows up do it up in silver post a pic of it once a day for Ken to behold lol

3 748
 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM
User Info
[Image: _MG_9446.jpg]

[Image: _MG_9451.jpg]

Heres my Gillette open comb.

I got a question though, are there any handles that fit this head? As there is a small crack on the handle and im lookin for new handle to replace it.

0 37
 06-26-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
Ben...your killing me!!

That Joris is gorgeous...one of my dream razors since I'm such a huge Fatip fan!

(06-26-2012, 04:02 AM)ben74 Wrote: My latest Open comb acquisitions...

Merkur 11G (and case)

Joris Horn Handle

There seems to be much polarity on most forums. One one hand, you have those that love more "aggressive" razors such as the R41, the Joris, The Fatip, the Slant, and on the other those that love more mild razors such as the 40's Superspeed, EJ DE89, the TECH, the Feather.

There is no question to which "camp" I belong too....I prefer the most effective efficient razors I can find. When I go to "mild" I have to do more passes and get irritation, period. Regardless of blade choice, they simply don't do the same job as a more aggressive razor.

To those that make claim "it's all in the hands of the user" I say Hogwash!! Get behind the wheel of a Ford Fiesta.....now get behind the wheel of a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ....same maker...but both cars drive and react to the driver very differently! The makers of these razor, from the beginning have designed them with different characteristics to appeal to various beard types, face shapes, etc.....it isn't one size fit all.

What surprises me the most is some of the anger and comments I hear from the mild crowd toward us that love the more aggressive razors....from we are trying to prove some macho thing, to we just have poor technique and need a more aggressive razor. ...I call BS to those statements.

This is my opinion the Fatip Grande...what many would consider a fairly aggressive razor

The overall build quality seems solid, well designed and thought out well....this is not a new design as this head was used on the past incarnation of the 2008 Muhle R41 as well as many believe on the Joris. The Grande uses a different handle then the Muhle in the Grande...longer but less weight....come in at 65grams.

The quality of the plating is closer to what I would expect from Merkur than I would expect from Muhle or Edwin Jagger.....small pin dot dumps on handle, and the head had swirl marks from improper buffing.

In my hand the Fatip felt balanced and comfortable. Just the right feel with slightly more weight toward the head.

I have now used the fatip for nearly two months,for around 90% of my shaves.

Here is a impression from my first shave with it, loaded with a Super Iridium.

Shave 1:

Shaved a few hours post shower. Face lathered using a Vie-long Horse hair brush , loaded with VDH and C.O. Bigelow for a superlather. Fatip Loaded with S.I blade.

I had two days of growth....hadn't shaved waiting for this to arrive!

First pass.....WTG It was as smooth as silk for me and my face. At first I wondered if I was getting any stubble removal even though I was getting audible feeback. I rinsed my razor and noticed all the stubble in my lather...nice.

Second pass....ATG.....used short quick strokes and again smooth as butter....rinsed face to check for stubble for pass three and was shocked at how close to BBS I already was.....face was BBS, neck needed some work.

Third pass XTG used longer strokes on this pass and again very smooth...rinsed and checked...some small touch uos still needed under chin area mostly.

Touched up. rinsed and used alum block....no sting...nice. used Nivea AS balm.

Today I did notice I appeared to have more stubble than if I had shaved with the R41 the previous day....

Second shave:

Shaved as soon as I got out of shower.....used AoS Silverip brush, bowl lathered AoS Sandalwood cream.

First pass;

Let's skip this as the shave was identical to the previous days....no better or worse, just a nice BBS shave

My overall shaving impression:

For me this fits in nicely somewhere in between a Gillette NEW and a Muhle R41. For someone looking for something more aggressive and more forgiving, this may be your cup of tea.

It is not for every body.

For young men, those with thin beards.....this will be too much. For those of Italian, Greek, Middle eastern, Heritage, or those who are more mature ( Ok...us older guys!!) with thicker dense gray beards...this may be perfect for you.

I did not have one nick, weeper or cut and found the shave very smooth and rewarding. On a scale of 1-10...I would give this razor a strong 8.5 on its ability to give a great shave.

[Image: DSC_0772.JPG]

[Image: DSC_0773.JPG]

"What we hold to be right, and good, and true IS right and good and true for all men." Sean Connery as King Arthur, Motto of the BOTOC

0 66
 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 06:55 AM)Flashisfast Wrote: Heres my Gillette open comb.

I got a question though, are there any handles that fit this head? As there is a small crack on the handle and im lookin for new handle to replace it.

I know Tech handles fit them. I'd wager that any Gillette handle froma 3 piece fits it. Probably some of the modern handles too.

32 6,308
 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 06:55 AM)Flashisfast Wrote: [Image: _MG_9446.jpg]
[Image: _MG_9451.jpg]
Heres my Gillette open comb.

That is a NEW Long Comb head. Almost any handle will fit it, from a fat handled tech, to an iKOn, to one from a Parker.

5 833
 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
User Info
(06-25-2012, 09:06 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Valet...

[Image: 9c4945c8.jpg]

OCMM...

[Image: ZiPeppinoSOCOCMM.jpg]

Great looking razor! Smile
I have yet to try an SE, but I plan to.

6 135