09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
User Info
Hi guys,a couple years into wet shaving and one of my best moves to date. Read the article on slant razors and thought I should give one a shot.
IKON DLC slant and wow,weepers! I find the razor to be rather aggressive, beginning to question my skills. I did order it with the long handle and was wondering if that was the issue. Purchased another basic razor w a marble like long handle to test that theory,no problems.
Any tips my guys? I am at the point as to I may sell and or trade for a non slant IKON. Help!! The dam razor scares me!!

0 5
 09-01-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
Hi Tondavi,slants are all about technic,you need to use a super light touch & give yourself time for the learning curve.Me personally I've  sold most of my DE's & have gone onto the SE but I still keep & shave every 4th round with my favorite slant by ATT the  S1.If you want to try the most forgiving slant on the planet get yourself an ATT S1 or the S2 which is the OC  slant version..........Ernie

20 441
 09-01-2015, 07:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-01-2015, 03:37 PM)tondavi Wrote: Hi guys,a couple years into wet shaving and one of my best moves to date. Read the article on slant razors and thought I should give one a shot.
IKON DLC slant and wow,weepers! I find the razor to be rather aggressive, beginning to question my skills. I did order it with the long handle and was wondering if that was the issue. Purchased another basic razor w a marble like long handle to test that theory,no problems.
Any tips my guys? I am at the point as to I may sell and or trade for a non slant IKON. Help!! The dam razor scares me!!

The iKon (stainless) Slant DLC is the razor that I use daily. Although there can be production variations unit-to-unit, iKon generally has excellent quality control, and therefore it is very likely that your razor is functionally identical to mine.  FWIW, my iKon DLC Slant head is mated with a relatively inexpensive but excellent Maggard MR5 handle; iKon makes a  handle of its own, the Bamboo handle, that is very similar to the Maggard MR5, and should perform similarly.  You can buy the iKon Bamboo at the iKon site or through Italian Barber; you can get the Maggard MR5 handle only on the Maggard site.  (All else being equal, I would -- did -- choose the Maggard MR5 over the iKon Bamboo.)

Over more than eight months' daily use, I have found the iKon Slant DLC to be on the mild, forgiving, side of the ledger.  

As has become a meme on this discussion board, when it comes to blades, YMMV.  You did not mention what blades you have been using, but I will share my own experience.  With Gillette Silver Blue blades, with Wizamet Iridium Super blades (very probably identical to Polsilver Super Iridium blades), and -- especially -- with KAI Stainless blades, I have found the iKon DLC Slant to be mild and forgiving.  However, with a USA-made Personna blade, the same razor cut me up badly.  In this razor (perhaps the same applies to all razors), choice of blades matters.  Never, ever, will my unit of that razor see another Personna blade.  

1 1,109
 09-04-2015, 12:46 PM
User Info
Forgive Mel for I also used persona blades,yikes! Tried Gillette 7 o'clock,ehh,I will invest in better quality blades!
AS Bow said I will work on my technique and hey,another razor is always good,thank you guys.

0 5
 09-04-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
(09-04-2015, 12:46 PM)tondavi Wrote: Forgive Mel for I also used persona blades,yikes! Tried Gillette 7 o'clock,ehh,I will invest in better quality blades!
AS Bow said I will work on my technique and hey,another razor is always good,thank you guys.

Blades are very much suited to the individual, even by specific razor.  Nothing wrong with Personna's  (Red, Blue, Lab etc...) or most any of the colors of 7:00's. Keep them on the back burner to try in different razors at different times.  You might be surprised.

15 404
 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
Having used above the tie slant, 37c slant, razorock dlc slant, stealth slant aluminum, ikon DLc slant did not feel any more aggressive than any of the ones I mentioned,.
In fact, I thought it was pretty mild and was a little underwhelmed by its performance.   Left stubbles here and there, nothing fantastic, so it's just collecting dusts in my den right now.

As far as techniques are concerned, it shouldn't be too drastically different from regular DE.  It's just doing the gillette slide motion for you, so you don't have to do anything like that yourself.
You just go straight down, side to side or up.  Use light touch if it feels aggressive.

Good luck

53 760
 09-06-2015, 05:19 PM
User Info
The techniques should be the same. I have about a dozen different slants, and I am beginning to think of them almost as beginning razors. The only potential danger is that the slant effectively creates a larger blade gap which can create a potential for cutting on more rounded areas, such as the chin.

With my iKon slants, I have noticed that really cinching the blade down tight makes a huge difference in blade angle and stability. With that done, they seem to go from average to incredible. You might check the tightness.

29 257
 09-06-2015, 06:28 PM
User Info
Slants also cut me up at the start. 

I wanted to echo the part about techniques esp the no pressure part. Let the head do the work. 

Like all things, keep at it. A slant is part of my normal rotation now too.

18 655
 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
I've used 11 different slants so far and found three things: It's very important to maintain the correct angle. It's very important to apply zero pressure (or, as I wrote on a different forum, almost negative pressure). I cannot use a slant two days in a row.
Disclaimer: I've not used an Ikon yet.

3 108
 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 05:19 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: The techniques should be the same.  I have about a dozen different slants, and I am beginning to think of them almost as beginning razors.  The only potential danger is that the slant effectively creates a larger blade gap which can create a potential for cutting on more rounded areas, such as the chin.

With my iKon slants, I have noticed that really cinching the blade down tight makes a huge difference in blade angle and stability.  With that done, they seem to go from average to incredible.  You might check the tightness.

I'll give it try,thanks fellas!

0 5
 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Make sure the blade is aligned with the top cap not the base plate. You want even blade exposure and varying blade gap (I think I wrote that right). Google images has a lot of images of slants loaded incorrectly and they will cut you easily if not loaded right.

Blades are personal but the Personna labs and meds,gillette 7 clocks etc. Are all on the sharper end of the spectrum.

I prefer polsilvers myself they are sharp but they are so smooth. 

Op have you tried Astra, crystal,or permasharps? They are not the sharpest but are pretty forgiving. A friend sent me a box of the gillette nacets blades and he swears by them,they are good smooth blades that aren't as sharp as the other gillettes. Also with blades price doesn't mean cheap. Astras are some of the cheapest blades you can buy but are some of the most loved.

I can't use derbys but a lot of people love them.  I'm not gonna junk up your thread with blade discussion unless you want to turn it that way... I would recommend polsilvers to anyone and recommend our own member DCC to get them everywhere else polsilvers are expensive, DCC has them dirt cheap.

3 1,356
 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
Lab Blues are very good for me in my Merkur slant. I haven't tried an iKon slant.

The toughest thing for me on first use of a slant was setting the angle. It's a bit harder with a slanted guard. It's even more important to not use the guard to set your angle. Doing so makes for a really rough shave.

0 1,097
 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
The point made above about blade alignment on the iKons is also spot on.  Take an extra few seconds to ensure alignment.

One thing I wanted to add for clarity on my points above and for emphasis on those great earlier comments.  My observation is that while the slant effectively creates a larger blade gap than is apparent, they also tend to have a shallower, and more gentle blade angle.  

I think that this make the application angle used while shaving more critical, but I believe the pressure less of an issue.  The Hoffritz/Coles/Merkur/Lunawerk, etc. style slants have the head design that promotes proper angle, but the Mulcato and 2nd Gen iKon slant style are counter intuitive to proper blade angle, especially with the heavy handles that some folks favor.  Once you pay attention to it and hold accordingly, they are tremendous.

29 257
 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
I would experiment with different blades and see if that helps.

For what its worth, I find the Ikon 102 to be a very mild and forgiving slant razor.

29 293