09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
User Info
Well, after 15-20 razors, with a backup Mongoose and an ATT S2 head on the way, was the answer Trac II all along? Years of irritated skin on my neck drove me to wet shaving, and things improved. My neck never was perfect, and I couldn't go too close, but it felt better. I had been using foam and 5 blade carts.

Last week I saw Trac II carts at CVS and went home to do some web searches for nice handles. I never found anything crazy, but did grab an all metal one for $15. Bought some Wilkinson carts on eBay for $6 too. Decided to give it a whirl today. Obviously my products are now better than my old canned foam, and I better understand technique, but I was overly surprised in a good way. My neck has never been closer to BBS and there is no irritation. Did I spend crazy dough on DEs and SEs when the answer was just to go to a non pivoting 2 blade? Guess we will know tomorrow, or the next day, if I get tons of ingrown hairs.

Hoping for the best!

[Image: 0f8df40b94d06224c8da102e4721ad2d.jpg]

55 923
 09-01-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
Occam's Razor!

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations."

Congratulations on the new found shaving experience!

61 3,796
 09-01-2015, 05:57 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I have an old Atra twin blade razor that I use when I travel and only have Carry-On.  the twin blade cart is TSA friendly and the shave isn't bad.  I do prefer my DEs, Injectors or Straights for daily use.

Good Luck.

3 518
 09-01-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
I know a gent who gave up a Gillette no. 58 and an endless stock of Wilkinson Light Brigade blades to return to a Trac II for just the same reason. It does seem ludicrous, doesn't it? Sometimes the razor picks you and not the other way around.

29 1,776
 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
(09-01-2015, 06:38 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I know a gent who gave up a Gillette no. 58 and an endless stock of Wilkinson Light Brigade blades to return to a Trac II for just the same reason. It does seem ludicrous, doesn't it? Sometimes the razor picks you and not the other way around.

That totally reminds me of the Harry Potter line " The wand chooses the wizard"...  24

3 78
 09-01-2015, 08:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-01-2015, 05:34 PM)buickrob Wrote: Well, after 15-20 razors, with a backup Mongoose and an ATT S2 head on the way, was the answer Trac II all along?  Years of irritated skin on my neck drove me to wet shaving, and things improved.  My neck never was perfect, and I couldn't go too close, but it felt better.

Last week I saw Trac II carts at CVS and went home to do some web searches for nice handles.  I never found anything crazy, but did grab an all metal one for $15.

I better understand technique, but I was overly surprised in a good way.  My neck has never been closer to BBS and there is no irritation.  Did I spend crazy dough on DEs and SEs when the answer was just to go to a non pivoting 2 blade?  Guess we will know tomorrow, or the next day, if I get tons of ingrown hairs.

For the first ten years that I needed to shave, I used an electric shaver and I had serious ingrown hair problems on my neck.  Once I started shaving with a brush and soap and (first with an injector razor but very shortly after that with) a cartridge razor, all my ingrown hair problems vanished.  On the basis of this single data point, I make the general extrapolation that ingrown hairs are due to insufficient beard prep and underdeveloped shaving tehnique.  Am I wrong?

1 1,110
 09-02-2015, 12:36 AM
User Info
(09-01-2015, 08:20 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 05:34 PM)buickrob Wrote: Well, after 15-20 razors, with a backup Mongoose and an ATT S2 head on the way, was the answer Trac II all along?  Years of irritated skin on my neck drove me to wet shaving, and things improved.  My neck never was perfect, and I couldn't go too close, but it felt better.

Last week I saw Trac II carts at CVS and went home to do some web searches for nice handles.  I never found anything crazy, but did grab an all metal one for $15.

I better understand technique, but I was overly surprised in a good way.  My neck has never been closer to BBS and there is no irritation.  Did I spend crazy dough on DEs and SEs when the answer was just to go to a non pivoting 2 blade?  Guess we will know tomorrow, or the next day, if I get tons of ingrown hairs.

For the first ten years that I needed to shave, I used an electric shaver and I had serious ingrown hair problems on my neck.  Once I started shaving with a brush and soap and (first with an injector razor but very shortly after that with) a cartridge razor, all my ingrown hair problems vanished.  On the basis of this single data point, I make the general extrapolation that ingrown hairs are due to insufficient beard prep and underdeveloped shaving tehnique.  Am I wrong?

Some have the idea that multi bladed cart will cause ingrown hairs because of the way the first blades lift the hair up, then the next blades make the cut of the hair that really is under the skin surface, thus the hair will return to poin under the skin surface. Some guys have the idea that this will cause an ingrown hair. I can sort of relate to this.

Problem is that since I sold all my DE's, SE's and straights and returned to only Fusion 5 bladed carts, I have yet to find an ingrown hair, so not sure I can relate to it directly in my case though.

24 6,019
 09-02-2015, 01:20 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Interesting how things shake out sometimes. I can't recall being plagued by ingrown hairs no matter what I used to shave with. I think the biggest improvement you can make, no matter what you shave with, is to use a decent soap/cream and learn how to make a good face lather with it. 

Add to that using the correct shaving technique for the type of razor you are using, they are all a bit different in that respect. No proof of that though just a suspicion. It might help explain why a razor chooses you and not the other way round some times. 

Bob

0 1,694
 09-02-2015, 01:48 AM
User Info
(09-01-2015, 05:34 PM)buickrob Wrote: Guess we will know tomorrow, or the next day, if I get tons of ingrown hairs.

Exactly. Just wait and see. Biggrin
Before I went on to SR and SE+DE shaving, I always had a shave bonus - ingrown hairs. Always. Not anymore.

0 83
 09-02-2015, 02:30 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My experience has been somewhat similar to OP's.  I struggled for years with DEs and SEs to achieve the BBS shaves I like and always ended up using a cartridge for touch up and difficult spots.  One day I decided to shave entirely with my Mach3 and I was delighted with the result.  Since then I've not looked back and currently rotate between a Mach3 and a Sensor.

7 934
 09-02-2015, 04:25 AM
User Info
the story with hairs being lifted by one and then cut by the other blad. I dunno!
However been looking at safety and cartridge razors from a different perspective, that is straight razor shaving-
given how much easier (correction!) the shave is with a safety razor (in German called "razor plane") in comparison with a straight edge!

safety razors and blade cartridges do have something going for them. Straight razor shaving is an involving process while a safety razor and especially cartridges eliminate that while providing the results

I like the simple type of cartridge and handle you´ve been using!

21 1,175
 09-02-2015, 04:36 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-02-2015, 12:36 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Some have the idea that multi bladed cart will cause ingrown hairs because of the way the first blades lift the hair up, then the next blades make the cut of the hair that really is under the skin surface, thus the hair will return to poin under the skin surface. Some guys have the idea that this will cause an ingrown hair. I can sort of relate to this.

Problem is that since I sold all my DE's, SE's and straights and returned to only Fusion 5 bladed carts, I have yet to find an ingrown hair, so not sure I can relate to it directly in my case though.

When Gillette introduced the first Trac II razor, it produced a television advertisement showing the first blade lifting the whisker up and the second blade slicing it.  That image apparently lodged in many memories and has become “Truth.”  What many have suggested is that the theory of operation of the Trac II was created in the halls of Gillette’s ad agency and not in the R&D department of Gillette itself.  (Think about it:  the theory requires a first blade that is sharp enough to grab and pull a whisker up, but not sharp enough to cut it, and a whisker that, when pulled up, has at least the length of the distance between the cartridge’s two blades:  do you let your whiskers grow that long between shaves?)  But the advertisement sold a lot razors, and filming a razor blade in action at the skin surface is all but impossible, so there never has been any incentive to challenge the theory.  

1 1,110
 09-02-2015, 04:53 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...........i fear i too have spent way way too much on de and se razors when a single cartridge razor could have worked all along..............ugh!

46 1,070
 09-02-2015, 05:18 AM
User Info
I admit to having achieved some darn fine shaves with carts (never having the in-grown hair issue), however I shave with a lot more pleasure since returning to DE.  Biggrin 
McDonalds tastes good, fills you up, but hardly satisfies. Whereas a home-cooked meal is far more satisfying. (Did I just say that?)  Rolleyes

39 3,950
 09-02-2015, 06:12 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(09-02-2015, 05:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: I admit to having achieved some darn fine shaves with carts (never having the in-grown hair issue), however I shave with a lot more pleasure since returning to DE.  Biggrin 
McDonalds tastes good, fills you up, but hardly satisfies. Whereas a home-cooked meal is far more satisfying. (Did I just say that?)  Rolleyes

Well put and fully agree. I get far more satisfaction from the act of shaving if I use a SR. Followed in descending order of satisfaction by DE/SE and dead last a Cart razor.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-02-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 05:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: . . . Whereas a home-cooked meal is far more satisfying. (Did I just say that?)  Rolleyes

Something tells me your home-cooked meals are more satisfying than mine.

29 1,776
 09-02-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
I haven't shaved with cartridges for years now, but when I did, the trak II was the all-out best.   The move toward more and more blades in a cartridge just produces -- IMHO -- the effect of a disk sander on the face.  But the two-blade trak II worked very well for me.

If you like the feel of the cartridge razor, why not consider an injector?

2 155
 09-02-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
Carts always give me irritation if I use them daily, so I shave every other day with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

6 633
 09-02-2015, 09:55 AM
User Info
As always, go with what works for you.
Anyone who decides to give up their Aristocrats, straights, Mongeese and Cobras, please send them to me for proper disposal.

0 50
 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 06:48 AM)rsp1202 Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 05:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: . . . Whereas a home-cooked meal is far more satisfying. (Did I just say that?)  Rolleyes

Something tells me your home-cooked meals are more satisfying than mine.
Admittedly, mine are very good... Biggrin

39 3,950