09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
I'm a history geek and always like to know all information regarding the hobbies I practice. Today, I went thinking and it would be awesome to know how the american shaving soap artisan movement has emerged during the recent years.

In regards to that, does anyone has some kind of timeline for this movement? (like timeline of specific artisans entering the scene)
I have heard Mike's Natural was one of the first (if not the first) artisans soapmakers here in the U.S. But other than that, I really don't know the rest or if this information is true.

If anyone has some knowledge of the timeline of artisans soap makers, I would greatly appreciate it!

0 32
 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
One way you can learn about individual artisans is to go to their websites and read the "about us" tab.

13 947
 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
We started in 2011, but shaving soap was a later addition - maybe mid 2014 for the current version.

0 1,099
 09-02-2015, 12:33 PM
  • MattCB
  • Port Orchard, WA
User Info
That is a very interesting question.  I'm sure there are a lot of defunct business's that didn't make it who would contribute greatly to that timeline.  It would take lots of forum searching for that data, and then as suggested above, a lot of individual webpage data mining.

0 18
 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
Yea, this might be too hard (I work 12 hours a day on average, so little idle time).  I posted the same on facebook and got some good replies from various artisans.  From the information that I got there were like 3 o r4 artisans before the "WetShavingBoom" of the late 2000's.  They told me Mamabears, Ginger's Garden, etc.    Then the first wave of artisans when the trend began, which were Mystic Waters, Mike's Natural Soaps and Queen Charlotte.   And the rest is history,  lots of new artisans with awesome products and awesome prices.

Note: I just ordered the GIT from Queen Charlotte Soaps,  in honor of being one of the first artisans Biggrin  (any excuse to buy more soap, huh).  Never tried before, so I;m excited to try it.  The ingredients list is similar to my favorite soaps (Barrister & Mann, Mike's, Shannon's,  Mystic Water and Strop Shoppe).

0 32
 09-02-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
Problem with about us pages is that it doesn't necessarily tell you when certain products were added. Take mine for example. Shaving soaps weren't added until a little less than a year ago, but you'd never know that from the about us page.

9 3,038
 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 01:38 PM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: Problem with about us pages is that it doesn't necessarily tell you when certain products were added. Take mine for example. Shaving soaps weren't added until a little less than a year ago, but you'd never know that from the about us page.

Very true!

0 32
 09-03-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
I think what you said in an earlier post is about right.

When I first started early in 2009 there was Mama Bear and Honeybee Spa and The Gentleman's Quarter (now defunct) and Saint Charles Shave, and I'm sure others that I'm forgetting. ( I remember that of the main artisans making soaps that were available back then, three of them were named Sue.  There was Sue at Mama Bears, Sue at Saint Charles Shave, and Sue at Honeybee Spa.  The only non-Sue was the woman at The Gentleman's Quarter, whose name eludes me right now.  Those soaps were really nice, though; the scents were awesome and the packaging was beautiful.)  Some others I'm just now remembering include The Gentleman's Refinery and QED, for example, although the Refinery never made a shaving soap, to the best of my recollection.  Al's Shaving was another one that was around a long time ago but did not sell soaps at the time. 

Then there was Prairie Creations and Mystic Waters, then Queen Charlotte Soaps, and then Mike's, IIRC.  After Mike's came Barrister and Mann.  From there it was pretty much a deluge of new artisans, so there's no way I could possible remember the order.

2 1,557
 09-03-2015, 08:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think you would have to add Prairie Creations to that list but I'm not sure if she is still in business due to serious health issues.

179 23,945
 09-03-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
Johnny, I did add Prairie Creations.  She definitely came along AFTER the others I listed.  I know because I was one of the beta testers for her first shave soap attempts.

2 1,557
 09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Per the previous comment/add by Kingfisher, Charles at QED was one of the early producers. I also remember when Matthew at QCS first floated his test soaps; I still have the Original Key Lime from that period.

It has come a long way in a relatively short period of time. As I have said before, I very much appreciate the hard work of all the Artisans in providing the community with such great choices. 

We discuss a lot more than Tabac and MWF these days Wink

2 1,180
 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
Quite right, Kevin.  In fact, Charles at QED had done a bespoke scent for another shaving forum before I even joined, I think.  So maybe back in 2007 or 2008 or so.

2 1,557