09-02-2015, 02:54 PM
User Info
Hey gents,
Was just wondering if any of you have been hassled going through airport security with a DE setup in your carry-on luggage.  I did some research and noted that its legal if you don't have the razor blade with you, (common sense), but just wanted to know if it's carried properly has any of you been pulled aside to have your bags contents gone through as a result of it.  I travel very light and do not plan on checking any luggage.  I'm leaving for Colorado in the morning to visit my daughter and would love to take my set up with me but really don't want to create any delays.

If I do take it with me, I plan on having it completely disassembled with no blades.  I'll buy blades when I get to my destination.

Was just wondering if it's worth it or should I just shave with a disposable for the week.

3 193
 09-02-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 02:54 PM)Carbonfreek Wrote: Hey gents,
Was just wondering if any of you have been hassled going through airport security with a DE setup in your carry-on luggage.  I did some research and noted that its legal if you don't have the razor blade with you, (common sense), but just wanted to know if it's carried properly has any of you been pulled aside to have your bags contents gone through as a result of it.  I travel very light and do not plan on checking any luggage.  I'm leaving for Colorado in the morning to visit my daughter and would love to take my set up with me but really don't want to create any delays.

If I do take it with me, I plan on having it completely disassembled with no blades.  I'll buy blades when I get to my destination.

Was just wondering if it's worth it or should I just shave with a disposable for the week.

Yes, I have, but fortunately my guy seemed to be one of us and knew what an ATT R2 was and we had a few minuet chat while he went thru my dopp kit.

He asked if I had any blades anywhere, and I told him I mailed them ahead of me... And he let me go with a half full squeeze tube of Nivea shave cream....  =D

Another time I had a female TSA agent almost break my feather popular by trying to screw off the entire head.... She got very defensive and told me to back up when I tried to show her how it worked.....

So it's hit or miss I imagine.

18 654
 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
I won't even deal with those people.  A cart is fine for a couple of days.  If I want to bring the heavy weights, I check my baggage.

61 3,796
 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
User Info
I just get some single blade Bic Metals and use those. I enjoy the shave enough because it really comes down to the technique and the soap that does the hard work. I just skip the ATG pass

0 517
 09-02-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 03:18 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I won't even deal with those people.  A cart is fine for a couple of days.  If I want to bring the heavy weights, I check my baggage.

+1

13 947
 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've never had a problem with my travel Fatboy in carry-on, even once when I forgot to jettison the blade before going through security upon return.  Since I'm not so important so as to have access to a private jet anymore, I have to deal with "those people" both ways.    I just mail ahead or have them already stashed in places I visit repeatedly.    Last time I breezed through (with said forgotten blade in the razor) while my buddy, a retired Colonel, got the strip search treatment, including his Fusion.   And he didn't whine about those people either ..

I greatly prefer a proper DE shave to a cart, and worse case if my Fatboy would be ruined by the x-ray say, I'd just buy a crappy cart at the destination anyway.

44 476
 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
Hit or miss .
All depends on TSA agent . I have carried many times and stopped once and TSA took away blades.
Please take fusion with you or take away razor only and buy blades locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
User Info
(09-02-2015, 04:45 PM)Cricket203 Wrote: Hit or miss .
All depends on TSA agent . I have carried many times and stopped once and TSA took away blades.
Please take fusion with you or take away razor only and buy blades locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my point.  It is the safest way, otherwise, you are at your own risk.  Thumbup

61 3,796
 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
Hey guys,  thanks for the input.  I think I'm going to travel without.  I hate the security lines anyway.  I guess there's no sense in chancing the possibility of going through the explanation, bag search, and bag repack just to get a nice shave. And don't want to risk loosing the razor to a TSA agent having a bad day.

Thanks again.

3 193
 09-02-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
I have not had any problems. I tell them before it goes through. We generally talk a few seconds. They say cool, I keep it pushing.

0 46
 09-03-2015, 01:15 AM
User Info
I don't know how to dumb myself down enough to deal with TSA and DE's in any regard. If taking a plane, I take a disposable mach 3 in my dopp bag, every time.

0 76
 09-03-2015, 04:41 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
If I check, I will bring a DE [very rare as most of my trips are only in/out and a few days].

I have mailed blades but honestly, it is just a pain IMHO so just grab a cartridge and go. The NEO is my latest and pretty solid; it cuts hair and is not the end of the world to use for a few days.

2 1,180
 09-03-2015, 05:47 AM
User Info
It looks like I'll be doing a fair amount of traveling from October-January, and I bought a Feather MR3 cart just for that occasion. Seems to be the best of the bunch as far as carts go, and as I do not have the patience for TSA negotiations or baggage check-in, it'll be my travel companion.

16 1,027
 09-03-2015, 05:55 AM
User Info
I have a friend that works for Delta.  Few years back, they were giving free samples of AOS Pre-shave Oil, Cream, and Post balm at the Sky Club.  My friend gave me a whole box of those, enough for the next 10 years, lol....When I travel, that's all I take, one set for each day, perfect!  I always travel with the minimum I can carry-on, but effective for a few days.

61 3,796
 09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
(09-02-2015, 04:30 PM)garyg Wrote: I greatly prefer a proper DE shave to a cart, and worse case if my Fatboy would be ruined by the x-ray say, I'd just buy a crappy cart at the destination anyway.

Can you expand on this? I've not heard about any issues like this before.
I couldn't go back to carts now, I'll just have to mail them ahead or get them at my destination.

0 246
 09-03-2015, 07:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
From what I've seen the national/regional pharmacy chains generally have DE blades in stock. They tend to be pricier than we've come to expect, but they are available. Otoh I suppose a cart wouldn't be the end of the world...  Undecided

7 2,159
 09-03-2015, 10:37 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Through experience, I've learned to only take shaving supplies that I can walk away from or should something happen to the supplies. Hence, I travel with a travel size of baby oil and a Gillette Fusion.

13 611
 09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
I take either my Atra or a Gillette Guard.  I have never tried to take a DE razor through TSA.

2 1,463
 09-03-2015, 05:12 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(09-03-2015, 05:58 AM)Gordy Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 04:30 PM)garyg Wrote: I greatly prefer a proper DE shave to a cart, and worse case if my Fatboy would be ruined by the x-ray say, I'd just buy a crappy cart at the destination anyway.

Can you expand on this? I've not heard about any issues like this before.
I couldn't go back to carts now, I'll just have to mail them ahead or get them at my destination.

I might have had a bit of my tongue in my cheek, the point was that anything can happen, why weasel out with the cart to start off with, when if you go with a proper razor worst that can happen (though not likely) is that you end up shaving with the same things those who are afraid somehow of the TSA folks take at the outset.  

If you can't handle civil interaction with "those people", who must scare a bunch of the respondents here,  you have many choices.  Fly private, send ahead, check baggage, take the bus or train, drive, or walk.   Or go meek, and pack a cart.

44 476