12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
User Info
Only use Aleppo soap.

8 1,560
 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM
User Info
(12-10-2015, 12:17 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Tangential, but still on-topic, sort of:   what on earth is the appeal of shower gels (or liquid soaps in the shower)?   Our 42-year-old son, who grew up in our household in the 1970s and 1980s showering with real soap, has but one (1!) bar of honest soap in his home, which he and his wife bring out of the closet for my wife and me when we visit them.  He has told us, confidentially, that he prefers to use honest-to-goodness bar soap in the shower himself, but his wife, who is the type who never has met a fad diet that she did not embrace whole-heartedly (for a week), would not allow any bar soap in the shower of the bathroom that they share, so he has gone along with using shower gels to preserve domestic harmony.  

My bride and I both regard real soap, in a bar, as one of the greatest inventions in the history of humankind, and a true advance in civilization.   Among indulgent true luxuries, soaps have long been high on the list, yet affordable.   Mystic Water Goat Milk shower (facial) soap (Michelle Burns's) is the best skin-friendly moisturizing bar soap, and, coincidentally, among the best scented soaps, that we have ever encountered, and I have to order bars of it in quantity, because my bride inevitably gives more than half of each order away to friends as gifts, for which generosity she always receives back copious thanks, not only at the time of giving, but also for weeks after her friends have used the soap.  

When our son and his family were scheduled to visit us in Portland, I went to various stores to find a bottle of something for them to use in the shower, and, reading the list of the ingredients on the label, I found some of them to overlap the ingredients of the stuff that we use to clean grease spots off our garage floor. 

What is the appeal of shower gels?

Biggrin

76 20,924
 12-13-2015, 04:14 PM
User Info
I quit using them a year ago in favor of artisan soaps but my favorite was Every Man Jack Sandalwood.  To answer the question above I think the appeal to some people is the way you are bombarded by the ad companies telling you that is the way it has to be done these days and regular soap is old fashion or so they say.  Other then that I really can't think of one.  You get many more showers out of a bar price wise compared to most gels IMHO.

0 94
 12-13-2015, 05:50 PM
User Info
I pretty much used bar soap till the late 90's when I started using Dr Bronners liquid soap. 
All the scents are good but peppermint and almond are my favorites. 
Now I keep my hair short but this is what I use for shampoo also. 

Just recently I started exploring bar soaps again but I will always have some Dr Bronners around.

3 108
 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
While it's not a gel and may not be available to you in Denmark Claus, I like to use this: 
[Image: Mq2zVRB.jpg]

35 3,406
 12-13-2015, 06:41 PM
User Info
To the bar soap fans, I just ordered 8 bath bar soaps from Giftsandcare and will explre bar soaps once again.

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and sweat quite a bit there, so I really need some solid soap in the shower to wash it all off, without drying my skin totally.

Therefore I have decided to use a mild bar soap and a mild shower milk in combination.

As an OCD guy I really need to know everything is washed off, when I shower - so I have decided to revisit the bar soap and combine it with a shower milk as said.

22 5,324
 12-13-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
(12-13-2015, 05:59 PM)primotenore Wrote: While it's not a gel and may not be available to you in Denmark Claus, I like to use this: 

I have been using Dr. Bronner's for many years. Very good soap with organic oils and the Rose-scented one is lovely!

76 20,924
 12-14-2015, 10:26 PM
User Info
(12-13-2015, 07:36 PM)celestino Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 05:59 PM)primotenore Wrote: While it's not a gel and may not be available to you in Denmark Claus, I like to use this: 

I have been using Dr. Bronner's for many years. Very good soap with organic oils and the Rose-scented one is lovely!

+23
Great for traveling and the gym. Gentle with the skin yet very effective.

7 875
 12-14-2015, 11:14 PM
User Info
(12-10-2015, 12:17 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 01:05 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Looking for inspiration. 

What's your favorite shower gels for the body ?

Use currently Crabtree & Evelyn, in 3 different scent variants.

Tangential, but still on-topic, sort of:   what on earth is the appeal of shower gels (or liquid soaps in the shower)?   Our 42-year-old son, who grew up in our household in the 1970s and 1980s showering with real soap, has but one (1!) bar of honest soap in his home, which he and his wife bring out of the closet for my wife and me when we visit them.  He has told us, confidentially, that he prefers to use honest-to-goodness bar soap in the shower himself, but his wife, who is the type who never has met a fad diet that she did not embrace whole-heartedly (for a week), would not allow any bar soap in the shower of the bathroom that they share, so he has gone along with using shower gels to preserve domestic harmony.  

My bride and I both regard real soap, in a bar, as one of the greatest inventions in the history of humankind, and a true advance in civilization.   Among indulgent true luxuries, soaps have long been high on the list, yet affordable.   Mystic Water Goat Milk shower (facial) soap (Michelle Burns's) is the best skin-friendly moisturizing bar soap, and, coincidentally, among the best scented soaps, that we have ever encountered, and I have to order bars of it in quantity, because my bride inevitably gives more than half of each order away to friends as gifts, for which generosity she always receives back copious thanks, not only at the time of giving, but also for weeks after her friends have used the soap.  

When our son and his family were scheduled to visit us in Portland, I went to various stores to find a bottle of something for them to use in the shower, and, reading the list of the ingredients on the label, I found some of them to overlap the ingredients of the stuff that we use to clean grease spots off our garage floor.  

What is the appeal of shower gels?

In short the appeal to me is the ease with which shower gels (the good ones) can be massaged into a lather faster and with more ease than a bar of soap.

You also get a more pronounced fragrance from the liquid shower soaps.

22 5,324
 12-14-2015, 11:30 PM
User Info
I love Tabac, and Speick shower gels, but they are not cheap. I have friends ship me bottles from Europe because they're also hard to find in the US.

My current daily body wash is Nivea Creme Moisture. Smells exactly like the classic Nivea cream.
I also really like the RazoRock bath bars. I'm pretty sure they're made by Saponificio Varesino[url=https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=saponificio+varesino&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8][/url]

26 343
 12-18-2015, 05:03 AM
User Info
Dr. Bronner's is great stuff! No BS additives or detergents that leave that slimy film (looking at you Old Spice and Dove), clean and simple scents, can't go wrong!

I love using the Peppermint in summer months for the cooling effect.

15 996
 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM
User Info
Since I started using the Artisan bath soaps I honestly haven't used any shower gels.

3 810
 07-06-2016, 02:52 AM
User Info
Not unlike in the case of shaving creams and soaps, what counts for me as far as shower gels or creams go is performance, scent and packaging. The process of learning about wet shaving educated me about the importance of quality ingredients, tradition, scent etc. and I've replaced all mass market products with the good stuff. I can't even touch cheap soaps anymore, that sticky film they leave on your hands, yuck. Expensive hobby, DE shaving, new goodies to buy all the time and a really strong urge to get this stuff, amazing emotional connection, considering these brands seldom advertise in mainstream media. Still, we all have our vices and the cost of even the fanciest personal grooming products is negligible in comparison to, say, nose candy or companionship guns for hire. Not that I would know, of course, but I googled it.

I've also picked up the habit of matching a shaving soap with after shave and then took it a step further and try to keep the same scent going from shower gel and/or bath soap, shampoo, deodorant... all the way to after shave and cologne. I Coloniali Rhubarb and Acca Kappa White Moss make this possible, those two make outstanding products across the board and Gift&Care p.ex., a Spanish outfit with great customer service, carries a wide range of their products.

Acca Kappa White Moss is a very elegant, clean smell, they have both a body and hair shower gel (in a tube) and body only. The one I am addicted to, though, is I Coloniali shower cream. In all iterations, hibiscus, rhubarb or bamboo, the scent is amazing and the consistency of cream 

Seems to be a convergence of two trends, the wet shaving renaissance on one hand and on the other a huge growth of grooming products for men, wet shavers just might be more of the early adopting kind.
[Image: bRoq6UJ.jpg][Image: lw0WZRa.jpg]

0 4
 12-21-2016, 07:38 AM
  • I.P.
User Info
PRIJA Vitalising shower gel with ginseng.

The scent is amaaazing !!

0 27