09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
This past weekend, yr obdnt srvnt found himself on the Maggard Razors website when he was attacked from the blindside by an item in the Clearance section, the last tin in stock of Barrister & Mann Black Label Beaudelaire shaving soap.  Into the cart it went, and USPS Tracking tells me that it will be delivered today.

(This paragraph is a relevant aside.)  Arguably the best vintage ever for Northern and Central Italian wines was 1997, and when the 1997s were released, sometime in 1998 or 1999, we bought a few cases of above average quality (but not super premium) 1997 Italian reds (Paneretta Chianti Classico and Fontodi Flaccianello).  Most of those we consumed within a (happy) year; but as we got down to the last half-dozen or so bottles, we found ourselves assiduously saving the remainder, holding back, for some unknown future “special occasion,” because there never will be any more glorious 1997 bottles.  Now our remaining bottles are 18 years old. which is usually a past-pinnacle age for those wines, which we presume have begun a gradual decline.  We may be forced to drink them in a mundane, everyday, situation.  Subjectively, that has the feeling of a waste and a shame.

So I contemplate the B&M Black Label Beaudelaire, and I think:  “What if I really, really like it?  There never will be any more.”  And I think that maybe I should not use it myself at all, but instead save it as a very special gift to give to a very special friend.  Because there never will be any more.

How about you?  What feelings are brought on by a there never will be any more shaving product:  a Weber DLC razor or (perhaps) an RR Black Mamba, both of which have the virtue of probably never wearing out so they can be used, then gifted, or a tuck of Personna 74s, or a very special discontinued soap like the B&M Black Label that I just acquired?  Do you have conflicted feelings?

0 1,052
 09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
I have amassed a nice collection of some of never-to-be-obtained-again items including: Weber polished and DLC heads, UFO handles, block letter Rooney brushes (finest and super badger), Vintage Plisson HMW brushes, Super Iridium blades, and a small number of Soaps and aftershaves that will not be released again.  I have no problem using the hardware but using the software sometimes gives me pause... but then I usually cave to my desire to use it and try to make it last.  I recently finished a puck of tallow Penhaligon's English Fern, it was sad. Wish I had some more.

73 2,200
 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
I have been in this situation many times. Not just in the wetshavingproducts community either most of my hobbies have limited or special edition items,or items that will never be made again. The first couple of items I got like this were put up and I would take then out every once in a while fondle them and out them back up.

Occasionally the items would get brought up and I would be like "oh I've got that just sitting around ". Well a famous knife maker and a man I look up too fwiw got in touch with me when one of his "sprint run"aka limited edition knives was being discussed and he found out I had one just lying around.

He got in touch with me and explained he had made this knife with a very high performance steel and put his heart and soul into it. He explained he made it to be used not looked at. I told him I understood but I didn't know if I could bring myself to use such a rare and expensive piece. He countered by you don't buy a Ferrari to park it in the garage and just look at it,you buy it to drive the hell out of it.

That got me thinking and finally I picked it up and began to use it. He was right,from the sell he used ,to the crazy heat treat to even the blade grind was all meant for one thing,to make the sharpest most durable knife possible. Here I had been just keeping this thing in a safe when it was begging to be used the whole time.

After that I decided to not buy anything I wouldn't use and if I bought it I had to use it or sell it. Since then I've found some pretty rare finds in all my hobbies. I'm a "no sage queens" guy now so if I buy it I'm using it. Don't care what it is. If I need decorations then the wife can go hit up the decoration store..YMMV

3 1,356
 09-03-2015, 04:54 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-03-2015, 11:29 AM)merkur man Wrote: I have amassed a nice collection of some of never-to-be-obtained-again items including . . . Super Iridium blades.

Iridium Super, in the Wizamet packaging?

0 1,052
 09-04-2015, 02:41 AM
User Info
(09-03-2015, 04:54 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 11:29 AM)merkur man Wrote: I have amassed a nice collection of some of never-to-be-obtained-again items including . . . Super Iridium blades.

Iridium Super, in the Wizamet packaging?
Indeed they are Wizamet.  The Wizamet Super Iridium as simply amazing. I happened into a great sale and purchased 200 of them. I don't yet have any regret using them, but I can imagine as my collection wanes I'll begin to feel some of that regret. But for the moment carpe diem it is!

73 2,200
 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I understand your point. There are no untouchable products in my shave den. All my software remains in current production.

However I've got a major problem with guitar strings. C.F. Martin & Co. used to make a string set called SP Marquis. This particular string features components of two other string lines they produce, SP and Marquis. The SP (stands for Studio Performance, iirc) line uses a particular steel, and the Marquis line reinforces the wound, ball end of the strings with silk wrap which seats the string snugly in the bridge and prevents excess wear of the bridge plate (a reinforcement on the underside of the top, directly under the bridge). The combination of the silk wrap on the SP steel produces a sweet, rich tone in my old D-28 that is unheard of with any other string by Martin or any other manufacturer. They discontinued the line about two to three years ago. When I realized that, I bought up every pack I could find in the country. I'm down to about 8 sets and am getting very uneasy about what I'll use when the last of the sets goes belly-up.

As far as wine is concerned, '09 was a really good year for California Pinot Noir. In 2011 and '12 I bought all together, 10 cases of the '09 Pinot from a central coast winery that consistently makes my favorite wine, year after year. I'm down to the last 5 bottles. My goal has been to save 2 bottles for when my daughters get married. One bottle is reserved for each daughter. The '13 vintage is quite delicious, so I'm not really in too much of a bind as long as they keep it coming!

4 1,944
 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
The rarest and most precious commodity is our days on earth -- and these can't be put on a shelf or in a sealed closet for use later.

So, I am using my Wizamet Super Iridiums, my original Pro Raso after-shave balm (before the new formulation), and other supplies.   And I am playing my priceless long-playing records (including the original Dark Side of the Moon).   These things were made to be used and enjoyed and, yes, they are gone too soon.   

But, as they say, life is too short for cheap wine.    Or bad shaves.

Best wishes, my friends,

Stanley

2 155
 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
I am not going to live for ever and I'm not a materialistic person, so this razors, soaps, etc, are just that, items that I can do without in a drop of a hat.

Never gave this much thought and never will, when it is gone, is gone, life continues, and as long as I have my health and family, the rest is just stuff.

61 3,796
 09-04-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
(09-04-2015, 02:06 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I am not going to live for ever and I'm not a materialistic person, so this razors, soaps, etc, are just that, items that I can do without in a drop of a hat.
Never gave this much thought and never will, when it is gone, is gone, life continues, and as long as I have my health and family, the rest is just stuff.

A man of true wisdom! Well said, hombre! Thumbup

82 21,056
 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
(09-04-2015, 05:21 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 02:06 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I am not going to live for ever and I'm not a materialistic person, so this razors, soaps, etc, are just that, items that I can do without in a drop of a hat.

A man of true wisdom! Well said, hombre! Thumbup

Thank you Caballero! Smile

61 3,796
 09-06-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info

W.W.O.W

Wise words of wisdom

24 5,850
 09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
I wonder if Napoleon, Nero, Washington, King Richard (pick one), et. al. considered these issues? "Running out" of something can be tough. But there are other soaps! I could not imagine totally running out of soaps, blades. Now that would be a real disaster!

36 886
 09-06-2015, 09:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wine was meant to be drank and soap was meant to be used.  Pop a cork and lather up.  Enjoy life.

175 23,752
 09-06-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 09:06 AM)Johnny Wrote: Wine was meant to be drank and soap was meant to be used.  Pop a cork and lather up.  Enjoy life.

This should be in your signature, my friend! Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-06-2015, 10:45 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-06-2015, 09:06 AM)Johnny Wrote: Wine was meant to be drank and soap was meant to be used.  Pop a cork and lather up.  Enjoy life.

Red wine with shaving soap globs floating atop it:  yum?

0 1,052
 09-06-2015, 11:16 AM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 09:06 AM)Johnny Wrote: Wine was meant to be drank and soap was meant to be used.  Pop a cork and lather up.  Enjoy life.

Bravo!  I agree.  Just make sure we don't confuse the wine and the soap!

Stanley

2 155
 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info

Very well put and I am in full agreement. I do have a puck of vintage William's that I enjoy using and I will eventually use it up, it's just soap.

Clayton

6 625
 09-06-2015, 12:01 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info

This sums it up perfectly.  Soap like wine does not always age well.

2 479
 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info

Well said Sir!

61 3,796
 09-07-2015, 04:06 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-03-2015, 11:40 AM)Otis375 Wrote: I have been in this situation many times. Not just in the wetshavingproducts community either most of my hobbies have limited or special edition items,or items that will never be made again. The first couple of items I got like this were put up and I would take then out every once in a while fondle them and out them back up.

Occasionally the items would get brought up and I would be like "oh I've got that just sitting around ". Well a famous knife maker and a man I look up too fwiw got in touch with me when one of his "sprint run"aka limited edition knives was being discussed and he found out I had one just lying around.

He got in touch with me and explained he had made this knife with a very high performance steel and put his heart and soul into it. He explained  he made it to be used not looked at.  I told him I understood but I didn't know if I could bring myself to use such a rare and expensive piece. He countered by you don't buy a Ferrari to park it in the garage and just look at it,you buy it to drive the hell out of it.

That got me thinking and finally I picked it up and began to use it. He was right,from the sell he used ,to the crazy heat treat to even the blade grind was all meant for one thing,to make the sharpest most durable knife possible. Here I had been just keeping this thing in a safe when it was begging to be used the whole time.

After that I decided to not buy anything I wouldn't use and if I bought it I had to use it or sell it. Since then I've found some pretty rare finds in all my hobbies. I'm a "no sage queens" guy now so if I buy it I'm using it. Don't care what it is. If I need decorations then the wife can go hit up the decoration store..YMMV
Indeed. This is the way I see things, as well.
If one of those things happens to wear out, or in the case of soaps or other perishables, is used up, then it "died well", as the saying goes, being used for the purpose for which it was designed. And in the case of many artisans, lovingly designed expressly for that purpose.
As sort of an example in my own life, I build guitars as a hobby. I build with love, and to the best of my ability, and put my sweat and many times literally blood into the work.
If i ever reach a point that I make my living doing what I love, I would be very saddened to know that a guitar that I had made was not being played for fear it would be damaged in some way. It is made to "sing". Please, love it, but let it sing out.

2 1,683