09-05-2015, 06:44 AM
User Info
I noticed in some of the threads guys say they cannot make good lather with a shave stick. I had the same problem. I wanted to use shave sticks so bad but after several attempts I still failed. Then one day I tried this method and Wow! It worked great. Now shave sticks are my preferred method of lathering. (I use to only bowl lather before.) If you have a problem with sticks, try this: 

1. Wet your face.
2. If the soap has a wrapper, peel off about a ½ inch of it.
3. Rub the soap all over your beard area. Put it on heavy so that you can see a white paste on your face.
4. Then take a wet brush and give it one good snap of the wrist to shake off excess water. Then start using circular motions on your face to make lather. 
(I find a wet brush works better than a damp one.)

5. Add water to the brush as needed by dipping the tips of your brush into some water, about a ¼ inch, or let some water drip into the center of the brush off your other hand.
 6. Just keep doing this until you have fantastic lather. You should have enough lather built in the brush to do 3 more applications.

Some guys have trouble with their second pass. There should be plenty of soap still in the brush. Just use painting strokes on your face with the brush until you see the lather building up.
It will be a thick lather. Just dip the tips of your brush in water to add water. You should have plenty of lather in no time.

5 1,537
 09-05-2015, 07:06 AM
User Info
Sounds good!

Loading enough and then mixing properly is just the basics- how to apply them is well illustrated in your short writeup!

Kind regards,
Philipp

21 1,175
 09-05-2015, 07:31 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, that is basically how I do it but add one step after rubbing the shave stick on my face. I choke up the knot between thumb and fore finger and rub the brush knot against the shave stick. Definitely sure to have enough soap loaded for 3 passes at least.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-05-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
i find rubbing the stick against the grain before circular motions yields more soap from the stick.

0 26
 09-05-2015, 12:42 PM
User Info
(09-05-2015, 10:06 AM)juicy flawless Wrote: i find rubbing the stick against the grain before circular motions yields more soap from the stick.

Yes you have to rub the stick against the grain. This should give you enough soap on your face to make plenty of lather. There is no need to take the brush to the soap stick. The brush will have soap in it for the 2nd and 3rd pass. Just keep using the a painting motion on your face and the lather will come out nice and thick. Then add water.

5 1,537
 09-05-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
I've never had any issues lathering when using shave sticks. Easiest way to lather, in my opinion. Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
After using the Speick stick for a week straight I found that leaving my face dripping wet prior to applying the soap yielded more than enough lather for three passes. I tried utilizing a pre shave oil but that made it really hard to get soap from the stick onto my face.

144 2,752
 09-06-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 10:58 AM)blzrfn Wrote: After using the Speick stick for a week straight I found that leaving my face dripping wet prior to applying the soap yielded more than enough lather for three passes.  I tried utilizing a pre shave oil but that made it really hard to get soap from the stick onto my face.

Agreed!  I have done the same with several different sticks, and it always works well.  The key is a wet face before applying the soap, and water added as I face lather.   Never liked pre shave oil: it also fouls the razor.

Stanley

2 155
 09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
I find wetting my face and then putting a lot of soap on is the trick. Also start with a pretty wet brush. Just take one step back from the mirror when you start so you don't splash it. Ha!

5 1,537