09-05-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
Hello Everyone, I was hoping someone on this forum could help me with some information on a straight razor I picked up at an antique store in Arkansas. The razor is marked W Singleton & Co and was made in Sheffield, England. I have been searching and cannot find any information about this razor company anywhere. Please see the attached pics. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[Image: 5aoZwwZ.jpg][Image: jqyMi7j.jpg]

0 11
 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I don't have information on the particular razor in question, but the tang stamping reminds me of my Joseph Allen and Sons. (also from Sheffield) made around 1890 or so. On the other hand I hope you didn't pay a lot for this razor as it has seen better days but will make a nice one to restore. A little sandpaper, metal polish and a new set of scales and you could bring that thing back to life.

3 227
 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
(09-07-2015, 04:34 PM)Scoti Wrote: I don't have information on the particular razor in question, but the tang stamping reminds me of my Joseph Allen and Sons. (also from Sheffield) made around 1890 or so. On the other hand I hope you didn't pay a lot for this razor as it has seen better days but will make a nice one to restore. A little sandpaper, metal polish and a new set of scales and you could bring that thing back to life.

I only paid $10 and was going to restore it but wanted to know what I had before I just jumped into grinding away on it.
To me it looks similar to a Wade & Butcher with the big blade and barber's notch. The blade is in really good shape despite what it looks like, there isn't any deep rust.  It appears the blade was covered in oil prior to sitting for decades. It should be a good restoration project.

Thanks

0 11
 09-07-2015, 11:18 PM
User Info
It as lots of metal on that razor I would be tempted to get a regrind.

11 1,945
 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM
User Info
(09-07-2015, 11:18 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: It as lots of metal on that razor I would be tempted to get a regrind.
Oh yeah, me too. The razor is a wedge and measures 13/16" and its heavy. If it's not a collector piece then I'm going to grind away. However, if the razor is some what of a collector piece and could have some significant value, then I'm going to let a professional do the restoration. I can do a pretty good job myself but I'm by no means a professional at restoring razors like some of the guys on this site.

0 11