09-06-2015, 12:50 PM
User Info
[Image: Spci689.jpg]

About 10 years ago, my dermatologist insisted that I start wearing a hat every day to protect against the damaging -- even dangerous -- effects of the sun.   I started with a sun hat and eventually became addicted to hats.   My favorites are by Borsalino of Italy.   The very inartistic selfie is one example:  I suspect the t-shirt is a bad match.

Lot's to say about this topic, but what is your favorite?   And how do your friends react to what  -- today, anyway --  is out of the ordinary.   On the subway in NYC, kids ask me if I am a cowboy.   And at least one (badly misinformed) stranger asked me if I am part of the cast of mad men.   My colleagues just think I am a non-conformist and a bit odd.  

Stanley

2 155
 09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice!

I purchased a nice Panama hat this summer, and will soon be looking for something better suited for fall/winter.

102 18,653
 09-06-2015, 12:57 PM
User Info
I owned many Panama hats, I used them all the time in my prior life.  Still have a couple, but I don't wear hats that often, mainly because I don't want to live without with my hair. Biggrin  I used to wear longer hair, but I just got tired of brushing and styling and the summer heat in Georgia is just too much for me.

But, I do love hats, I think they are cool.

61 3,796
 09-06-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
I didn't know that they fell out of style; makes no difference if they did though. I wear a hat for myself and I really don't care what others think. I've been referred to as the cowboy by the young also.

I just smile and feel sorry for folks who don't know what a good hat does for them.

My preference is for a wide brimmed Tilley lightweight with mesh in the summer. In the winter I wear the same hat sans mesh. The summer hat is whitish, the winter hat is light brown.

Of course there are other hats as well; the bill fisherman's hat that I wear for yard work, and if I'm shooting a match I wear a baseball cap.

32 6,460
 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 01:17 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I didn't know that they fell out of style; makes no difference if they did though. I wear a hat for myself and I really don't care what others think. I've been referred to as the cowboy by the young also.

I just smile and feel sorry for folks who don't know what a good hat does for them.

My preference is for a wide brimmed Tilley lightweight with mesh in the summer. In the winter I wear the same hat sans mesh. The summer hat is whitish, the winter hat is light brown.

Of course there are other hats as well; the bill fisherman's hat that I wear for yard work, and if I'm shooting a match I wear a baseball cap.

I also wear a Tilley in the summer:  that was my doc's original recommendation.  It's been through the washing machine half a dozen times, but still looks OK.  I'll try to post a picture or two in the next few days.

Stanley

2 155
 09-06-2015, 01:35 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 09-06-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 01:35 PM)Agravic Wrote:
[Image: NamLNkS.jpg]
Ravi you look like a character in a movie. Cant remember actor and movie though.

For me 9/10 if I'm in public I have on a baseball hat. Has to be fitted though and I bend the brim. I can't stand those fitted baseball hats wore sideways with the brim flat like the youth wears them.

If I'm going to be outside for awhile I like a boonie or other type hat. In style or not I could care less.

3 1,356
 09-06-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 01:35 PM)Agravic Wrote:
[Image: NamLNkS.jpg]

Got it! Johnny Depp in public enemies, he plays john dillinger and is dressed similar to you in this pic!

3 1,356
 09-06-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
I to need to wear a hat while out in the sun on advice from the doctor.  So I go between my summer hat and winter hat.  When mowing (wearing ear muffs) or other activities I have just baseball caps.  As for what others say - I guess you get to a point in your life where you don't care.  As long as my wife (my fashion cunsultant) doesn't throw up the flag - it doesn't matter.  Smile

Summer

[Image: size-s.jpg]

Winter

[Image: 61312.jpg]

4 465
 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I like the hat Ravi. I may have to get a Panama hat to mix in with my two Tilley hats.

46 18,385
 09-06-2015, 02:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-06-2015, 12:50 PM)I\m radioman4 Wrote: [Image: Spci689.jpg]

About 10 years ago, my dermatologist insisted that I start wearing a hat every day to protect against the damaging -- even dangerous -- effects of the sun.   I started with a sun hat and eventually became addicted to hats.   My favorites are by Borsalino of Italy.   The very inartistic selfie is one example:  I suspect the t-shirt is a bad match.

Lot's to say about this topic, but what is your favorite?   And how do your friends react to what  -- today, anyway --  is out of the ordinary.   On the subway in NYC, kids ask me if I am a cowboy.   And at least one (badly misinformed) stranger asked me if I am part of the cast of mad men.   My colleagues just think I am a non-conformist and a bit odd.  

Stanley
Nice hat Stanley!

46 18,385
 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Always liked hats and have a few different styles. These two Tilley Hats get the most use. Also the good old touque for winter outdoor work.

Bob

[Image: Summer-Tilley_zpsnjwnwchu.jpg]

[Image: Winter-Tilley_zps7fvsrpah.jpg]

0 1,694
 09-08-2015, 11:47 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I am a big hat guy too: panama, baseball/operator [like Otis though, no flat bill and I remove stickers], booney, watch, rarely without something when on my time.

This summer has been straw Goorin hats a lot. Solid quality and definite throwback style.

Looking good Ravi and Stanley!

2 1,180
 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
(09-06-2015, 02:59 PM)BobH Wrote: Always liked hats and have a few different styles. These two Tilley Hats get the most use. Also the good old touque for winter outdoor work.

Bob

[Image: Summer-Tilley_zpsnjwnwchu.jpg]

[Image: Winter-Tilley_zps7fvsrpah.jpg]

Fascinating!  These are exactly my Tilleys.    The Tilley is a real sun-protection hat, but is also very comfortable in hot weather.  And you can wash it in a washing machine.

Stanley

2 155
 09-08-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(09-08-2015, 11:47 AM)kwsher Wrote: I am a big hat guy too: panama, baseball/operator [like Otis though, no flat bill and I remove stickers], booney, watch, rarely without something when on my time.

This summer has been straw Goorin hats a lot. Solid quality and definite throwback style.

Looking good Ravi and Stanley!

I think Ravi looks terrific.  For me, the hat is a necessary covering for what isn't there any longer!

It is about time to transition over to fall hats (tho it is 93 degrees in NY today!), so I will take a few pictures of my various fedoras when I get a moment.

Stanley

2 155
 09-10-2015, 08:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I wear a fedora and a derby in the winter months.

178 23,809
 09-10-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
I started off wearing a fedora as a lark but they are really handy in lousy weather. As long as it's not a torrential storm you don't need an umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
I'm allergic to cold weather . In the winter months I wear a beanie or what we call a toboggan hear in the south. For the record I know what a toboggan is but growing up hearing it it just kind of stuck.

3 1,356
 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
I wish i could pull off a hat but my head is the size of a watermelon; i am worried the neighborhood kids would get frightened and start singing mean songs about me.

0 131
 09-12-2015, 05:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Great hats gentlemen! I enjoy wearing hats too. I've been wanting a fedora similar to the one worn by Inspector Henderson and Clark Kent for quite some time. Nice wool felt and fur felt hats are not cheap, let me tell you. Maybe this year I'll finally splurge on one. If it comes down to deciding between a nice hat or a nice brush, it'll be a tough decision for sure! Buying a nice hat is something one should definitely do at a genuine hat shop, but there are so few brick and mortar haberdashers these days. Guess I'll have to schlep into the city and do a little shopping. Hmmm... Angel

Btw, my wife does not like me in anything other than a baseball cap in summer or a "watch cap" in winter. She does NOT like my black corduroy "OTB" cap (her moniker - says it's an "old man cap"), but I like it, so I wear it anyway - one of the few things I exercise my personal veto power on. After thirty-two years together she's finally agreed to my blackout Elmer Fudd style hat as a winter alternative (I dig the flaps) and this beach hat. "Only at the beach." (The cheap sunglasses are a corny prop, LOL!)

[Image: cbtzoVU.jpg]

7 2,164