09-07-2015, 10:39 AM
User Info
I’d like to share my recent experience with everyone. Some of it may sound strange compared to the average shaver, but I think it will be helpful to all of those considering the switch to traditional style razors, newbie’s like myself, and parts of my technique and experience will be interesting to even the most experienced shavers here.

First, let me begin with my history. I’ve always, since I started shaving, been a wet shaver. (Tried an electric once out of curiosity, but it left a kind of close stubble that never got anywhere close as I’d like: SAS ) I began as a teenager with those old 3-pack Schick and Gillette disposables with one blade. Never really knew any difference, so that’s what I stuck with until late teens.

Then I was impressed with the marketing of the new Gillette Mach 3’s. Bought one, and used it for about 10 years. I was very impressed with quality over the disposables. Was smoother, didn’t cut myself ever anymore, no irritation and would certainly be defined as a CCS.

I did try the 5 blade Fusion when it came out, and hated it! The blade head was so thick, I couldn’t properly shave my upper lip. It lacked precision for me, and seemed a definite overall step back from the Mach 3.

The past 4-5 years I’ve been using the Schick Quattro. I was doubtful at first, as I was worried that it would be similar to the bulkiness of the Fusion, and I was a Gillette man so long, I felt like I was betraying an old friend. But the Fusion seemed so gimmicky to me, that it felt like Gillette abandoned me! Anyway, the Quattro was a step up from the Mach 3. I would say in between a CCS and a DFS.

Before I go on, and this is where it’s going to get weird for a lot of you, I must describe my technique, as it will be relevant later on.

I’ve never had anyone to teach me how to shave, just taught myself really. My very first shave as a teenager was in front of a mirror with canned foam. It seemed like a mess and a waste of time. So, instead, I began shaving in the shower, no mirror, and no foam, soap, or cream of any kind. I just keep my face wet from the shower head, wet the razor, and get to work. On top of not using soap or cream, I wouldn’t use any products pre or post shave… just water and blade.

What comes next may sound stranger. While most of us like close shaves, it never felt to me that going with the grain was close enough. So, after my very first couple of shaves, I tried the entire shave completely against the grain. Instead of sight, I go by the feel of the skin. I will pass the same areas 2-4 times, until I move on to the next section of the face. No traditional ‘passes’ here. Each section of the face is completely finished before I move on to the next section. Within a short amount of time, I perfected my technique as follows:

Face/upper lip/lower lip/chin: against the grain

Jaw line: across the grain

Neck: against the grain, with the grain, and across the grain

(I’ve since told my grandfather about my technique of using just water ATG, and his eyes just got wide, and said I might as well use a straight razor and finish the job! LOL)

That’s my back story. Now onto what brought me here to share with you all.

I’ve heard about the development about the OneBlade razor for about two years now as I’m a subscriber to a financial newsletter which Porter Stansberry (founder and owner of OneBlade) writes and publishes. He talked about getting a traditional straight razor shave from a barber in Italy, and how luxurious it was, how smooth, how close. He said he never realized what a great shave was possible, and wanted to find a razor with as similar experience to that in the safety razor market. He wanted the closeness and quality of the straight razor experience, with the ease of use and safety of a safety razor. He couldn’t find it. And so he claims he invested over $2 million of his own money, plus some unspecified outside investor money, to pour into R&D, hiring the top engineers and designers available to make the best possible safety razor. Stansberry himself and his investors took no part of the design and engineering, they just poured a crap load of their money into hiring the best team to do it for them.  (There are whole write-ups on this process if anyone is interested.)

I waited and waited for a release announcement. Now, the razor came out a number of months ago, but when I saw the $300 price tag, I stopped. I was very skeptical, and was not about to blow $300+ until I saw some serious and detailed 3rd party reviews, from shavers that were experienced.

I read all the forums, review sites, and saw some youtube videos. Now, this is the reason I’m writing here instead of another forum. While there was skepticism here initially, at least people were willing to try the OneBlade. On every other forum, this razor was called a scam from a con artist. And every once in awhile, an actual user came along to share their experience. More often than not, they were mocked and ignored by people who never tried the razor, and were too prejudiced, cheap, (and maybe jealous)… to be happy for the guy who gave the positive review. Not so here. At Shave Nook, while there was skepticism, there was openness, eagerness and curiosity about others’ genuine experiences. So, before I go on, I have to thank Ravi, Hector, Lorenzo, Phil, Rob W, Ed, ddk13, Harvey, Nathan, Tom, rawfox1, sch1989, and everyone on this board in general! You all are some of the most positive, supportive, and truthful bunch on ANY forum, shaving or not!

The OneBlade Experience

As I was getting what seemed like the best, and certainly most expensive, razor I’ve ever purchased, I decided to go all out, and find the best soaps, creams, brushes that were highest reviewed to complement my OneBlade once it arrived. I couldn’t choose just one of anything, so I wanted to start with a handful of the best. (No Alum, balm, or pre/aftershave for now.)

Brushes: Plisson synthetic and Whipped Dog synthetic (couldn’t justify the price of the highest quality badgers for starters, and read many even preferred these synthetics)

Soaps and Creams: Martin de Candre (original lavender), Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary, Castle Forbes (Cedar/Sandalwood), Mystic Water (Marrakesh and Cedar & Sage)

So, I broke with all my personal tradition, broke out the Plisson and MdC, and bowl lathered. (MdC really is the best of this bunch. The creamiest, thickest lather out there. The effects of this soap just moisturize and love your skin all day! However, the wife likes the SV70 and its smell, so guess which one I’ll be using when she’s around???!!!) I saddled up to the mirror and even shaved WTG mostly (but XTG for jaw line, ATG for chin, and all three on the neck, using traditional passes. I finished my first shave with the OneBlade with 2 passes and some buffing.

I was disappointed to see that I cut myself on the upper lip and near my ear, going WTG, and that I had some irritation on one side of my neck. (Anybody that says this blade can’t cut you either has leather for skin, or has gotten so used to the DE blades that they inserted this Feather SE in backwards!) Regardless of the cuts and light irritation, I couldn’t stop touching my face all day! I truly never understood the concept of BBS until I had this shave, with this razor. It felt like heaven, that my skin was made of angel feathers!

I attributed the cuts and irritation to my completely changing technique (mirror, soaps, WTG, etc.) So, for the next couple shaves I mirror shaved with soaps again but AGT, like I have in the past. Still got a cut or two, but no more irritation. Shaves still BBS, but more comfortable to my usual style. I loved the quality of the shaves, but the cuts were hurting my ego!

So, for the last few shaves, I went back to my original style. Shower shave, no mirror, no soap, AGT, just my OneBlade and water. Guess what? Perfect shave!!! No cuts, nor irritation, BBS. And I have to tell you, I normally only shave every other day. But with the OneBlade, it cuts so close and smooth, my second day without a shave feels like I can go a third day without a shave! Meaning, it seems to go about 50% closer/deeper than my Mach 3 or Quattro! Really unbelievable!

Some people call this razor ‘mild’. I guess it is in the sense that it’s not going to tear your face up, meaning OneBlade really does put the word ‘safe’ in safety razor, but I believe this is just about as close as a shave a person can possibly get without taking the word ‘safe’ out of safety razor. Really, for any closer shave one might as well go with a straight razor, and master that technique. I’m not there yet, and may never be. But for anyone that wants a ‘safe’ safety razor, that will cut as close and as smooth as you can possibly get without a huge learning curve for mastering different techniques, OneBlade is the razor for them. In fact, this razor is for anyone not using a straight and has the money to spend!

Looking forward to many years of wonderful shaves with the most beautiful razor I have ever seen! And many, many thanks to all you wonderful folks at the ‘Nook’. Without you guys, I wouldn’t have the best shave of my life. You are truly gentlemen!

(BTW, I’m not going to give up on my soaps and brushes, as the feeling of them is wonderful, and one can always learn, right?)

2 308
 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Len.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with OneBlade, and enjoy the forum!

102 18,650
 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience  Thumbup

61 3,796
 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM
User Info
Welcome and thank you for sharing your insights!

I, too, am a bit unorthodox as I do many ATG passes than most would. Shy

83 21,077
 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
Len, Welcome to TSN. Enjoy !

Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts.  I'm glad that somehow we can help people find the best way to shave. IMO the greatest merit for it to happen in the TSN is that we have a high standard of management and the excellent staff.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 09-07-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
(09-07-2015, 10:39 AM)Len Wrote: I’d like to share my recent experience with everyone. Some of it may sound strange compared to the average shaver, but I think it will be helpful to all of those considering the switch to traditional style razors, newbie’s like myself, and parts of my technique and experience will be interesting to even the most experienced shavers here.

First, let me begin with my history. I’ve always, since I started shaving, been a wet shaver. (Tried an electric once out of curiosity, but it left a kind of close stubble that never got anywhere close as I’d like: SAS ) I began as a teenager with those old 3-pack Schick and Gillette disposables with one blade. Never really knew any difference, so that’s what I stuck with until late teens.

Then I was impressed with the marketing of the new Gillette Mach 3’s. Bought one, and used it for about 10 years. I was very impressed with quality over the disposables. Was smoother, didn’t cut myself ever anymore, no irritation and would certainly be defined as a CCS.

I did try the 5 blade Fusion when it came out, and hated it! The blade head was so thick, I couldn’t properly shave my upper lip. It lacked precision for me, and seemed a definite overall step back from the Mach 3.

The past 4-5 years I’ve been using the Schick Quattro. I was doubtful at first, as I was worried that it would be similar to the bulkiness of the Fusion, and I was a Gillette man so long, I felt like I was betraying an old friend. But the Fusion seemed so gimmicky to me, that it felt like Gillette abandoned me! Anyway, the Quattro was a step up from the Mach 3. I would say in between a CCS and a DFS.

Before I go on, and this is where it’s going to get weird for a lot of you, I must describe my technique, as it will be relevant later on.

I’ve never had anyone to teach me how to shave, just taught myself really. My very first shave as a teenager was in front of a mirror with canned foam. It seemed like a mess and a waste of time. So, instead, I began shaving in the shower, no mirror, and no foam, soap, or cream of any kind. I just keep my face wet from the shower head, wet the razor, and get to work. On top of not using soap or cream, I wouldn’t use any products pre or post shave… just water and blade.

What comes next may sound stranger. While most of us like close shaves, it never felt to me that going with the grain was close enough. So, after my very first couple of shaves, I tried the entire shave completely against the grain. Instead of sight, I go by the feel of the skin. I will pass the same areas 2-4 times, until I move on to the next section of the face. No traditional ‘passes’ here. Each section of the face is completely finished before I move on to the next section. Within a short amount of time, I perfected my technique as follows:

Face/upper lip/lower lip/chin: against the grain

Jaw line: across the grain

Neck: against the grain, with the grain, and across the grain

(I’ve since told my grandfather about my technique of using just water ATG, and his eyes just got wide, and said I might as well use a straight razor and finish the job! LOL)

That’s my back story. Now onto what brought me here to share with you all.

I’ve heard about the development about the OneBlade razor for about two years now as I’m a subscriber to a financial newsletter which Porter Stansberry (founder and owner of OneBlade) writes and publishes. He talked about getting a traditional straight razor shave from a barber in Italy, and how luxurious it was, how smooth, how close. He said he never realized what a great shave was possible, and wanted to find a razor with as similar experience to that in the safety razor market. He wanted the closeness and quality of the straight razor experience, with the ease of use and safety of a safety razor. He couldn’t find it. And so he claims he invested over $2 million of his own money, plus some unspecified outside investor money, to pour into R&D, hiring the top engineers and designers available to make the best possible safety razor. Stansberry himself and his investors took no part of the design and engineering, they just poured a crap load of their money into hiring the best team to do it for them.  (There are whole write-ups on this process if anyone is interested.)

I waited and waited for a release announcement. Now, the razor came out a number of months ago, but when I saw the $300 price tag, I stopped. I was very skeptical, and was not about to blow $300+ until I saw some serious and detailed 3rd party reviews, from shavers that were experienced.

I read all the forums, review sites, and saw some youtube videos. Now, this is the reason I’m writing here instead of another forum. While there was skepticism here initially, at least people were willing to try the OneBlade. On every other forum, this razor was called a scam from a con artist. And every once in awhile, an actual user came along to share their experience. More often than not, they were mocked and ignored by people who never tied the razor, and were too prejudiced, cheap, (and maybe jealous)… to be happy for the guy who gave the positive review. Not so here. At Shave Nook, while there was skepticism, there was openness, eagerness and curiosity about others’ genuine experiences. So, before I go on, I have to thank Ravi, Hector, Lorenzo, Phil, Rob W, Ed, ddk13, Harvey, Nathan, Tom, rawfox1, sch1989, and everyone on this board in general! You all are some of the most positive, supportive, and truthful bunch on ANY forum, shaving or not!

The OneBlade Experience

As I was getting what seemed like the best, and certainly most expensive, razor I’ve ever purchased, I decided to go all out, and find the best soaps, creams, brushes that were highest reviewed to complement my OneBlade once it arrived. I couldn’t choose just one of anything, so I wanted to start with a handful of the best. (No Alum, balm, or pre/aftershave for now.)

Brushes: Plisson synthetic and Whipped Dog synthetic (couldn’t justify the price of the highest quality badgers for starters, and read many even preferred these synthetics)

Soaps and Creams: Martin de Candre (original lavender), Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary, Castle Forbes (Cedar/Sandalwood), Mystic Water (Marrakesh and Cedar & Sage)

So, I broke with all my personal tradition, broke out the Plisson and MdC, and bowl lathered. (MdC really is the best of this bunch. The creamiest, thickest lather out there. The effects of this soap just moisturize and love your skin all day! However, the wife likes the SV70 and its smell, so guess which one I’ll be using when she’s around???!!!) I saddled up to the mirror and even shaved WTG mostly (but XTG for jaw line, ATG for chin, and all three on the neck, using traditional passes. I finished my first shave with the OneBlade with 2 passes and some buffing.

I was disappointed to see that I cut myself on the upper lip and near my ear, going WTG, and that I had some irritation on one side of my neck. (Anybody that says this blade can’t cut you either has leather for skin, or has gotten so used to the DE blades that they inserted this Feather SE in backwards!) Regardless of the cuts and light irritation, I couldn’t stop touching my face all day! I truly never understood the concept of BBS until I had this shave, with this razor. It felt like heaven, that my skin was made of angel feathers!

I attributed the cuts and irritation to my completely changing technique (mirror, soaps, WTG, etc.) So, for the next couple shaves I mirror shaved with soaps again but AGT, like I have in the past. Still got a cut or two, but no more irritation. Shaves still BBS, but more comfortable to my usual style. I loved the quality of the shaves, but the cuts were hurting my ego!

So, for the last few shaves, I went back to my original style. Shower shave, no mirror, no soap, AGT, just my OneBlade and water. Guess what? Perfect shave!!! No cuts, nor irritation, BBS. And I have to tell you, I normally only shave every other day. But with the OneBlade, it cuts so close and smooth, my second day without a shave feels like I can go a third day without a shave! Meaning, it seems to go about 50% closer/deeper than my Mach 3 or Quattro! Really unbelievable!

Some people call this razor ‘mild’. I guess it is in the sense that it’s not going to tear your face up, meaning OneBlade really does put the word ‘safe’ in safety razor, but I believe this is just about as close as a shave a person can possibly get without taking the word ‘safe’ out of safety razor. Really, for any closer shave one might as well go with a straight razor, and master that technique. I’m not there yet, and may never be. But for anyone that wants a ‘safe’ safety razor, that will cut as close and as smooth as you can possibly get without a huge learning curve for mastering different techniques, OneBlade is the razor for them. In fact, this razor is for anyone not using a straight and has the money to spend!

Looking forward to many years of wonderful shaves with the most beautiful razor I have ever seen! And many, many thanks to all you wonderful folks at the ‘Nook’. Without you guys, I wouldn’t have the best shave of my life. You are truly gentlemen!

(BTW, I’m not going to give up on my soaps and brushes, as the feeling of them is wonderful, and one can always learn, right?)
Hi Len, thanks for the mention and I enjoyed your story of shaving. As you can see every one has a different way of shaving and different opinions. The Oneblade is a wonderful shaver and top notch quality. It is one of my favorites and worth the expense especially after hearing from you the cost that went into developing and bringing this razor to market. Again thanks for your post and keep enjoying your shaves.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

19 582
 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
Very enjoyable read.

13 947
 09-07-2015, 12:42 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
Congrats and I'm glad I could be apart of your decision making ! Good choice on SV 70th SV is one of my top soaps along with cold river soapworks.

23 598
 09-07-2015, 01:00 PM
User Info
Very nice review Len.  Welcome to the forum.

3 193
 09-07-2015, 11:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the welcome and warm wishes, gentlemen. Smile 

Like I said, even though I knew about the OneBlade, I'd have never given it a chance if it wasn't for the honest reviews and great community here! Now I have the best shave of my life! I look forward to continue learning about this re-surging art of shaving with all you experienced folks, and I hope I've added to someone's learning as well.

Speaking of, like others here, I get 2 great shaves with the OneBlade using the Feather FHS-5 SE Stainless. The blade severely dulls after this point. But I do notice a difference from the first and second shave, and can understand why OneBlade recommends changing the blade for every shave.  Buying the blade in bulk from Connaught has significantly reduced the per blade cost to less than $0.40 USD per blade. I expect that if the OneBlade gets popular enough, more American vendors of this Feather blade will stock and offer for even cheaper as a more local option. But even if the blade were 4 times as what I paid Connaught , and had to change the blade every shave, the cost for me is peanuts compared to the luxury and quality of the shave! That's really what it comes down to more than the marginal relative cost.

I also forgot to mention, that the grip, balance, weight, and angle of the OneBlade is perfect and intuitive. Not heavy, yet solid, and feels like a precise tool in my hand. The metal is slightly thicker moving towards the base of the handle, which balances the weight of the other end of the head. It is a precise, elegant, luxurious, and very sturdy tool, and the craftsmanship is solid enough to where while the forever guarantee gives peace of mind, it doesn't seem like it will ever be needed . I also notice that the spring action/pivot is only vertical. It seems to be a safety feature rather than moving easily with the contours of the face. Really the pivot seems to only play a part if too much pressure is applied at certain angles to prevent cutting one's self. Yes, blade insertion is very easy! Push in through the back, click. Pull out at an angle, pulling up. Easier blade change here than a cartridge! No unscrewing, or taking anything apart here, as the razor head and handle are all of one piece. 

Really cool that each OneBlade is individually numbered. Makes it unique and individualized. Mine is #997. The $1,000 collectors versions are are numbered #11-#101, which also come with 360 blades as a package.

I don't expect I'll be collecting all the vintage and modern razors as some of you have, as I am the kind of guy that just wants the best quality razor, and will stick to that exclusively until I'm convinced a better alternative is here. But I do look forward to experimenting with different soaps and brushes. If and when I master mirror shaving, I'll probably take the plunge and find the best quality badger I can, maybe a Thater or Shavemac, from what I've seen and heard so far, and compare that to the Plisson and Whipped Dog synthetics. 

Thanks celestino, for the reassurance on my near total ATG shave. From what I read, most razors cannot perform as well ATG, and this is a great test of any razor. The OneBlade definitely passes this test!

sch1989, Yes the SV70 is an awesome soap! This is my #2 soap after MdC. Like I said though, the SV70 is the wife's #1 soap on me, so more often than not will be using the SV70... Happy wife, happy life... Tongue 

I look forward to keep learning more here, both with technique and products. And I'm more than happy to answer any questions about my own technique, the OneBlade, or other products I use!

2 308
 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM
User Info
welcome to the nook, I suggest you get a badger brush at least to try simpson makes some quality best badger brushes for around $60 or shavemac has some wonderful brushes for a little over $100. I myself am not a huge fan of synthetics, ymmv but imo you cant beat a badger brush.  you can also get an omega boar brush like the 10066 for $10.  I reccommend trying all types before chosing one type to stick with.  you could be missing out.

79 824
 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
Will definitely be trying a badger, as soon as I master mirror/soap shaving... Biggrin 

Am slowly getting there. Once I do though, I won't be worried too much about the price. Will just want the very highest quality to start off with... no smell, no scritch, no (or almost) losing hairs in use, best lather-ability, durable, softest on face, etc.

I expect later I'll start a thread on people's ideas for a first badger brush with these qualities. I probably would have gone for the TSN Paladin, as I've heard so many good things on it, but unfortunately, it was limited and is sold out. Sad

I do really like the look of that custom Thater on the OneBlade website. Apparently, its massive and has one good review from here. Not too sure yet, and not quite ready, but I'm willing to listen to ideas... Idea Badger

2 308
 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
There are some excellent brushes, but this is very personal, just trying you will know what Knot size and what type of Badger you'll like it. IMO these are the best around. Shavemac 2-Band, Simpsons in Manchuriam also in 3-Band, Paladin, Thater 2-Band. I should probably be leaving some options off that list, that certainly some of our friends will complete. I don't know the Brush of OneBlade to give my opinion.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 09-11-2015, 08:10 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(09-11-2015, 01:30 PM)Lorenzo Wrote: There are some excellent brushes, but this is very personal, just trying you will know what Knot size and what type of Badger you'll like it. IMO these are the best around. Shavemac 2-Band, Simpsons in Manchuriam also in 3-Band, Paladin, Thater 2-Band. I should probably be leaving some options off that list, that certainly some of our friends will complete. I don't know the Brush of OneBlade to give my opinion.

Lorenzo.

The one blade brush is a thater 2 band silvertip knot so I'm sure it is superb! Just very pricey ! Ouch!

23 598
 09-11-2015, 08:59 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Hi Len, welcome to the Shave nook. An excellent wright up, very enjoyable! Its good to hear that you have found something that works for you.

I do a 2 pass shave WTG then ATG every shave. For me its the only way to get s super smooth shave.

28 1,622
 09-11-2015, 11:41 PM
User Info
(09-11-2015, 08:10 PM)sch1989 Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 01:30 PM)Lorenzo Wrote: There are some excellent brushes, but this is very personal, just trying you will know what Knot size and what type of Badger you'll like it. IMO these are the best around. Shavemac 2-Band, Simpsons in Manchuriam also in 3-Band, Paladin, Thater 2-Band. I should probably be leaving some options off that list, that certainly some of our friends will complete. I don't know the Brush of OneBlade to give my opinion.

Lorenzo.

The one blade brush is a thater 2 band silvertip knot so I'm sure it is superb! Just very pricey ! Ouch!
Thumbup

29 1,084
 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
(09-11-2015, 12:27 PM)Len Wrote: Will definitely be trying a badger, as soon as I master mirror/soap shaving... Biggrin 

Am slowly getting there. Once I do though, I won't be worried too much about the price. Will just want the very highest quality to start off with... no smell, no scritch, no (or almost) losing hairs in use, best lather-ability, durable, softest on face, etc.

I expect later I'll start a thread on people's ideas for a first badger brush with these qualities. I probably would have gone for the TSN Paladin, as I've heard so many good things on it, but unfortunately, it was limited and is sold out. Sad

I do really like the look of that custom Thater on the OneBlade website. Apparently, its massive and has one good review from here. Not too sure yet, and not quite ready, but I'm willing to listen to ideas... Idea Badger

What you wrote describes a great many synthetics. The finest synthetic I have used is the Simpsons CH2. It has everything you wrote of to the nth degree. But all synthetics have them to one degree or another. One thing that you didn't mention is backbone, and the CH2 has that as well, to a degree that badger can never replicate. If you do order one, ask for one with a 54mm loft. You won't be sorry IMO.

But as it's already been written, don't short change yourself by going in to your brush experimentation with preconceived notions. They all have their good qualities. Too, a really great brush does NOT  need to have a high price. The under $10 Omegas are really good brushes. Price is no indicator of the lather produced or of the shave enjoyment. Too, just because I or someone else likes a brush doesn't mean that you will. Go into it with open eyes and form your own opinions.

Good that you're enjoying your shaves so far! It just gets better!

32 6,459
 09-13-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
(09-11-2015, 08:10 PM)sch1989 Wrote: The one blade brush is a thater 2 band silvertip knot so I'm sure it is superb! Just very pricey ! Ouch!

Well, I'm looking right now on the Simpsons website, and I see their largest super badger Polo priced at $520, converted to USD. And this is not a custom job, with that olive wood handle and larger dimensions for a Thater, nor does it come with a unique stainless steel stand, as the Thater OneBlade brush does. Considering the quality of the razor, I'm sure the brush OneBlade had Thater make for them and the stand they designed themselves is of the very highest quality, and massive to boot!

But when you are looking for the very highest quality, price becomes secondary really. When I buy my first badger, it won't matter that much to me whether it's $100 or $500, as long as its the best I can find, and am fully satisfied with my shave, and it exceeds the performance I can find elsewhere. And really, if a $20 synthetic does the best job, that will be my #1 go to brush.

(09-11-2015, 08:59 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: I do a 2 pass shave WTG then ATG every shave. For me its the only way to get s super smooth shave.

I'm personally convinced that one cannot get the smoothest shave possible without going ATG. Shaving over the hair WTG closes the hair follicle down in the direction of the hairs' growth. By going ATG, one opens up the follicles in their opposite growth direction, thereby cutting the hair closer to the root. Of course, this also puts one in more danger for cutting and/or irritation, but success here comes down to technique and practice, not to mention the quality of the blade and razor...

(09-12-2015, 10:26 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 12:27 PM)Len Wrote: Will definitely be trying a badger, as soon as I master mirror/soap shaving... Biggrin 

What you wrote describes a great many synthetics. The finest synthetic I have used is the Simpsons CH2. It has everything you wrote of to the nth degree. But all synthetics have them to one degree or another. One thing that you didn't mention is backbone, and the CH2 has that as well, to a degree that badger can never replicate. If you do order one, ask for one with a 54mm loft. You won't be sorry IMO.

But as it's already been written, don't short change yourself by going in to your brush experimentation with preconceived notions. They all have their good qualities. Too, a really great brush does NOT  need to have a high price. The under $10 Omegas are really good brushes. Price is no indicator of the lather produced or of the shave enjoyment. Too, just because I or someone else likes a brush doesn't mean that you will. Go into it with open eyes and form your own opinions.

Well, if all those qualities I described are most often best found in synthetics, a synthetic man I will stay! I have no personal nostalgia for animal hair or traditional brush types, and it seems the more I read, that there is a common prejudice against synthetics merely because it is something a lot of shavers didn't grow up with... was made in a lab... etc. What is going to consistently do the job in the best way possible? As synthetic brush technology develops, I think it will eventually reach a point where there is no question... and animal hair brushes will be a thing of the past, mainly for traditional enthusiasts. Kind of like how the automobile replaced the horse... autos took a lot of flak for awhile, and while horse shows and horse racing still exists, not many people anymore would go to work on a horse, as the performance, reliability, and cost of autos blow horse riding out of the water. If synthetic brush technology isn't already there yet (it may be), one must conclude that it eventually will be.

I looked for the Simpsons CH2 in a 54mm loft, could only find the 52mm loft. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I may wait until the larger version is in greater production. Right now, my Plisson is amazing! But I look to add more, and hope the badger I eventually choose can match or exceed my synthetics.

BTW gentlemen... I am curious... OneBlade is most often described as a 'mild' razor, all other modern SE razors are not reviewed as mild. I was looking over the DE section of TSN, and the Feather AS-D2 is also described as very mild, but excellent quality. Is there anyone here that owns both the OneBlade and the Feather AS-D2, and can compare and contrast the use and performance of these two razors in all possible factors, besides the fact that they are both mild, and one is an SE while the other is a DE?

2 308
 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 01:12 PM)Len Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 08:10 PM)sch1989 Wrote: The one blade brush is a thater 2 band silvertip knot so I'm sure it is superb! Just very pricey ! Ouch!

Well, I'm looking right now on the Simpsons website, and I see their largest super badger Polo priced at $520, converted to USD. And this is not a custom job, with that olive wood handle and larger dimensions for a Thater, nor does it come with a unique stainless steel stand, as the Thater OneBlade brush does. Considering the quality of the razor, I'm sure the brush OneBlade had Thater make for them and the stand they designed themselves is of the very highest quality, and massive to boot!

But when you are looking for the very highest quality, price becomes secondary really. When I buy my first badger, it won't matter that much to me whether it's $100 or $500, as long as its the best I can find, and am fully satisfied with my shave, and it exceeds the performance I can find elsewhere. And really, if a $20 synthetic does the best job, that will be my #1 go to brush.

(09-11-2015, 08:59 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: I do a 2 pass shave WTG then ATG every shave. For me its the only way to get s super smooth shave.

I'm personally convinced that one cannot get the smoothest shave possible without going ATG. Shaving over the hair WTG closes the hair follicle down in the direction of the hairs' growth. By going ATG, one opens up the follicles in their opposite growth direction, thereby cutting the hair closer to the root. Of course, this also puts one in more danger for cutting and/or irritation, but success here comes down to technique and practice, not to mention the quality of the blade and razor...

(09-12-2015, 10:26 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Well, if all those qualities I described are most often best found in synthetics, a synthetic man I will stay! I have no personal nostalgia for animal hair or traditional brush types, and it seems the more I read, that there is a common prejudice against synthetics merely because it is something a lot of shavers didn't grow up with... was made in a lab... etc. What is going to consistently do the job in the best way possible? As synthetic brush technology develops, I think it will eventually reach a point where there is no question... and animal hair brushes will be a thing of the past, mainly for traditional enthusiasts. Kind of like how the automobile replaced the horse... autos took a lot of flak for awhile, and while horse shows and horse racing still exists, not many people anymore would go to work on a horse, as the performance, reliability, and cost of autos blow horse riding out of the water. If synthetic brush technology isn't already there yet (it may be), one must conclude that it eventually will be.

I looked for the Simpsons CH2 in a 54mm loft, could only find the 52mm loft. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I may wait until the larger version is in greater production. Right now, my Plisson is amazing! But I look to add more, and hope the badger I eventually choose can match or exceed my synthetics.

BTW gentlemen... I am curious... OneBlade is most often described as a 'mild' razor, all other modern SE razors are not reviewed as mild. I was looking over the DE section of TSN, and the Feather AS-D2 is also described as very mild, but excellent quality. Is there anyone here that owns both the OneBlade and the Feather AS-D2, and can compare and contrast the use and performance of these two razors in all possible factors, besides the fact that they are both mild, and one is an SE while the other is a DE?
The feather AS-D2 is more mild than the Oneblade. Oneblade slightly more aggressive but smooth feeling. Both smooth shavers, I like to start with the Oneblade, and finish buffing with the feather. The design and feel of each are different and is difficult to describe.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

19 582
 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
Well said sir, I've been wanting to try the One Blade, but with the price that high I want to wait for a few reviews to come out before I buy it.  Ive heard mostly good things the only bad was that it was too mild, but i like mild feel as long as i get aggressive results

2 58