09-07-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
I am putting knots in old handles. If I'm looking at TGN vs Whipped Dog, Whipped Dog has better pricing on the high mountain badger than TGN. What am I missing that should make me buy the TGN knot at the significantly higher price?

EDIT: I should say what this is for. I need a 20mm knot to go in an EverReady 100T handle. I could widen it out to 24mm, but not more. Advice welcome.

4 180
 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM
User Info
I have ordered from Larry at Whipped Dog, TGN, and Virginia Sheng - badgers and boars - and have been pleased with all purchases.  BTW, Virginia Sheng has the best prices if you do not waiting a week or so to receive the knot.  I got a High Mountain from Whipped Dog and it is a super knot.

Ed

22 752
 09-07-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
There is also a Nathan Clark Envy White, which is brilliant looking knot. I have one coming to me as we speak in a custom handle. He has only 22mm in stock, but will be seeing larger knots back in stock in a month or so from our last conversation. 

Artisinia Romaera Manchurian knots are still in stock and are some of the best knots ever made. 

two suppliers that not many people mention, but their reputations are significant

0 517
 09-07-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
The TGN Finest knots are excellent.  I have not tried knots from any other vendors.

50 6,079
 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
I've had good and bad luck with the WD HMW. One has been spectacular, the others were all floppy duds. TGN Finest knots are always fantastic (at least the 25+ I've ordered). I've heard good things about WSP HMW as well. And as others have mentioned up above, Romera Knots are still available and are amazing. There's a guy named Anthony who sells on Etsy who has a "Miami Nites" badger that I've been told compares favorably to TGN Finest knots and are similarly priced when you figure in that he does free shipping. I've not tried them but I buy tons of synthetics from him and I have been very pleased with all of them.

43 207
 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM
User Info
Love my WD high mountain 30 mm version. Enough backbone for face lathering, though the knot is a monster to tame.

0 14