06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
How dose everyone clean their DE/SE razors to keep them looking good?
Does anyone use oil on them to prevent corrosion?

0 197
 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Just a nice dishwashing soap and a dip in Barbicide every now and again. I'd only use mineral oil in a TTO to loosen up gunk that might be causing it not to open correctly.

116 3,804
 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
PAW,

There was a time when I'd oil my razors, but I recently read a post (was it here?) that suggested Gillette at any rate wanted them run w/o oil; water only. It makes a certain amount of sense to prevent varnish, soap scum, and whatever else from combining into concrete.

I have one razor that after cleaning works fine, but if I lubricate it the blade cover sticks.

Now I only clean them with a good detergent soak, a light brushing with an old used toothbrush, and maybe a dab of toothpaste as a polish. All of that rarely. It's my belief that like firearms, razors can actually get more worn out from love than from actual use.

32 6,308
 06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
User Info
I just rinse off the shaving slag and put it in the barbi until I get around to taking it out--anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours. Then rinse it off, shake dry and put it in the stand. I don't use TTO's so I don't have to worry about all the internal gunk.

I opened up an old Slim and it was caked with a blackish-greenish crust, kinda put me off of TTO's altogether. You'd be surprised how fast that stuff builds up. I don't even like hollow handles that aren't see-thru tubes, lord only knows what's hiding inside those things.

9 451
 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-26-2012, 10:49 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I opened up an old Slim and it was caked with a blackish-greenish crust, kinda put me off of TTO's altogether. You'd be surprised how fast that stuff builds up. I don't even like hollow handles that aren't see-thru tubes, lord only knows what's hiding inside those things.
I didn't need to know that. Now I feel as if I have to do something about it. Perhaps if I let myself forget your post, I'll lose the sense of dissonance.

1 290
 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM
User Info
If the TTO Gillette just came from an Ebay auction and it's gunky looking I steam it in an old pan with a veggie steamer basket. The basket keeps the razor off the bottom of the pan, and the steam really helps to loosen up all the gunk. Afterwards I give it a good cleaning with a tooth brush and detergent to get whatever's left. I don't lube my razors because oil attracts gunk and I've never had a problem with any of my razors not working dry. Don't Steam any razor that might have plastic parts in it.

Clayton

6 617
 06-27-2012, 03:52 PM
User Info
i would never use oil in them as i just read that it contributes to the clogging. You actually want soap residue to build up in the TTOs to facilitate the turning. For everday use, hot water rinse is fine and monthly cleaning with soap and toothbrush or baking soda, or other gentle cleaner. Good luck.

75 20,883
 06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
This helps out a lot, thanks everybody.

0 197
 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
I've often wondered if a water Pik would be of use in shooting water into crevices and tubes that are difficult to get into. One of these days I need to try it.

32 6,308
 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
(06-26-2012, 11:03 PM)Persius Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 10:49 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I opened up an old Slim and it was caked with a blackish-greenish crust, kinda put me off of TTO's altogether. You'd be surprised how fast that stuff builds up. I don't even like hollow handles that aren't see-thru tubes, lord only knows what's hiding inside those things.
I didn't need to know that. Now I feel as if I have to do something about it. Perhaps if I let myself forget your post, I'll lose the sense of dissonance.

I'm sorry and I know it's disgusting, but it's true. Adjustables have many parts to cling to, so it's probably worse for them. I took the knob part out of my 2pc Hoffritz and it was coated with a greasy black substance, I assume it was rancid cream residue because it smelled horrible. Yep, pretty gross.

It may make you feel sick, but it's better to know than not know. My advice is to take them apart as far as possible and give them a soak in hot water and Dawn once a month. Scrubbing bubbles are a good follow up. I use barbicide, but it's not designed to remove grease build up, that's why Dawn and hot water soaks are good. I would use a degreaser, but have no idea what it might do to the finish. I imagine oven cleaner would be ok on some platings, but probably not gold.

It you're good with your hands, taking them apart once in a while is a good idea--depending on how much you use the razor.

(06-27-2012, 07:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've often wondered if a water Pik would be of use in shooting water into crevices and tubes that are difficult to get into. One of these days I need to try it.

That sounds like a great idea, though I would use an old one so I could put some soap or scrubbing bubbles in it. Shoot it straight down the head and into the handle of a TTO. I think it could work great.

9 451
 06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
User Info
What does TTO mean?

0 30
 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
(06-28-2012, 11:20 AM)m14msgt Wrote: What does TTO mean?

Turn To Open

You'll find more abbreviations and acronyms here.

32 6,308
 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
User Info