09-08-2015, 12:39 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I guess I'm taking another further step into maintaining my own straights as I was able to nab a 'cheap' Thuri from ebay last night. Its described as a 'blue green' Thuringian as I'm curious as to the finishing stone feel this may offer. I recently got my hands on a Le Grelot that was finished off a JNAT and the feel was incredibly smooth and different feel from my current 2 straights that were honed off coticules (from what I was told). 

It doesn't include a slurry stone, but I'm not sure if one is needed as I've seen videos that show its use with and without the stone.

But I've been playing with a coticule and that's been quite educational from the practical standpoint in learning how to hone, though there's probably quite a long way to go for me to fully understand the coti. I still intend to add a high grit synthetic as recommended to me in another thread, but at the price I got the Thuri at, its acceptable and exciting experiment. 
Pretty funny when I thought I would want to keep a single stone solution for just maintaining the edge. 

Here's pictures of the new Thuri that's coming from the ebay listing (in the last photo one corner is described to have a low spot.. left the prior owner's watermark in the photo)
[Image: EGcjZ7C.jpg][Image: gtHFK4y.jpg][Image: Bf6hqpc.jpg]

35 1,329
 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Nice catch!! Get your blade as sharp as you can and then strop on flat paper or cardstock and use just a few laps on the Thuringian. Looks to be a nice one!
Learn it and your Coticule and you are set fr life!
~Richard

8 1,194
 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Thanks Richard for the advice and kind words, much appreciated ... I can't wait for this to arrive!

35 1,329
 09-10-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
Not sure where you would add the synth. I think you have all you need for smooth keen edges. If you want to try slurry you can use a small diamond plate. They are pretty cheap. Get the highest grit you can find. You won't need a thick slurry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 17
 09-10-2015, 08:59 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I originally started out with the intention to get the Naniwa 10k or 12k or some high grit synthetic for edge maintenance only and ended up with a coticule instead.. as to where a synthetic stone would sit against my current setup, I don't believe it has a formal spot, maybe if I give up playing with the Coticule I currently have and use a Naniwa 12k (or something in this 'class' of synthetic hone) and then go to the Thuringian to finish was an idea (not sure if that's feasible, nor have read about that... or even if that idea is backwards).

granted this is all the ideas of a novice who's initial intention was to keep 1 stone then happened upon a coticule after starting a discussion which the advice was a synthetic in that range would serve that purpose I wanted  Rolleyes

35 1,329