09-09-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
I've come a long way ever since I started DE shaving with EJ89 that bought off of amazon along with a couple of sample packs of blades.
With every razor upgrade, we feel like we have found a perfect razor, then the "NEW" wears off in a few months and we look for something better and more magical.

Having found your perfect razor now (hopefully or en route), what does your old/first razor feel like?
Does it suck like your mind "remember" it to be or is it surprisingly better than you remembered since the bad memories are likely due to your poor skill at the time?

I might revisit EJ89 soon when I get a chance to see what I think of it. I should have kept it for revisiting purposes, but sold it off as soon as I upgraded to something newer

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 01:55 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: I've come a long way ever since I started DE shaving with EJ89 that bought off of amazon along with a couple of sample packs of blades.
With every razor upgrade, we feel like we have found a perfect razor, then the "NEW" wears off in a few months and we look for something better and more magical.

Having found your perfect razor now (hopefully or en route), what does your old/first razor feel like?
Does it suck like your mind "remember" it to be or is it surprisingly better than you remembered since the bad memories are likely due to your poor skill at the time?

I might revisit EJ89 soon when I get a chance to see what I think of it.  I should have kept it for revisiting purposes, but sold it off as soon as I upgraded to something newer
I don't like to use my ej 89 or gillettes anymore and that's what I started with. I got a good shave last time I used the de89I just prefer to use a swallower angle and I have razors that I enjoy using more.

3 1,356
 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM
User Info
My first DE was a Merkur 34C. Wound up selling after receiving my Muhle R89. I've gone through enough razors that I've lost count. Really got to missing my 34C and bought another this year. It's not my fav but is in the top and gets used weekly. This one will keep a permanent home with me.

147 3,536
 09-09-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:00 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 01:55 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: I've come a long way ever since I started DE shaving with EJ89 that bought off of amazon along with a couple of sample packs of blades.

I might revisit EJ89 soon when I get a chance to see what I think of it.  I should have kept it for revisiting purposes, but sold it off as soon as I upgraded to something newer
I don't like to use my ej 89 or gillettes anymore and that's what I started with. I got a good shave last time I used the de89I just prefer to use a swallower angle and I have razors that I enjoy using more.

As far as my "memory" can recall, shaves from ej89 weren't that great, but in all fairness, I used it only up until I was 2 months into DE shaving, so my technique, lather, angle, etc, etc could have been the reason, not just the razor.

I will know when I buy another one only to get a horrible shave even with a great lather and improved technique Smile

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
It isn't a bad shaver (EJ89), but I much prefer my Weber DLC and Wolfman WR1-SB! Shy

83 21,077
 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:00 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: My first DE was a Merkur 34C. Wound up selling after receiving my Muhle R89. I've gone through enough razors that I've lost count. Really got to missing my 34C and bought another this year. It's not my fav but is in the top and gets used weekly. This one will keep a permanent home with me.

for some reason, EJ89 and 34c are two most popular starter razors, but I found 34c to work a little more efficiently.  With EJ89, getting weepers was pretty common, not to mention stubbly neck even after touch ups.
With 34c, I got better shaves with not much change in technique, lather, angle.  It just felt easier to use.  For that reason, just like you, I recently purchased one to keep in my den semi-permanently.

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:05 PM)celestino Wrote: It isn't a bad shaver (EJ89), but I much prefer my Weber DLC and Wolfman WR1-SB! Shy

those two are most highly touted razors out there.  Wink  
EJ doesn't stand a chance even with peach fuzz on the face.

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:06 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:00 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: My first DE was a Merkur 34C. Wound up selling after receiving my Muhle R89. I've gone through enough razors that I've lost count. Really got to missing my 34C and bought another this year. It's not my fav but is in the top and gets used weekly. This one will keep a permanent home with me.

for some reason, EJ89 and 34c are two most popular starter razors, but I found 34c to work a little more efficiently.  With EJ89, getting weepers was pretty common, not to mention stubbly neck even after touch ups.
With 34c, I got better shaves with not much change in technique, lather, angle.  It just felt easier to use.  For that reason, just like you, I recently purchased one to keep in my den semi-permanently.

I really enjoy mine not just for the change of pace and efficiency but also for when I have a bad shave. If I get a little to careless with a my straight or just had an off day with any razor in general i can use the 34C comfortably and not worsen any razor burn etc. I also repurchased it for the sentimental aspect since it was my first DE.

147 3,536
 09-09-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
Good thing there are so many razors to choose from because from the reviews it appears what some like others don't and vice versa. I started with the EJ89 and I still use it as my regular razor. I have an R41 that I use for multiple days growth but it is not as smooth and forgiving as my EJ. I get the best shaves of my life with my EJ every time I use it. However, I have not tried any high end razors yet so can't compare to those but I will eventually. I may buy an Ikon next, just need to decide which one to buy. Maybe someone will have a good deal in the BST for one.

One thing to point out about my EJ though, I use it with a Maggard MR5 handle which made a world of difference. I did not enjoy the stock lightweight handle that came with it so I modified it and have enjoyed using it ever since.

13 947
 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:08 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:05 PM)celestino Wrote: It isn't a bad shaver (EJ89), but I much prefer my Weber DLC and Wolfman WR1-SB! Shy

Sorry, but the Weber was a very early acquisition for me and it spoiled me, greatly! I hadn't found another DE that was comparable until I got the Wolfman!  Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:42 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:08 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:

Sorry, but the Weber was a very early acquisition for me and it spoiled me, greatly! I hadn't found another DE that was comparable until I got the Wolfman!  Biggrin

but I am glad you are still liking it.  I have one and it is a very smooth razor.

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
My first DE was a Slim that I learned to shave with back in my youth ,can't remember what the shaves were like .When I rediscovered DE shaving about a year ago I dug out the Slim and gave it a run , the shave was good enough that it sent me down the rabbit hole of DEs ,SEs and Injectors and the elusive hunt for the perfect hardware and software.I'm getting close but no razor has a dearer place in my heart than my K4 Slim .

Glenn

2 50
 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:40 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Good thing there are so many razors to choose from because from the reviews it appears what some like others don't and vice versa. I started with the EJ89 and I still use it as my regular razor. I have an R41 that I use for multiple days growth but it is not as smooth and forgiving as my EJ. I get the best shaves of my life with my EJ every time I use it. However, I have not tried any high end razors yet so can't compare to those but I will eventually. I may buy an Ikon next, just need to decide which one to buy. Maybe someone will have a good deal in the BST for one.

One thing to point out about my EJ though, I use it with a Maggard MR5 handle which made a world of difference. I did not enjoy the stock lightweight handle that came with it so I modified it and have enjoyed using it ever since.

I think spending more time with lower end models like ej / merkur is beneficial in the long run, because then when you move on to higher end razor, you really appreciate the difference it makes and that difference will be significant.  Unfortunately, ikon razors of any kind didn't work for me (101, 102, and dlc slant), but above the tie slant, wolfman and razorock babysmooth/stealth slant are my favorite razors.  They can all stay in my den forever, but my wife has this face expression that say "why the hell are you keeping all those razors"  Hopefully you will score one of them and move your way up.

53 760
 09-09-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:51 PM)hobgoblin Wrote: My first DE was a Slim that I learned to shave with back in my youth ,can't remember what the shaves were like .When I rediscovered DE shaving about a year ago I dug out the Slim and gave it a run , the shave was good enough that it sent me down the rabbit hole of DEs ,SEs and Injectors and the elusive hunt for the perfect hardware and software.I'm getting close but no razor has a dearer place in my heart than my K4 Slim .

Glenn

congrats on getting back in the game!  Hopefully you will find a perfect razor for you.

53 760
 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM
User Info
Still use the EJ89 along with the Gillettes. Really can't complain. Probably helps my technique is better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4 465
 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
My first  razor was a Merkur 23c,  I have come to prefer vintage gillettes but I still use it on occasion with good results.

0 33
 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:54 PM)parachutefactory Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:40 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Good thing there are so many razors to choose from because from the reviews it appears what some like others don't and vice versa. I started with the EJ89 and I still use it as my regular razor. I have an R41 that I use for multiple days growth but it is not as smooth and forgiving as my EJ. I get the best shaves of my life with my EJ every time I use it. However, I have not tried any high end razors yet so can't compare to those but I will eventually. I may buy an Ikon next, just need to decide which one to buy. Maybe someone will have a good deal in the BST for one.

I think spending more time with lower end models like ej / merkur is beneficial in the long run, because then when you move on to higher end razor, you really appreciate the difference it makes and that difference will be significant.  Unfortunately, ikon razors of any kind didn't work for me (101, 102, and dlc slant), but above the tie slant, wolfman and razorock babysmooth/stealth slant are my favorite razors.  They can all stay in my den forever, but my wife has this face expression that say "why the hell are you keeping all those razors"  Hopefully you will score one of them and move your way up.

ATT is one I would consider. Wolfman makes beautiful razors for sure but I gave up trying to get on the list.

13 947
 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
My first razor was also a 23c. I thought it was perfectly good for quite some time until I got into the shaving communities and the RAD has been the worst of my ADs (I just got an email from James!!!).  
No complaints though. Its been a lot of fun. 
The 23c was relegated to what I consider my second home and honestly I don't miss it that much.

8 1,126
 09-09-2015, 05:13 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-09-2015, 02:40 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: One thing to point out about my EJ though, I use it with a Maggard MR5 handle which made a world of difference. I did not enjoy the stock lightweight handle that came with it so I modified it and have enjoyed using it ever since.

My first was a Merkur 38c and although don't use it often, when I do I still like it. I do agree with Hobbyist re: the EJ heads and a different handle; like a completely different razor with a Weber, etc.

2 1,180
 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
(09-09-2015, 05:13 PM)kwsher Wrote:
(09-09-2015, 02:40 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: One thing to point out about my EJ though, I use it with a Maggard MR5 handle which made a world of difference. I did not enjoy the stock lightweight handle that came with it so I modified it and have enjoyed using it ever since.

My first was a Merkur 38c and although don't use it often, when I do I still like it. I do agree with Hobbyist re: the EJ heads and a different handle; like a completely different razor with a Weber, etc.

Maybe when I revisit EJ89 later, I should try it with stock handle and then see if bulldog or nicer handle makes it even better.
That would be a good experiment.

53 760