09-09-2015, 05:58 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Was not sure where to post this. I don't normally share stuff like this on the internet, but this place is full of people who have been good to me, so it seems appropriate.
Lost a good friend tonight.
[Image: 100_1763.JPG]
his name was Butternut, and he was my buddy before he ever even opened his eyes as a kitten. He has been with us for a long time. In recent years he has gotten more and more feeble, and we knew it was only a matter of time.
Today, he just sort of stopped. No climbing on the furniture, no high places, which is instinct, and a cat will do until he's dead, or it is no longer possible.
I came home from church tonight to find he had passed, but I will never forget him.

2 1,683
 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I'm so sorry for you loss.  Sad  Butternut was a beautiful name for a beautiful cat. May he rest in peace.

3 291
 09-09-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
I too am sorry for your loss.  Be sure that Butternut is climbing high again.  I'm sure he left knowing he was loved.

3 193
 09-09-2015, 06:27 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thanks, guys.
And yes, there was no doubt in his mind that he loved us and we loved him.

2 1,683
 09-09-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
Sorry for your loss!

147 3,463
 09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sorry to hear of your loss.

102 18,553
 09-09-2015, 06:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

46 18,087
 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM
User Info
Very sorry for the loss, to them we are family and to me it goes the same. I'm sorry.

17 1,297
 09-09-2015, 06:52 PM
User Info
Very sorry to hear about this. Pets especially insinuate themselves into our lives and when they leave the hurt is excruciating. But the good news is that it will become less hurtful. It will never pass fully because they make take such a large part of our hearts, but the pain will lessen and other pets will lessen the hurt. Wait a month and then find another to love. Trust me, it's the best thing that you can do.

32 6,445
 09-09-2015, 07:05 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
ShadowsDad put it very well! I could not say it so well! I am saddened by your loss and happy Butternut went home without a lot of difficulties.
Get another friend when possible, the space in your heart was expanded to allow it!
~Richard

8 1,194
 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
We lost our Mr Kitty a few months back, so I feel your loss... it's not easy, but as Brian says it'll hurt less after a while.

And if Mr Kitty is any indication, Butternut will never be completely gone - his memories and spirit lives on, as well as cat hair in the most unlikely places. Those things will always remain in your heart and your house, and thus in a way will he.

3 4,373
 09-09-2015, 07:20 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
This is sad, I am going through the same thing with our 17 year old tabby Julio. He's been dropping weight, eating and peeing like a fiend- kidneys failing. So sad, I'm expecting any day now myself. Sorry for your loss.

143 1,983
 09-09-2015, 07:32 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Thanks, guys.
Jeff, i'm sorry to hear about Julio. We were blessed in a way. Butternut just got old, and basically died from old age. No failing liver or kidneys, no really painful stuff going on. Just got more and more feeble. Up until earlier today he was still able to jump up on the counters, etc., but when he would jump down, his legs would spread out a bit, and you could tell he did not have the strength in his legs. Walked very slowly, and I think arthritis in his hips bothered him a bit. He had lost a lot of weight because he basically lost interest in eating, and ate just enough to keep himself going(he never was a big guy, anyway). My other cats before him had it a lot rougher in the end.
But you guys are correct; his memory in our family's minds will be with us forever. We spent some time tonight reminiscing about all of the funny and unique times we had with him. He was such a great cat. My wife did not like him at first, only tolerated him. She is more of a dog person. But he won her over really fast.
i have had a cat of some type since I was a little boy. They are a big part of life for me. Just really unique animals, with a lot of love to give.
If you have a pet that you love, make sure you let him or her know it as much as you can. Their lives are much shorter compared to ours, but they love just as hard as we do.

2 1,683
 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm so sorry for your loss of Butternut. My last cat was constantly at my side, even when I didn't want him to be, for fifteen years, and left such a void when passed. I even thought that I heard his "meow" a few times afterwards. A few months later I took in an 8 year old rescue of the same breed. She's nothing like him, and I'm glad for that, but it's been good for me to care for a cat again, and she's gradually insisting on being my constant companion. Take care.

38 5,032
 09-09-2015, 08:03 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Sorry for your loss, having pets is wonderful but loosing them is the difficult part. It was just time for him to move on, I hope that in the future you'll have from time to time some nice memories that put a smile on your face when you think off the funny moments you had together.

28 1,433
 09-09-2015, 11:46 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Not much more to add as others have covered it well except to say I am very sorry for your loss.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-10-2015, 04:04 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your loss.  It is always hard to loose a pet.

Mike

4 465
 09-10-2015, 05:05 AM
User Info
The loss of a devoted pet is very sad. Sorry about Butternut. I am sure he brought you much pleasure and love.

39 3,877
 09-10-2015, 05:47 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and my condolences. It is hard in the beginning and will get better with time.

10 963
 09-10-2015, 06:08 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear of the passing of your buddy Butternut.  When I read your initial post, I looked over at our cat Punkin who looks very similar to yours.  I am thankful he's still here, making our lives more interesting and enjoyable.  When a beloved pet dies, it takes a piece of our heart.  It's like losing a close friend or loved one.  At first we mourn and are saddened, and as the days go by, the pain subsides and eventually goes away.  But the memories remain for years.  I agree with Brian - when the time is right, get another one; best from a shelter.  You will have a new buddy, and the ensuing years of his life will enrich yours as did Butternut.  I know your feelings my friend.  But remember - time heals all wounds.

0 68