09-10-2015, 12:09 AM
User Info
Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't Smile

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks. Thinking about it, I do believe my first shaves as a pimply teen was with an unremarkable electric razor... a no-brand rotary. First experiments with carts and canned goo came a little later as I was gearing up for boot camp - I believe my logic was that you can't find an electrical outlet while on exercise in the deep forests.

The main takeaway from the first few years was that I dislike canned goo; left my face feeling dry and funky. Enter stage right; a cheap brush and cream from BodyShop. Much better, even if ingrown hairs and shaving rash still plagued me.. at the time I though that was just how it was.

Over the next couple of decades I waffled between carts (Sensor Excel), various electrics, and growing beards... until I was pointed in the direction of traditional wetshaving while I was gearing up for a one year Tour of Duty as a UN Military Observer in Africa - the logic at the time being that you can't always find an electrical outlet nor reliable buy carts while in a third world country... seems to be a common theme with why I switched to a cart years before.

The anticipation when I slid the Feather blade into my Parker R22 and slowly twisted is closed was palatable... and I promptly opened and closed it a few times to make 100% absolutely sure I had put it in right. I was happy with the lather I had made with my brand new Omega boar brush and my just as new tube of Proraso Green... even if looking back it was frankly not particularly good. And the less I say about my pre-shave, the better... because there is not much to say about splashing some warm water on ones face.

The feeling of sliding a traditional safety razor over my cheeks for the first time? Unforgettable. The actual sound of stubble being sliced through by a piece of wicked sharp steel? Simply wonderful.

Yes, there was several nicks. Blood was drawn. The Feather is, in hindsight, way to sharp for an aggressive razor like the R22. My lather was too watery and provided little cushion. But despite all that I knew one thing for sure when I rinsed the bright red remains of watery lather of my face:

I wanted more. Much more.

To roll back, I think my first shave was forgotten because it wasn't anything special. I do remember my first traditional shave because it was quite simply unforgettable.

3 4,511
 09-10-2015, 01:27 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
My first shave was with a DE and possibly canned goop. That was followed by a succession of various multiple blade razors and a try with an electric or 2. The switch to using a brush and shave cream happened in there at some stage. None of that was memorable and shaving was just plain a daily chore. 

That all changed when I took up shaving with a SR a few years ago and joined a forum. Nobody had taught me to shave, my father more or less just said have at her and be careful. I learned quickly after joining a forum how to improve my lathering which made a big difference. I remember my first SR shave not because it was anything special but for the angst I had. As I improved my shaving technique using a SR turned into an enjoyable experience that I looked forward to on a daily basis. Big change over the previous 40 years experience. I next revisited shaving with a DE and found that applying what I had learned from using a SR made that experience enjoyable also. I don't even mind using disposable razors now either if I have to.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-10-2015, 05:06 AM
User Info
My first shave was over 40 years ago. Can't recall a darn thing about it. 

39 3,920
 09-10-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
First shaving attempts were with my dad's Norelco electric razor. The rash , shave quality and irritation were terrible. Don't remember a thing about the first one though.

8 1,129
 09-14-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
I started to shave with SR (T) about 2 years ago. And I'm glad I was able to start doing as an adult man.

0 56
 09-14-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
Not a chance Biggrin

61 3,796
 09-14-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
(09-14-2015, 06:53 AM)hrfdez Wrote: Not a chance Biggrin

+1 as it was over 33 years ago with a cart, canned goo and no technique and too many wonderful things have happened since then! Biggrin

83 21,081
 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
Mine was somewhere around 31 years ago, and it was using my Dad's psycho razor -- he worked at a mental hospital for 30 years, and he picked up a new one they let patients use.  It had a key to lock the head in place so disturbed patients couldn't get it out and do harm to the staff or themselves.

I had no idea what I was doing, and I recall lots of blood.  

[Image: qLszD7z.jpg]

1 135
 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Braun electric. Confused

102 18,652
 09-15-2015, 08:08 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
Don't really remember the first shave but I believe it was a Trac II with a can of shave cream some time back in the early 70's.

4 633
 09-15-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
Sun beam electric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 748
 09-15-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 07:20 AM)kansaskyle Wrote: It had a key to lock the head in place...

I'm curious.. how did that work? Any pictures of the mechanism?

Yes, I'm a nerd and I love technical stuff  Tongue

3 4,511
 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
My first wet shave was not so great. I did what I imagine many first timers do and bought the Vander hagen set with the cheap tiny soap puck, plastic handled "rip your skin off" boar brush, and bowl the size of a thimble. 

I also got a Merkur HD and generic shave oil sent with it. I showered and proceeded to slather my face with so much oil there was no way to get a lather and tried to scoop the oil and whiskers off my face with the merkur and merkur brand blade. Not fun.

2 14