04-09-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
Man, I never owned such nice carts even when I was using them many years ago...if I had, perhaps I wouldn't have moved to straights or DE's Smile

0 650
 07-05-2016, 11:49 PM
User Info
Damn, and I thought I was the only one. I also continue to use cartridges, Feather Neo MR3 and Fusion Proglide. With proper prep, preshave oil, soap with plenty of cushion such as Acqua di Parma or I Coloniali, this is the only way I can go full smoothness without skin burn. It does take its toll on the cartridges, though, Fusion lasts me 4 shaves, with the first two really impeccable, Feather lasts a bit more, 6-7 shaves. 

If I shave with a DE blade, even with skin stretching and J-hooking it takes more than 3 passes to be 100% smooth everywhere, especially on the jawline and under the chin, which leads to skin burn. I don't know if others just leave a bit of stubble in those areas, I can't, I'm anal about shaving till zero stubble everywhere.

Obviously carts are more expensive than DE blades but considering the fancy gear shown in this thread and used in general, it's still within reason. Wet shaving forums seem to turn a lot of people into obssessive seekers of the perfect razor, cream, soap, after shave etc. and keen explorers and collector of wet shaving products from various countries. I'm definitely guilty of that and in the big picture the price of cartridges is negligible. Carts come to cca. $1 per shave max., peanuts in terms of relative cost compared to the total cost per shave using of all the fancy brushes, razors, high-end soaps, A/Ss, EDPs etc. 

Makes me wonder, though, whether there are more closed cart shavers than people willing to 'fess up, or are people just OK with some stubble left, or is it that my technique sucks. I do have my doubts, though, especially since people seem to be more critical about their DE results when they turn it up a notch and migrate to slants and especially straight razors.

0 4
 07-06-2016, 02:32 AM
User Info
(07-05-2016, 11:49 PM)leiito Wrote: Damn, and I thought I was the only one. I also continue to use cartridges, Feather Neo MR3 and Fusion Proglide. With proper prep, preshave oil, soap with plenty of cushion such as Acqua di Parma or I Coloniali, this is the only way I can go full smoothness without skin burn. It does take its toll on the cartridges, though, Fusion lasts me 4 shaves, with the first two really impeccable, Feather lasts a bit more, 6-7 shaves. 

If I shave with a DE blade, even with skin stretching and J-hooking it takes more than 3 passes to be 100% smooth everywhere, especially on the jawline and under the chin, which leads to skin burn. I don't know if others just leave a bit of stubble in those areas, I can't, I'm anal about shaving till zero stubble everywhere.

Obviously carts are more expensive than DE blades but considering the fancy gear shown in this thread and used in general, it's still within reason. Wet shaving forums seem to turn a lot of people into obssessive seekers of the perfect razor, cream, soap, after shave etc. and keen explorers and collector of wet shaving products from various countries. I'm definitely guilty of that and in the big picture the price of cartridges is negligible. Carts come to cca. $1 per shave max., peanuts in terms of relative cost compared to the total cost per shave using of all the fancy brushes, razors, high-end soaps, A/Ss, EDPs etc. 

Makes me wonder, though, whether there are more closed cart shavers than people willing to 'fess up, or are people just OK with some stubble left, or is it that my technique sucks. I do have my doubts, though, especially since people seem to be more critical about their DE results when they turn it up a notch and migrate to slants and especially straight razors.

You're not alone.
Will post later today when I have better time.
Will update this thread with photos later in July. Have some incoming cart razors from Pils and Acqua di Parma

24 5,764
 07-06-2016, 07:44 PM
User Info
I wouldn't have any issues using cartridge razors and photographing them in my SOTD, but, no matter how many times I try them and how well I prep and refine my technique, they just don't work for me. I have to perform at least 4-5 passes, all with multiple touch-ups, just to get a decent shave. Furthermore, my hair grows in much too many different direction all along my neck/jawline, so I can never get that BBS shave. Regardless, I am very content with my shaves as I am don't have the need to rid myself of every single whisker on my face.   Shy
After trying cartridge razors on many different occasions, I realized, some time ago, that DEs just work so much better for me.

I wish you gentlemen the most wonderful shaves with your razors of choice. Shy

82 21,038
 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM
User Info
Harry's & Gillette Mach 3 are the only 2 I have held onto.
I like these 2 because the Harry's open back design allows me to rinse the blades completely avoiding clogs and then in Mach 3 I use CVS torq3 catridges as they have more of a blade gap between blades, again allowing me to avoid any clogging at all.
I prob shave with one or the other once every 1-2 months, whenever the mood strikes me. Since I use a de, se, or straight so much anymore the cart razors seem bulky to me under my nostrils and in general but I certainly get fine shaves with them for sure.
Another adjustment, definitely with the Harry's design, is getting used to applying pressure. Its much different than my more traditional razors.
OP you have some beautiful handles there.

0 38
 07-07-2016, 02:56 PM
User Info
(07-06-2016, 07:44 PM)celestino Wrote: I wouldn't have any issues using cartridge razors and photographing them in my SOTD, but, no matter how many times I try them and how well I prep and refine my technique, they just don't work for me. I have to perform at least 4-5 passes, all with multiple touch-ups, just to get a decent shave. Furthermore, my hair grows in much too many different direction all along my neck/jawline, so I can never get that BBS shave. Regardless, I am very content with my shaves as I am don't have the need to rid myself of every single whisker on my face.   Shy
After trying cartridge razors on many different occasions, I realized, some time ago, that DEs just work so much better for me.

Same to you, Celestino.

After having experiented and using a wide range of DE and SE razors over the last 5-6 years time, I ended up concluding, that only really the aggressive razors like R41, Above The Tie H plate and Plisson razors were able to remove my whiskers in 3 passes or less.

And the shaves these razors gave me were not that comfortable in the long run, so experiemnted with using the aggressive razor for first pass, and then a less aggressive razor for 2.nd and 3.rd pass - but still did not feel they gave me a better shave, than I got with my Fusion and Mach 3 carts.

I never went into this wet shaving forum because carts gave me poor shaves - just because I enjoy using a wide range of products.
I still will continue to use a wide range of products, just not DE and SE razors  Smile

My technique with carts is actually somewhat the same as with my DE's and SE's - I shave with a locked wrist and keep a steady angle and no pressure.
Buffing and J hooking with my Fusion is something I have perfected, so it now gives me a BBS shave, but only when I use the buffing and J Hooking - otherwise pretty much nothing can remove my stiff whiskers, not even a R41 2011  Biggrin

But with buffing and J hooking, I can get a BBS or close to. As you say, BBS is not that important, better to have a DFS and no irritation.

Remember my first pass with the Fusion usually takes me 5-6 minutes and I even do touch ups, buffing and J hooking while doing the first pass - as long as the lather is slick enough and have cushion enough.
I rinse the razor head 20-25-30 times during this first pass, or the cart would cloque up.

I wish you many great shaves with your DE's and SE's too  Thumbup

24 5,764
 07-08-2016, 04:50 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-06-2016, 07:44 PM)celestino Wrote: I wouldn't have any issues using cartridge razors and photographing them in my SOTD, but, no matter how many times I try them and how well I prep and refine my technique, they just don't work for me. I have to perform at least 4-5 passes, all with multiple touch-ups, just to get a decent shave. Furthermore, my hair grows in much too many different direction all along my neck/jawline, so I can never get that BBS shave. Regardless, I am very content with my shaves as I am don't have the need to rid myself of every single whisker on my face.   Shy

This post serves to highlight well the aphorism 'Your Mileage Might (Will) Vary'.  My many years of switching from cartridge to DE/SE and back again resulted in my experience being just the opposite of Celestino's.  I've abandoned all my DEs and SEs in favour of my Mach3 and Sensor both of which give me the most marvellous shaves.

5 871
 07-08-2016, 10:09 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I always use both...DE for sharp edges and first pass and Fusion for ATG and neck....works great!!!!!

6 1,989
 07-08-2016, 10:23 AM
User Info
I keep my Fusion on the stand and use the blade on the back for "clean-up" under my nose.  I make a few passes under the nose with my SE then finish up with the Fusion.  I just can't seem to get a really close shave there with the SE or DE without a substantial amount of passes that leave irritation.

Otherwise, I still use the MR3 Neo in the shower on the occasion I'm in a hurry.  Also for travel.  Got to find all the combinations that work best for each of us.

0 159
 07-08-2016, 10:46 AM
User Info
(07-06-2016, 08:08 PM)bullgoose Wrote: [Image: dVSoKct.png]

24 24

17 1,289
 07-09-2016, 08:04 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I'm not ashamed to say that I use carts at least twice a week. For whatever reason, they give me a near BBS, irritation free shave. Everyone's skin is different. They work for me but may not for some. Same with any razor.  Cartridge razors are just another type of razor to choose from. There's no shame in that.

157 1,281
 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
prefer a cart for my head. and I love j hooking on my chin. but changing up is the fun of it all.  my entire den was built around wenge wood I love it. where did you find that handle ron?

71 1,244
 07-09-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
Schick Hydro 5s rock!  I currently liKe them at least as much as, if not more than proglide and they are a $1 less per cartridge.

86 890
 07-09-2016, 07:24 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(07-09-2016, 12:40 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: prefer a cart for my head. and I love j hooking on my chin. but changing up is the fun of it all.  my entire den was built around wenge wood I love it. where did you find that handle ron?

Dave the Wenge wood is the Acqua di Parma razor. Lovely razor!

157 1,281
 10-03-2016, 06:47 AM
User Info
Hello gents.

although a cart shaver all my life, I have recently converted to DE and SE shaving.
It was not as much as the cost of the carts, but the constant problem of clogging. At every pass the cart used to get so clogged with hair I had to hit it against the hard surface of the the sink to get it somewhat unclogged with the hair. This used to drive me so crazy, started neglecting shaving with the result of more stubble, more clogging. The equipment I used was the Gillette sensor with the 2 blades as more blades would not go around the curves of my face, leaving me wondering whether there was a blade in the cart.
Since I converted to DE and SE, as this is not a problem associated with this form of shaving, I began to enjoy it so much more.
There is however a learning curve with these razors. A cart, you can shave with abandon and not cut yourself. Not with a DE or a SE.
I used use a badger brush with shaving cream, so preparation was not the reason of the constant clogging.
As I was always curious why this was happening to me, I'll be grateful for an explanation.

0 210
 10-03-2016, 07:09 AM
User Info
(10-03-2016, 06:47 AM)kyproset Wrote: Hello gents.

although a cart shaver all my life, I have recently converted to DE and SE shaving.
It was not as much as the cost of the carts, but the constant problem of clogging. At every pass the cart used to get so clogged with hair I had to hit it against the hard surface of the the sink to get it somewhat unclogged with the hair. This used to drive me so crazy, started neglecting shaving with the result of more stubble, more clogging. The equipment I used was the Gillette sensor with the 2 blades as more blades would not go around the curves of my face, leaving me wondering whether there was a blade in the cart.
Since I converted to DE and SE, as this is not a problem associated with this form of shaving, I began to enjoy it so much more.
There is however a learning curve with these razors. A cart, you can shave with abandon and not cut yourself. Not with a DE or a SE.
I used use a badger brush with shaving cream, so preparation was not the reason of the constant clogging.
As I was always curious why this was happening to me, I'll be grateful for an explanation.

When I used the Sensor 2-blade it got clogged faster. With the Fusion, it still gets clogged, but I rinse it in hot water using the full power on the tap, and strop the blade with my thumb at the same time. Probably rinse my Fusion 25-30 times during first pass.

Second pass and touch up I use my Mach3.

24 5,764
 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
User Info
I have been using my Fusion more recently and just ordered this Muhle Bog Oak handle.

My other is an Art of Shaving Fusion that vibrates. I find that does help with glide. The grip on the handle is also great, especially if I use in shower.

[Image: C0BB6C2C-0EAF-4A10-972B-5D9CF14C8D7E_zpsqn70ocax.jpeg]

[Image: CED39499-0961-412B-9D27-F14AB8B6FA53_zpsnmsour7v.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
My only cart razor is part of a nice Harry's set I got from my dad for Christmas. I'm glad to have it for travel by myself, as I only use a carry-on. Tomorrow I'm boarding the big jet plane with my wife, who gives me a small corner of her big suitcase for my clothes and stuff. As it will be checked, I will include my travel kit, which will include an MMOC and a couple of Gem blades. The cart will have to wait.

I quit multi-blade carts 2-1/2 years ago because I had bad shaves with all the gunk caught between the blades (not because I wanted to save money). I suspect the gunk build-up was due to the fact that I only shaved every 2-3 days because I hated shaving. The hairs were long enough to get caught, and I used goo, a combination which probably resulted in gunk. Now that I shave every day, I might not have the gunk problem with multi-blade carts. Some day I'll find out.

I do take single-blade Gillette Guards in my carry-on when traveling alone, and am always overjoyed when I have my first non-cart shave after returning home.

5 306
 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM
User Info
(01-17-2017, 05:59 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: My only cart razor is part of a nice Harry's set I got from my dad for Christmas. I'm glad to have it for travel by myself, as I only use a carry-on. Tomorrow I'm boarding the big jet plane with my wife, who gives me a small corner of her big suitcase for my clothes and stuff. As it will be checked, I will include my travel kit, which will include an MMOC and a couple of Gem blades. The cart will have to wait.

I quit multi-blade carts 2-1/2 years ago because I had bad shaves with all the gunk caught between the blades (not because I wanted to save money). I suspect the gunk build-up was due to the fact that I only shaved every 2-3 days because I hated shaving. The hairs were long enough to get caught, and  I used goo, a combination which probably resulted in gunk. Now that I shave every day, I might not have the gunk problem with multi-blade carts. Some day I'll find out.

I do take single-blade Gillette Guards in my carry-on when traveling alone, and am always overjoyed when I have my first non-cart shave after returning home.

I use Harry's when I'm traveling and carrying luggage on the plane.  I get a decent shave from them, although it doesn't last as long as a DE shave.

43 5,523