09-10-2015, 08:52 AM
User Info
I'm thinking about looking for a safety bar English Aristocrat razor (#15, #16, or #22), but I am curious to know how aggressive these razors are in comparison to a pre-war Fat Handled Tech, Fat Boy on 3, 1937 Sheraton, or NEW SC/LC. Those are a few razors I've tried.

My daily driver is a pre-war Tech, and it seems to offer a nice combination of mildness and efficiency for my poor technique and face with the least chance of a weeper.

I just don't want to spend the time and money to search out an English Aristocrat if it is going to be more aggressive for me.

Thanks!

1 135
 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM
User Info
The British Aristocrats are mildly aggressive, in my opinion. I found the open-combs to be a tad more so than their SB counterparts.
I would say they are a bit more aggressive than the razors that you have mentioned. If you are looking to just try a different razor, then I would pass on them if you are content with the ones you have as they won't be that much better for the money you'll have to pay for them. Nonetheless, if you want to add one to your collection, then you might want to try to acquire one.

You may also want to peruse this thread:  http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ristocrats
Good luck.

83 21,077
 09-10-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
That's a great article.  I have some experience here, and I just acquired a #15 and a #16, but haven't yet been able to try them out.  I have always loved, loved, loved the look of all the US and British Aristocrat models.   Now I have an excuse to try the new acquisitions sooner!  For me the rhodium finishes have always stood out at simply stunning.

I have had two different #21 models, and disliked them both unfortunately; sold them on.  Both very aggressive, and seemed to have a rough blade angle.  Gorgeous in the hand, but very tough to enjoy the shave.  I tend to like either fairly aggressive or very mild razors, but my experience was an awful bloodbath.

I have had three of the #22/66/70 (or whatever the gold one is) models, and they all shave very similar to what I consider to be the standard Gillette blade angle, aggression and feel for the 50s/60s era Gillettes, maybe just a touch smoother.  I would say comparable to the post war US Aristocrats. The weight is very comfortable and hefty, and these have the smoothest TTO action of any Gillette.  They just make you feel special.

26 246
 09-10-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
I'm having good success with a pre-war Fat Handled Tech.  

My reasons for considering the English Aristocrats are 1) they look really good and 2) I was hopeful it might be a little better shave. 

I am not interested in them from a collection standpoint, and I keep reminding myself that I'm not a collector.  :-)

Based on the comments above, it looks like they they are potentially going to be more aggressive, which probably isn't going to lead to a better shave for me based on past experience.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 135