07-02-2016, 09:40 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I would reflexively agree with Phil BUT Alt Innsbruk is one of my favorites. How do I reconcile that?

7 2,118
 07-02-2016, 05:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Uh, splash some on?

I realized some time past bemoaning product reformulations is a waste of time. I do not hoard, ration, seek or cling to old stock like an old girlfriend's photo. There are  two many other delights out there. "LIFE IS A MOVEABLE FEAST".

2 3,171
 07-02-2016, 05:59 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(07-02-2016, 05:00 PM)kav Wrote: I realized some time past bemoaning product reformulations is a waste of time. I do not hoard, ration, seek or cling to old stock like an old girlfriend's photo. There are  two many other delights out there. "LIFE IS A MOVEABLE FEAST".

Like shaving products, you've just had too many old girlfriends, Kav.  Biggrin

36 4,838
 07-02-2016, 06:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Yes, but I like Lily best. In University women asked my major and fled, knowing Archaeology wouldn't pay like the business majors who became managers at Blockbuster Video. Or they would ask my last name and you could see REM as they substituted it for theirs, later confiding coming from a family of 12 siblings and I LOVE babies, don't you? Faribha was fun,  Iranian Sufi I dated during the Hostage crisis. It was a whirlwind romance  until she moved to Germany. Syd was a Punk Rocker who took me to my first midnight RHPS in Santa Cruz and freaked out the establishment community of balding Greatful Deadheads with her 18" blue Mohawk. She found Jesus and lost me. Dierdre was a Scottish illegal alien who lived in the redwoods  disappearing like a fairy until a post card came from a ashram in India inviting me to come eat
vegetarian food and do yoga. Joyce was a 6' sister who joined the  Revolutionary Communist Party of America and dropped me because I said I was a Anarchist. Now Lily. She wore a red hibiscus flower in her hair one day. I said she looked like a Gaugain painting, bought a print of THE MARKET and left it for her later. Our next meeting she asked if I really  danced the tango with Rachel in the parking lot freaking out the Larouchies at their table and she wanted to learn the tango because Morticia and Gomez danced it.  I looked gobsmacked 'You like Mortician and Gomez'? and that, as they say, was that.

2 3,171
 07-02-2016, 09:58 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Back on subject. Rolling in the horse statue of history isn't exactly a piñata with predicted candy inside if it's Greek. Humanity has always modified the body for multiple cultural reasons not always based on environmental need. This includes scent, and in fact the oldest known ritual behavior
is a European burial with pollen revealing the time of year and various sweet smelling flowers. And, to blunt argument it was again to mask putritidy I performed experimental archaeology burying a pig carcass with a substantial funeral array of flowers to no effect. A Eurocentric timeline
of scent use fails to acknowledge the global world in place then as now. It's nothing new: kill a Saracen in the name of God but return with an
appetite for pepper on your venison or oil and oud today. Stratagems of nose gays were just as often looked upon with social hostility. Hercule Poirot may have worn a Tussie Mussie with lavender, but Captain Hastings still displayed English reserve, declaring 'Poirot, you're wearing scent'!
I would note also it wasn't TOBS either. They have not made some great intellectual leap forward in comradeship with self driving Teslas, dressing like Steve Jobs during product roll outs to evoke innate genius or  multi use warplanes proving useless in a multitude of scenarios. This is merely
another bean counter who cannot smell the coffee. Wearing scent is a very delicate expression of social etiquette. TOBS one size fits all doesn't. I haven't seen any other perfume house follow suit.

2 3,171
 07-18-2016, 10:27 PM
User Info
I drive a hybrid, but no to scents as hybrids.

1 99
 07-19-2016, 07:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Hybrids are hardly new technology. I found mules wonderful animals superior to horses in many regards.

2 3,171
 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(09-12-2015, 04:12 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I may be the only one but I like the idea.  I always find most as to weak but don't want a strong cologne.

Me too. I have absolutely no problem with what TOBS has done.  I like my AS to have a bit more oomph in the smell and staying power categories, but not the likes of EdeT or cologne.  I don't use either EdeT or cologne (it's the Captain Hastings in me), but I always finish my shave with an alcohol-based AS.

5 820
 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM
User Info
After receiving a new bottle of Mr. Taylors aftershave lotion (to replace the years old bottle I stupidly spilled all over my shave kit) I can confirm this is far from the old stuff. What few drops I have left of the old product I will truly appreciate. It's one of the few scents I've ever had that didn't give me a headache. This new version is "just ok", doesn't have the same face feel, and ultimately I have to wash it off after about an hour because I was not able to handle it. I'll give it another go in a day or two but I'm disappointed that my favorite is no more.

0 223