09-10-2015, 06:40 PM
User Info
I'm new to wet shaving and I recently purchased a vintage 1955 a2 red tip safety razor and something does not seem right? I noticed the head of the razor does not look the same as other 1955 a2 red tip razors. The side of the razor seem to have a side plate that is different, for a lack of knowing part names. Would anyone know if this razor looks correct?
thanks,

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B03GqkRUiG95Rsl

0 6
 09-10-2015, 07:12 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Looks like it is missing the endcaps, then was polished a bit to cover it up?  Hopefully a real expert will happen along, but that's my take.  If you can find a donor razor you can replace them either with soldier (as original) or with epoxy.

44 473
 09-10-2015, 07:25 PM
User Info
It's a Red Tip Super Speed for sure.  The issue that you see there is that the end caps are missing, leaving the brackets for the blade doors exposed.  The duller graying material on the outside of the brackets is solder, as the end caps are soldered into place, and if you scrape, sand, or polish it off, you will see the base brass construction.  It's very difficult to find a donor and pull the end caps off to transplant them.  

I can't see the bottom of the head to see its condition, but as long as there is no distortion in the way the combs and doors are aligned, it should shave like any other red tip, it just won't look as nice.

Cheers!

Matt

26 246
 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM
User Info
I concur - missing endcaps. Shouldn't affect the shave at all, still a nice razor Smile

3 4,483
 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
Thanks guys! Well, I guess it's still a good shaver.. I'll have to be careful next time I purshase a razor and make sure it's all good?.lol.. I'm still a learning, but now I'm on the look out for a fatboy, but it will have to be a fix it upper.. As funds are tight.. Thanks guys!..
Yeti...

0 6
 09-10-2015, 09:49 PM
User Info
If you don't want a user-grade razor, I'm sure many people can give it a good home Tongue

3 4,483
 09-10-2015, 10:34 PM
User Info
I haven't shaved with the razor yet, but I'll give her a run, if she shaves good I'll keep her, if not we'll give  her  anew home. Maybe a trade towards a fatboy or something?
Thanks,
Yeti

0 6