09-11-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
Just wondering how many members here took Microsoft up on their free Windows 10 Upgrade offer, your experiences so far and if you like it or not. 

I've been running it for about a month now and because I upgraded my Windows 7 with all my programs etc. I did have a few glitches. On another forum some of the members commented that they did a clean install of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 then did the Windows 10 upgrade and all seemed to be doing very well. With that in mind I found in the Update/Recovery/Backup section under Settings there was also the option of Resetting Windows and it gives you several options like reset Windows and keep your apps and personal data or just the data or just the apps or none of your data and apps. Since I keep all my personal data on an external hard drive and its no big deal reinstalling my other programs I did a clean reset. All but one program installed flawlessly and with the exception of a couple minor glitches which didn't take much to fix Windows 10 is running BBS, I like Windows 10, it is considerable faster than Windows 7 which wasn't slow and I liked Windows 7 much better than Windows 8, I think I might have run Windows 8 for a total of maybe a week.............. 

So, if you are considering doing the Windows 10 Upgrade I would suggest saving all you data to whatever media you have, completely clean out your pc, do a clean install of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then upgrade to 10.

0 22
 09-11-2015, 02:46 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I have a Microsoft Surface pro 3 and switching over to windows 10 was painless and after getting used to it I don't mind it. Still don't think it's as good as all the hype it got.

3 291
 09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
In case someone is interested here are a few links dealing with Windows 10. The first is a tutorial on using 10, I have only watched a couple minutes of it but learned a couple neat tips;

Here are a couple of links dealing with some Windows 10 privacy issues;

http://betanews.com/2015/07/31/the-real-...r-privacy/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-w...99429.html

0 22
 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
I have had it for a while. I went in and disabled all data monitoring features that they slip in the back door. I also converted my profile from one linked to an email (in windows 8.1) to a local account so the profile is not connected online.

I have been very happy with the experience so far

0 517
 09-13-2015, 09:23 AM
User Info
I've been a Windows 10 user since before it was officially released. It's not life-changing or anything (especially as I did not mind Windows 8.1), but it does the job. 

I didn't have any driver issues or other problems, so I was happy from the get-go. 

I tried the Edge browser, and while it's certainly better than the old IE, it's not all that great. I still use Opera (now that Firefox has slowed down).

37 1,743
 09-13-2015, 09:28 AM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I got the free upgrade within a few days of the release and did it that day. Like I said I have the Microsoft surface pro 3 and never had a problem with it. About 2 weeks ago my wifi started to suck tremendously bad. It's not my wifi in the house it's something with the devise. I'm not sure if it's connected with the upgrade to Windows 10 or not, but the tablet is only about 6 months old. Has anyone heard of issues like this with Windows 10? It loses my wifi connection ever 2 minutes

3 291
 09-13-2015, 09:31 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
I've used it for about three weeks. Windows 7 was on my computer before. The only major problem was that I had to buy a new printer because compatable software for my current, Brother printer, was not available until Dec.2015.

11 303
 09-13-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
I put on ice for now.

61 3,796
 09-13-2015, 10:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I did the download onto my hp laptop after windows checked and said it was compatible. It wasn't. Hp didn't yet download some drivers. Shame on me i suppose for not doing my homework... Long story short, i wiped 10 and reverted to 7, which is no big deal, because i had no problem with 7 to begin with.

4 1,922
 09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
User Info
I'm waiting to hear from an old time PC user to tell me that it's the best thing since sliced bread. I vividly remember my recent hatred of Windows 8 and trashing my wifes W8 computer and getting her a Kindle. I need a PC, and frankly don't know what I'll do when my current Win7 PC poops itself.

32 6,445
 09-13-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
I always liked XP. Thought it was a good OS and good interface. But then again, I remember the dinosaurs! Tongue

2 226
 09-18-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
I'm pretty dim when it comes to computing. Rolleyes  I took delivery of a new DELL laptop, yesterday afternoon, to replace my 6-7 year old dying laptop using Vista. It came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 but with a free upgrade to Windows 10 available. It took about 90 minutes to download and install and, so far, it appears to be working just fine. Pretty much found my way around OK and deactivated many of the security issues already mentioned here. All seems well.

31 5,280
 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
Congratulations, David! You are much more advance and literate with computers than I, it seems! Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-18-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 10:03 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, David! You are much more advance and literate with computers than I, it seems! Biggrin

Thanks, my friend. I'm self taught and fumble my way around. Press enough buttons and I finally get there! Skype is my next major challenge. Biggrin

31 5,280
 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 11:40 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 10:03 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, David! You are much more advance and literate with computers than I, it seems! Biggrin

Thanks, my friend. I'm self taught and fumble my way around. Press enough buttons and I finally get there! Skype is my next major challenge. Biggrin

I am looking forward to that so we can finally chat 'face-to-face'! I just finished demonstrating to Jim how to face-lather Michelle's soaps! It was very interesting and I believe he understands what to do, now! I guess we could have done this 2 years ago and it would have saved you much grief! Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-19-2015, 04:32 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
(09-13-2015, 02:39 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I'm waiting to hear from an old time PC user to tell me that it's the best thing since sliced bread. I vividly remember my recent hatred of Windows 8 and trashing my wifes W8 computer and getting her a Kindle. I need a PC, and frankly don't know what I'll do when my current Win7 PC poops itself.

Get Windows 10. Full disclosure, I founded my first Linux User Group in 1994 (yes, tapes), and grew up with Un*x. My home machines are dual boot, typically into either some flavour of Linux, or OpenBSD - and Windows 10, because my Geocaching software doesn't really fly with WINE. 

So, Windows XP was a cruel joke, Windows 7 worked without any problems. Windows 10 is the logical next step, and it won't make you want to slash your wrists like Windows 8.

Is it a good operating system? I deeply, deeply regret their decision to turn of what can only be described as a privacy nightmare features by default. And by turn on, I mean full bloody throttle. This might have been tolerable if they had added something like Google's Dashboard (ie all privacy settings in one place). It took me the better part of two hours to remove all the data leaks, and tighten security on that machine. 

That said, some people don't care about that, in which case Windows 10 is really great for them. For me, it's an OS that gets the job done, but with the aforementioned reservations.

0 197