06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
How well do slant bars work on the neck region? Are any of you only able to achieve a BBS shave on your neck region when using a slant bar?

I'm one of those guys who has very thick facial hair and, no matter what, can't quite get a BBS shave on his neck . . . even after thoroughly blade buffing it.

I've read that slant bars are ideal for head shaving, which really makes me want to buy one. But if they, in addition to being great for head shaving, can allow you to achieve a BBS shave on your neck region, I'll probably definitely be buying one.

0 214
 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
User Info
I use a slant for face and head shaves along with four other razors regularly. I would say the slant is middle of the road for me. It is a very smooth shaver, but I find that my Futur and Fatip in the same number of passes work a little better for me. My Slim and Fatboy are not quite as smooth, and take a little more work on the neck and chin. I set the Slim and Fatboy between 7 and 9, and the Futur between 4 and 6 depending on the blade I am using. Like you I have a thick, dense beard, and have gravitated to more efficient razors. I think a slant would be worth a try.

What razor(s) do you currently use?

0 103
 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM
User Info
(06-27-2012, 08:28 AM)Saliavin Wrote: What razor(s) do you currently use?

An Edwin Jagger DE87 and a Gillette Red Tip.

0 214
 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
For thick & coarse facial hair I'd highly suggest trying a torquer for DE blades & also trying some SEs. My hair is coarse as well. It flexes a DE blade causes it to vibrate while I shave which leads to irritation & weepers for me. Only a more rigid blade can cut my hair smoothly without flex. You can make a DE blade more rigid by torquing it & the SE blades are made thicker & stiffer. They are definitely worth a try. Godspeed!

31 7,912
 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
User Info
I think a slant would be a great next razor. Never tried the EJ, but the Red Tip takes an extra pass to equal the shave of the slant for me.

0 103
 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I find a Slant easier overall on my neck. It is more efficient in getting a closer shave on my neck with little or no irritation if I pay attention to technique and have a good blade in there.

I do not find my 39C Slant aggressive in any way. Nothing like a dialed up Mergress or Futur and far away from a FaTip and even farther away from an R41. Of course, YMMV.

I thought that I had coarse, dense hair but I think the gentlemen that posted above that require *only* a more rigid blade for effective hair removal have hair that is more coarse and or dense than mine!

I also think that you'd do well with a Slant based on this post as well as your other posts, especially considering that you are head shaving as well.

6 905
 06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
I find a slant superior to any razor available. A stiffer blade slicing is far more efficient than a flexible chopping blade. With my Hoffritz I can barely hear or feel the hairs being cut. With the 37C I can hear the cutting and feel the blade. I think the old design was better.

9 451
 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
I started with a EJ DE87 razor and had good shaves in neck but had to do multiple passes on the neck. Recently I started using a vintage Coles Slant. More efficient, smooth shave and hardly no irritation. I don't even hear the stubble getting sliced off. I don't have to do any extra passes on the neck region to get a smooth shave. I use a Feather or Gillette yellow blade.

19 414
 06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
It does depend on the slant. The vintage ones outperform the current ones IMO.

Have you tried J hooking with the Red Tip? Blade buffing doesn't do it for me, but the J hook does.

5 270
 07-01-2012, 02:05 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
My neck is my biggest problem too. When I use my slant, I've learned go loosen the head just a little, but still fairly tight and use a very sharp blade. Leaves my neck slick as a whistle. The Gillette Silver Blue is my favorite blade for this. There are a few others that work. That will vary with the person.
My Merkur Progress/Mergress also does very well with this, but only with the right blade. (sharper blade requires fewer passes & less irritation). Good luck.

Vic

32 362
 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
User Info
Very well from my experience. Try cold water shaving too!

0 217
 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Use what ever razor you like and just TRY a Gillette Fusion on the neck and then make your comparisons...used this way one blade can last 6 months ...I know this sounds like blasphany...but just try it...and then one can realize that they actually are not evil razors and do have a purpose (no ..I do not work for P @G i.e Gillette)just posting MY experience.Lightbulb

6 1,913