09-13-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
First off let me clarify by saying in the looks and age department gray does not bother me. Men in my family tend to gray a little early so I expected it plus still being around to see it, I wear it with pride. The thickest place at the moment is on my chin which happens to be  the same height of my wife. I enjoy telling her that's not coincidence!

On to my post. I have noticed when shaving, and wonder if I'm the only one, that finds gray hair thinner and softer than non gray. If I get a razor bump or start to see signs of an ingrown it's 99% of the time a gray hair. It just seems to thin or soft to go through the skin properly. I currently scrub the whole shaving surface each shower or before I shave to help thoroughly expose all the stubble and make sure nothing is just under the skin.

I'm curious if others experience the same issues and if so, how do you deal with it? Is it only going to get worse and is there anything else I can start expecting in the change of my shave?

Thanks for any input and I look forward to reading others responses.

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 06:05 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Same here, Freddie.
The gray hairs are thinner and more friable.

102 18,650
 09-13-2015, 06:12 AM
User Info
Thanks Ravi. Nice to know someone else knows my struggle lol.

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
I'm not real excited about the proliferation of gray hair, but haven't noticed much difference between them and my other hair.

My facial hair is pretty thin and wiry.

18 586
 09-13-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
I wear my gray with pride, I earned it Biggrin. Haven't encountered that problem with my facial hair, my beard is actually darker than my hair, fairly soft and straight.

I'll keep in eye on it as I grow older, so far so good.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

61 3,796
 09-13-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 09:19 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I wear my gray with pride, I earned it Biggrin. Haven't encountered that problem with my facial hair, my beard is actually darker than my hair, fairly soft and straight.

I'll keep in eye on it as I grow older, so far so good.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mine is just the opposite lol. When I was little my hair was so blond it was almost white but my eyebrows were dark brown. In the time of Madonna you can imagine the jokes I had to endure. As I got older it darkened to match. 

Now it's just the opposite. My hair is darker with most of the gray on my face. Guess my head will catch up.   Rolleyes

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 10:12 AM
User Info
I wear mine as a badge of distinction! It's a reminder that like a good whiskey I am getting better with age. Ha. It is one of life's many processes on the way to death, subsequently that is why I live life to the fullest each day. It is one of those subtle hints that you should never take anything for granted and love those that are close and live life as a passion!

4 208
 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
My grey hairs often seem more wiry and stronger than the remaining brown ones. Haven't noticed any difference in the shaving of them.

0 50
 09-13-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 09:44 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(09-13-2015, 09:19 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I wear my gray with pride, I earned it Biggrin. Haven't encountered that problem with my facial hair, my beard is actually darker than my hair, fairly soft and straight.

Mine is just the opposite lol. When I was little my hair was so blond it was almost white but my eyebrows were dark brown. In the time of Madonna you can imagine the jokes I had to endure. As I got older it darkened to match. 

Now it's just the opposite. My hair is darker with most of the gray on my face. Guess my head will catch up.   Rolleyes

Slim shady....I have a little gray and mine seems to be more coarse than the rest of my hair. My be thinner but more like copper wire. Guess I'm weird..

3 1,356
 09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 02:11 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-13-2015, 09:44 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:

Slim shady....I have a little gray and mine seems to be more coarse than the rest of my hair. My be thinner but more like copper wire. Guess I'm weird..

No guessing to it big guy.  Biggrin

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
Well, maybe, but the ATG pass does them in. No big deal.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about the color either.

32 6,459
 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
I've never had a problem cutting them. Just getting them to properly come through the skin sometimes is the issue. Since I started wet shaving I no longer have that issues with my "normal"  whiskers.

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
I suppose I never had the issue because when I got greys I knew better than to go ATG with a cartridge and since then I've used a blade. No ingrowns with a blade no matter how close the shave. Now that I DO NOT understand since the shave is much closer than I ever got with a cartridge. I stopped thinking about it quite awhile ago. :-) Today I just accept it.

32 6,459
 09-13-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
Wow Freddie you must be getting OLD. I think I am about the same age as you, and I am constantly telling my wife that that my whiskers are turning blonde from being in the sun. She seems unconvinced. What does she know right?

I never noticed any difference in the thickness of the blonde ones.

8 169
 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 04:03 PM)Olschoolsteel Wrote: Wow Freddie you must be getting OLD. I think I am about the same age as you, and I am constantly telling my wife that that my whiskers are turning blonde from being in the sun. She seems unconvinced. What does she know right?

I never noticed any difference in the thickness of the blonde ones.

I think I feel it more than I look it. Don't know what happened lol. My wife likes to me their not gray, their white! I've told her their Platinum blonde before. Makes me think of Gary Larson. This one is starting to hit close to home.  Smile

[Image: VKUgwRP.jpg]

147 3,536
 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
User Info
I find my grey hairs to be coarser and tougher. I guess the older you are, the tougher/more hardened you become.  Biggrin

83 21,077
 09-13-2015, 08:44 PM
User Info
My grey hairs bothers me a lot less now that there is more of them... makes them stand out less.

In my experience it's no real difference between my greys and my non-greys as far as shaving goes.

3 4,484
 09-13-2015, 10:38 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
My gray whiskers always seemed coarser and curlier, but then I've gotten to the point where I no longer have others to compare them to. Cool

- Murray

4 1,150
 09-15-2015, 10:09 AM
  • chrisbd
  • Hampshire, England
User Info
(09-13-2015, 01:21 PM)Haggises Wrote: My grey hairs often seem more wiry and stronger than the remaining brown ones. Haven't noticed any difference in the shaving of them.

My experience too. The grey bristles seem to grow straighter and stronger than both remaining black ones but I can't say I've noticed any difference in shaving.

Rergards,
Chris

1 106
 09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 02:51 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I've never had a problem cutting them. Just getting them to properly come through the skin sometimes is the issue. Since I started wet shaving I no longer have that issues with my "normal"  whiskers.

+1.  Especially on my cheeks, the grey whiskers have become problematic.  I used to be able to shave ATG on my cheeks, but now it's 2 WTG passes or I risk the ingrowns.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.

9 1,203