09-13-2015, 02:11 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Last year I picked up a puck of this shaving soap at a barber supply place in Columbus Ga where I was  grabbing a few aftershaves.IIRC it was a little over a dollar.When I got home I tossed it in a drawer and there it sat until last week.I was re-equipping my half bath for some early a.m. shaving ,so the wife can sleep a little longer.I tore open the plastic wrapper and placed the soap in a ramekin for use.I hoped that a soap by an old line barber supply company would be pretty good.The soap has a neutral scent and is very hard.

Now here is the problem.......disappearing lather.I am rather perplexed.I have tried synthetic and natural brushes,face lathering,bowl lathering,cool water ,hot water,pre soaking the puck,heavy and light loading of the brush and the result is always the same.A brush full of lather that when applied to the face disappears within 60 seconds.The thick lather starts disappearing as the bubbles of the lather pop leaving a thin film of adequately slick residue that can be used to shave.The brush holds enough lather for a second pass with no problem.The  soap film seems fairly slick.I am a guy that could get the much  disliked Colgate soap to lather well and shave with no problem,but this stuff  is giving me fits.

Any body alse have any experience with this soap?

0 275
 09-13-2015, 02:19 PM
User Info
What are the ingredients?

13 947
 09-13-2015, 02:34 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
It was an unlabeled puck that the proprietor had tossed into a bowl on the shelf with a few of it's mates.From the cream-white color of the soap I think it is tallow based like Williams .From the looks its just an old fashioned barbers soap.That seemed to be the target market from what I've seen online.

0 275
 09-13-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
You mentioned the air bubbles of lather popping, maybe you have too much water and thus large bubbles which will result in a unstable lather. I make sure to not have any large air bubbles in my lather and only very few if any tiny bubbles, just a smooth sheen of lather, whether face lathering or bowl lathering. You might need to start with a dryer brush and just add drops of water each time. But it does sound like you know what you're doing and tried everything, in which case it is probably just a bad soap.

13 947
 09-14-2015, 11:30 AM
User Info
try using distilled water

2 58
 09-14-2015, 11:38 AM
User Info
Mary is one of the worst soaps I ever used. Wouldn't even work ad a bath bar.

Bottom line, the soap sucks.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
By air bubbles I meant the microscopic bubbles that makes up the lather  soap/water/bubble matrix.I have looked up reviews online and roughly 80% say the same thing,,,,disappearing lather that leaves a slick film .One fellow said he added oil to his lather to keep it from collapsing.Never heard of that before but I may try it with some glycerin i have in the cabinetThis a.m. I heavily loaded(triple the usual amount) my damp boar brush  and worked up a thick lather on the brush that collapsed upon application,although I will say the residue was thicker and almost qualified as lather.The foam stayed around on my beard just fine,in fact I used it as a lather reservoir  for reapplication to the areas I was shaving.It is a shame that an old school product is so bad.Although the disappearing lather that leaves a slick residue may be intentional so a barber could see what he was cutting.....hmmm maybe.After all I don't get a bad shave from it   just no lather.

equipment used:gillete gold 3 piece,burma brush,marvy soap ,brass bowl,astra green blade,witch hazel-russian forest cologne mix.

0 275
 12-15-2015, 08:38 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Update

Marvy's makes a really good base for Superlather.It is pretty slick by itself but add a bit of cream and you can get a good lather that lasts and a very good shave.

0 275
 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Best use for Marvey is as a puck in the Urinal. Actually to me it smells like a urinal

68 1,068
 12-15-2015, 05:54 PM
User Info
Add Citric Acid to your water...

0 71