09-13-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
I'm wondering if someone would  compare the iconic Simpson Chubby 2 with the new Vie-Long Epsilon 2 band brushes, in either the 50 or 55mm lofts. The Chubby is specified to be 27mm x 51mm, very close to the Epsilon at 27mm x 50mm.  I don't have a Chubby, but I am amazed at the density and softness of the Epsilon and am curious how they compare. I have the 50mm Epsilon and am going to get the 55 for my own comparison.

10 1,667
 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM
User Info
(09-13-2015, 08:45 PM)number six Wrote: I'm wondering if someone would  compare the iconic Simpson Chubby 2 with the new Vie-Long Epsilon 2 band brushes, in either the 50 or 55mm lofts. The Chubby is specified to be 27mm x 51mm, very close to the Epsilon at 27mm x 50mm.  I don't have a Chubby, but I am amazed at the density and softness of the Epsilon and am curious how they compare. I have the 50mm Epsilon and am going to get the 55 for my own comparison.

Hmm...I have a chubby 1 two band and a chubby 3 in three band, but somehow never went for the chubby 2? I would love to know as well,  as I'm waiting for Vie-long to come out with a Epsilon in butterscotch.

8 844
 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
User Info
I own a Chubby 2 in super and "owned" one of the original LE Epsilon two bands in 50mm loft. The Chubby 2 is a very dense brush but while it is a lather hog it is still very usable. It is scrubby but not scritchy which is what I like. 

I own 12 high end badger brushes with good examples of M&F (and Paladin) finest and blonde as well as Rooney heritage hair. I also own Simpsons manchurian brushes, a Thater three band, a Shavemac two band silvertip as well as a Savile Row 3326. I also own boar brushes. I say all that because the LE Epsilon two band set at 50mm loft was the only brush that has been so scritchy/prickly that it was unusable for me. In my opinion it was far to dense for a bulb shaped knot to be set at such a short loft. 

So to answer your question, the Simpsons chubby 2 is in my opinion a better brush. I am curious to hear other peoples opinions on the LE Epsilons and the new batches as I think I may have just gotten a bad knot.

8 206
 09-13-2015, 11:53 PM
User Info
The only Simpson I have tried so far is a Chubby 1 in Super.

I have tried a variety of synthetics, boars and horse brushes.

Badger brushes I have tried so for are both hair types from WD and a Edwin Jagger in best.

Currently I have: 1 Omega 49, 1 Semogue 610, a WD 24 mm synthetic and a Epsilon first generation White Horse

My badgers: 1 Paladin Chief, 1 Paladin TSN LE and a Epsilon 2nd generation 2-band with a 55mm loft

All 3 badgers I currently have are heaven - each with different characteristics - but all great in their own right.

The Epsilon is VERY dense - but much more enjoyable than the Simpson. The Simpson was simply soulless. I could imagine the Epsilon with a short loft to be quiet scrubby, but with the high loft it is really a great performing brush. It is a bit of a lather hog, but you would expect nothing less from such a dense brush...

Also: mine (and most others) are a 28mm knot.

7 903
 09-14-2015, 03:47 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I own the Epsilon two band and a Simpson chubby 2 in super. I enjoy both brushes very much. I find the tips extremely soft but the epsilon has a tiny bit of scritch if doing circles. The Simpson did for the first couple uses but that went away. Both brushes are lather hogs. Both handles are very similar in size and weight. I think the Simpson chubby the better "dense" brush but the epsilon is very close in density.

7 450
 09-14-2015, 04:48 AM
User Info
I own both, an Epsilon two band 27 x 50 and a couple of Chubby 2 2-bands, both the Super Badger and the SIlverTip.  The Vie Long is FAR more dense than either of the two band Chubbys.  In fact I always wish the SImpson's two band was a bit more dense than it is.  That said Simpson's two band brushes perform very well, especially in the lather release department.

74 2,272
 09-14-2015, 08:14 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I have a couple of CH2 in Manchurian and two Epsilons  - one silver tip and one in two band. Both of these are 27x55. I compared the Epsilons to my CH2 not so long ago. The Epsilons seem to be much denser than my CH2s, though it looks that the the Epsilon's hairs are thinner/finer than those of the Manchurians.

The silver tip Epsilon is way softer than the CH2s, with no detectable scritch. The two band Epsilon has some scritch (like jtmke says above) but nothing unpleasant. I used it about three times now and it feel like the scritch is getting less noticeable, unless my skin is getting more used to this brush.

All of these brushes are excellent and produce very similar amounts of very stable, protective, and slick lather.

Best,
Alex

113 1,495
 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-14-2015, 04:48 AM)merkur man Wrote: I own both, an Epsilon two band 27 x 50 and a couple of Chubby 2 2-bands, both the Super Badger and the SIlverTip.  The Vie Long is FAR more dense than either of the two band Chubbys.  In fact I always wish the SImpson's two band was a bit more dense than it is.  That said Simpson's two band brushes perform very well, especially in the lather release department.

I have a very similar situation, with the 1st release Epsilon "55mm loft", a Chubby 2 Super 2-band at 55mm loft and Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP 2-band at 50mm loft.  The Vie-Long has more backbone that either Chubby, but that is largely due to the prominent glue bump that is present.  The Vie-Long also has a hint of scritch, very very slight here, while both Chubby brushes have zero scritch.  I haven't used the Vie-Long enough to offer a full evaluation or comparison, but I can say that I enjoy all three brushes immensely and would have a tough time letting any of them go.

144 2,749
 09-14-2015, 10:33 AM
User Info
I have 3 Manchurian Chubby 2's, all 3 have slightly different lofts and knot sizes and none of them are as soft or as dense as my Episilon 27mm/50mm 2 band. There was a little learning curve getting used to the Episilon, but once I had this dialed in I have come to the conclusion that it creates and releases lather more quickly than my CH2's. As far as scritch is concerned I only detected this on my first 2 or 3 lathers and since it has been pure luxury to use. Really becoming a huge fan of this brush.

3 259
 09-14-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
(09-14-2015, 09:45 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 04:48 AM)merkur man Wrote: I own both, an Epsilon two band 27 x 50 and a couple of Chubby 2 2-bands, both the Super Badger and the SIlverTip.  The Vie Long is FAR more dense than either of the two band Chubbys.  In fact I always wish the SImpson's two band was a bit more dense than it is.  That said Simpson's two band brushes perform very well, especially in the lather release department.

I have a very similar situation, with the 1st release Epsilon "55mm loft", a Chubby 2 Super 2-band at 55mm loft and Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP 2-band at 50mm loft.  The Vie-Long has more backbone that either Chubby, but that is largely due to the prominent glue bump that is present.  The Vie-Long also has a hint of scritch, very very slight here, while both Chubby brushes have zero scritch.  I haven't used the Vie-Long enough to offer a full evaluation or comparison, but I can say that I enjoy all three brushes immensely and would have a tough time letting any of them go.

I've never seen a Vie-Long with glue bump Confused

8 1,683
 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(09-14-2015, 10:41 AM)lu20vt Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 09:45 AM)blzrfn Wrote:

+1 I do not recall noticing any glue bump in either of my Epsilons too Confused

113 1,495
 09-14-2015, 11:15 AM
User Info
(09-14-2015, 11:01 AM)ARGH Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 10:41 AM)lu20vt Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 09:45 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I have a very similar situation, with the 1st release Epsilon "55mm loft", a Chubby 2 Super 2-band at 55mm loft and Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP 2-band at 50mm loft.  The Vie-Long has more backbone that either Chubby, but that is largely due to the prominent glue bump that is present.  The Vie-Long also has a hint of scritch, very very slight here, while both Chubby brushes have zero scritch.  I haven't used the Vie-Long enough to offer a full evaluation or comparison, but I can say that I enjoy all three brushes immensely and would have a tough time letting any of them go.

My 2nd gen. 50mm has no detectable glue bump...

10 1,667
 09-14-2015, 03:00 PM
User Info
I also have a 2nd gen 2 band @ 50mm. It has no detectable glue bump, it is still breaking in after around 8 shaves. Its softer and is still blooming although it is still a very dense knot and hasn't bloomed that much do to the short loft.

0 22
 09-14-2015, 03:14 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-14-2015, 11:15 AM)number six Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 11:01 AM)ARGH Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 10:41 AM)lu20vt Wrote: I've never seen a Vie-Long with glue bump Confused

My 2nd gen. 50mm has no detectable glue bump...

My 1st gen Epsilon was ordered as a 55mm loft, the knot measures 29mm in diameter with a 54mm loft.  The glue bump protrudes 3mm above the collar at the perimeter, if the brush was ordered with a 50mm loft this glue bump would sit below the handle and undetectable.  Both Simpson brushes have no detectable glue bump and both splay easier than the Vie-Long.  I have provided some pictures for a density comparison.

[Image: vaZI1zt.jpg][Image: YRSQN1y.jpg]

144 2,749
 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
I own these:
Epsilon black 2-band 54 mm loft and Epsilon Faux horn 3-band 52 mm loft

Chubby 2 Super 3-band, Chubby 2 Manchurian, Chubby 2 Mixed Best/Super & Chubby 2 2-band Silvertip.

No glue bumps in either Epsilon.

Both Epsilons are VERY densely packed, no Simpson, except my big boy CH3 Chubby Three Manchurian, can compete.

The Chubby 2 2-band Silvertip is less dense, has softer tips and better flow through. 

The Epsilon 2-band can better be compared to my Chubby 2 Manchurian, but still not. I would rather compare my Epsilon 2-band to my Shavemac D01 2-band. Extremely dense, some scratch at the tips and a very exfoliating brush experience. Not for the faint hearted. Only use it when I have several days beard growth. Not for daily usage, too dense and scrubby. Could cause problems for sensitive skin Gentlemen. 

The Chubby 2 2-band Silvertip is more comparable to Shavemac 2-band Silvertip and the Thäter 2-band hair. Soft tips, soft feel, less dense, better flow through.

Just my 2 cents

24 5,965