09-14-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
I really like the design of the Cobra Classic and due to its unavailability and price point, I've decided to collect injector razors. I was thoroughly impressed by the shave using an injector, smooth yet efficient. I used Personna stainless blades that came with the lot that I won on eBay.
Are there any injector razors that are similar in design and performance? Or are the injector razors in their own league?

0 82
 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
I currently use a Schick N-type injector, considered a mild shaver, even with premium NOS Schick and Personna blades. I had a pass-around Cobra for a short while that I used with a Kai Mild blade. My guess is you'd have to drop down the Schick alphabet to a G- or I-type to find something approaching Cobra territory. The Pal injector might also be somewhat similar to the Cobra in both performance, certainly design. And yes, "real" injectors, overall, are a different breed; the blades certainly are.

29 1,776
 09-14-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
The closest razor to the Cobra Classic is -- IMHO -- the Pal Stainless Adjustable Injector.   It is a beautiful piece of stainless art-deco (designed, I believe, by Raymond Lowe).  More importantly, it is a classically aggressive shaver:  use it with current Chinese Schicks or with NOS Schick Plus Platinum and it will give a fabulous shave.   At about 4, it is quite aggressive.   Feel is similar to the Cobra Classic.  I have both, and the two are largely interchangeable.   The Pal can be gotten on eBay, but look for one in good order.

Best wishes,

Stanley

2 155
 09-15-2015, 06:16 AM
User Info
For me, I haven't found any injector that can compare to the Cobra due to the sharpness and the length of the Feather blades used with this razor as opposed to the shorter and duller current Schick blades used for the typical injector razors. Of course, this will always be a YMMV. Shy

83 21,077
 09-15-2015, 07:13 AM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 06:16 AM)celestino Wrote: For me, I haven't found any injector that can compare to the Cobra due to the sharpness and the length of the Feather blades used with this razor as opposed to the shorter and duller current Schick blades used for the typical injector razors. Of course, this will always be a YMMV. Shy

Ain't that the truth. The first Chinese Schick blade I tried in my new injector was sharp and smooth. Subsequent blades have been much rougher. The old variability curse on these things strikes again. I'd say that a Personna 74 blade about two to three shaves in comes closest to the Cobra experience -- in my experience. But it's still different.

29 1,776
 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
If the attribute of the Cobra that is desired is aggressiveness, then I agree with the poster that recommended a PAL Adjustable.  Problem is that some of them had a design flaw that made them face shredders.  Don't have a link handy but there was quite a bit of discussion several years ago @ B&B about it.  Another alternative is the Schick Type M Adjustable.  You can usually find them at a reasonable price if you are patient, and wide open they are as aggressive as the Cobra.  A Schick Type E or G is also mildly aggressive, and can be had quite reasonably.

Since the Cobra itself isn't really an injector razor, but rather a kind of mutant shavette with a safety bar and a twisted head .. it is really apples and pears.  I have used a Cobra and found it less than optimal due to the length of the head, around the Adam's Apple in particular.  The Cobra Classic that I had was roughly cast and didn't much make my day shaving wise, and has long departed.

44 473
 09-15-2015, 11:21 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(09-15-2015, 06:16 AM)celestino Wrote: For me, I haven't found any injector that can compare to the Cobra due to the sharpness and the length of the Feather blades used with this razor as opposed to the shorter and duller current Schick blades used for the typical injector razors. Of course, this will always be a YMMV. Shy

+2

No feather blade - no cobra

17 535
 09-15-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
 09-15-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
Feather needs to come out with a razor for the se blades other then the ac kamisori/ straight styes

2 58
 09-15-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
In terms of looks, I think it is the Type F.  In terms of shave I agree it is a bit lower in the alphabet.  

[Image: Cobra25.jpg]
[Image: Cobra003.jpg]
[Image: Cobra004.jpg]
[Image: Cobra005.jpg]
[Image: Cobra006.jpg]
[Image: Cobra014.jpg]
[Image: Cobra016.jpg]
[Image: Cobra017.jpg]
[Image: Cobra018.jpg]
[Image: Cobra019.jpg]

61 487
 09-15-2015, 02:38 PM
User Info
Wow excellent photos to show the similarity Michael. Thank you very much. By saying cobra is lower in the alphabet, means more aggressive? I am really no expert with injectors!
Dummy question is that an F Type in the pic?

14 482
 09-15-2015, 03:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
To each his own, YMMV, etc.

Me, I much prefer a Schick E or G to the Cobra. I have to agree that's its unfortunate that there aren't better injector blades, though.

60 1,600
 09-15-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 02:38 PM)1SOAP Wrote: By saying cobra is lower in the alphabet, means more aggressive?

Is that an F Type in the pic?

By lower in the alphabet I was actually referring to the Schick models, and I think the E is more aggressive (than the F) and on-par with the Cobra. As MaxP noted it is always a YYMV situation, and while I prefer the Cobra I think most injectors are phenomenal shavers. I just prefer the Feather blades.

Yes, an old photo of a type F I once owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 487
 09-16-2015, 06:04 AM
User Info
Thanks Michael.
I haven't used injectors or injector blades in any razor but I can't see any blade outperform the artist club blades used in the cobra & mongoose. I could be wrong, again since I never used injectors

14 482
 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM
User Info
I have purchased the PAL and Schick adjustable razors recently, as well as Personna injector and will aim to compare the shaves to a Mongoose. I've tried looking for a Type F as well but it appears that it is not as common.

0 82
 09-18-2015, 02:54 AM
User Info
Schick Adjustable with vintage Gillette Twinjector blades is one of the best shaves I can achieve.  Much better for me than Cobra or Mongoose.

102 1,403
 09-18-2015, 06:41 AM
User Info
I also am a lucky owner of a Schick F, a rather rare bird.  Nice razor, but it really does not clamp the blade as well as I would like.   It is a rare example of art deco design, all metal and quite beautiful.

As for injector blades, I am now convinced that nothing currently being made is up to the standard of the classic Schick plus platinum blades now long out of production.   The Ted Pella blades are good (personna, I believe, though not marked) and the current Chinese Schicks are also good.   Neither compares for sharpness with the Feather pro blades for the Cobra/Mongoose.

Stanley

2 155
 09-18-2015, 06:57 AM
User Info
I read that someone was cutting and fitting Feather blades into a Schick injector. Sounds like going through a lot of trouble and risk but still, am curious about how that goes.

8 1,127
 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 06:57 AM)lloydrm Wrote: I read that someone was cutting and fitting Feather blades into a Schick injector. Sounds like going through a lot of trouble and risk but still, am curious about how that goes.

It isn't very practical and they don't fit, very well. I didn't enjoy the process and wouldn't advise it. However, YMMV. Shy

83 21,077
 09-18-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 06:57 AM)lloydrm Wrote: I read that someone was cutting and fitting Feather blades into a Schick injector. Sounds like going through a lot of trouble and risk but still, am curious about how that goes.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=21682

6 827