09-14-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
My first post!  I've learned a lot already thanks to all of the knowledgeable posts on this site. However I still don't know when I should be lathering my soap....

I prefer to shave immediately after I exit the shower, but by the time I spend a minute or two to whip up my soap, my warm soft beard gets cold.  But, if I mix the soap BEFORE I get into the shower my lather will be cold by the time I'm ready to apply it. 

I suppose there's a logical answer, so please enlighten me.

0 1
 09-14-2015, 05:24 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've tried a number of ways, right now (still sort of summer here in the Mitten) I make the lather first, then face lather up when I get out of the shower.  Beard is still hydrated, if your lather is right it will last longer than the hot water for the shower (continuous flow water heater not withstanding).  Once it's winter-time, I make the lather or at least the pre-lather, then set it in a piping hot scuttle for the duration of me shower.

If you gotta have warm lather the scuttle is the bomb

And welcome to TSN by the by

43 461
 09-14-2015, 05:53 PM
User Info
There's probably a better way, but currently I whip up my lather after washing my stubble. My beard does seem to dry out while I whip up my lather, but I just re-wet it before lathering my face. I figure my beard isn't dry long enough to undo the softening washing accomplished.

0 1,055
 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM
User Info
Just apply warm water to your face before you start (face) lathering. It would mimic the same thing as if you had just finished your shower regardless if you are bowl or face-lathering. Shy

82 21,056
 09-14-2015, 06:53 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-14-2015, 05:17 PM)AndyS Wrote: My first post!  I've learned a lot already thanks to all of the knowledgeable posts on this site. However I still don't know when I should be lathering my soap....

I prefer to shave immediately after I exit the shower, but by the time I spend a minute or two to whip up my soap, my warm soft beard gets cold.  But, if I mix the soap BEFORE I get into the shower my lather will be cold by the time I'm ready to apply it. 

I suppose there's a logical answer, so please enlighten me.

Welcome to this congenial discussion.

While I cannot tell you what YOU should do, I can tell you what works for ME.  

Before you get into the shower, create a heat reservoir in your (preferably ceramic) shaving mug.  That means that you:  (a) run the faucet in your sink until the water runs hot,  then (b) close the sink stopper, © put your mug into the sink, and (d) run the hot water from your faucet into the mug until it overflows into the sink, and fills up the sink to the top of the gunwales of your mug.  (e) Shut off the water, and put your razor in the mug to warm it up.  (f)  Pour a bit of hot water atop the soap in its container/bowl.  (g) Take your shower.  

(h)  After coming out of the shower, drain the sink and drain your mug, and fill the mug up, overflowing with the hot water, up to the gunwales of the mug again.   (i)  While the mug is filling up, smear the very thinnest layer you can possibly apply of Noxzema Classic Clean Original Cleansing Cream onto your beard;  DO NOT OVER-APPLY; a thin film is better than gobs of product.   (j)  Dump the hot water out of the mug into the sink, and dump the (now-cooled) water from the soap puck into the now-hot mug, where the mug's heat reservoir that you have created will warm it up.   (k) Take your (still dry) brush and use it to whip up a proto-lather in the hot mug from the pour-off water from the soap puck.   (l)  Swish the brush over the (cooled-off) soap puck a few swirls, then move the brush back to the proto-lather in the mug to warm up the tips of the brush, and whip up the enriched proto-lather briefly, before:  (m) face lathering.

It takes much more time to write and read the above than it does to do what the recipe suggests.

Emily Witherspoon founded what may or may not have been the first, but was certainly among the earliest, mens' shaving sites on the internet.  Originally, "EmsPlace.com".   Her advice there:  The lather should be warm.  If you follow the steps above, the lather will be warm.

0 1,050
 09-14-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
Really excellent post Mel -- thanks. I don't do it exactly the way you do, but your method sounds sure-fire. That tip about Noxema is something I will have to try. I've got some Proraso pre-shave that is a similar idea -- less is more!

Also the scuttle. Scuttles are wonderful and even if you're a face latherer, you can get an extra small scuttle for just the brush. Mine works very well indeed, but it complicates things enough to keep it just for "special occasions". I think a hot wet towel is both pleasant and useful too, but again -- "special occasions".

Also, there are plenty of people who shave while showering. Everybody finds their own best way -- and for me, after decades of wet shaving there are still new techniques to handle those constantly changing parts of the face known as the beard.

Shaving wrinkles and wattles is difficult, but it can be done -- even with a straight razor!

Euro

5 395
 09-15-2015, 06:26 AM
User Info
I'm kind of a simply guy.  While I'm sure it works for most, I think the advice of needing to shave immediately after a hot shower or wrapping a hot towel on your face right up to the point of applying lather is unnecessary.  In fact, about 2 months ago I followed some advice I read in this forum and I started shaving before the shower (I know, I know, totally unacceptable) and my shaves have never been better or more comfortable.  What I found is that while a hot shower/towel may hydrate and soften your bear, it also hydrates, softens, and swells your skin/pores.  For me this was leading to irritation on my neck instead of helping.  It only takes 2 or 3 minutes for your beard to "hydrate".

I wake up, turn the faucet on hot and put a little hot water on top of my soap, then let it sit while I'm brushing my teeth (if I'm using a boar brush it also soaks during this time).  Then I splash some luke warm water on my face to wet it a little, apply the "bloom water" from the soap onto my face, load up the brush, and go right into a face lather.  Between the water sitting on my face while loading the brush and face lathering my beard is fully hydrated without softening my skin, resulting in extremely comfortable shaves without the need for a 20-step prep routine or rushing to get from one step to the next.  Plus I feel like I'm washing any soap residue off my face better when I shower after the shave.

There's nothing wrong with an elaborate routine if that's what you want to do, but if it becomes overly burdensome or takes away from the shave then it may make sense to try something else.  For a hobby that is so YMMV it's surprising that some things are still considered "holy grail", such as having to shave right after a hot shower/towel.  There's no harm in trying something new and figuring out what you prefer.

10 407
 09-15-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
I am not convinced that in the time after my shower, during which I am preparing my lather, that my skin/stubble dries out. Maybe after an hour, but not after 2 minutes. JMO.

39 3,877
 09-15-2015, 06:37 AM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 06:30 AM)primotenore Wrote: I am not convinced that in the time after my shower, during which I am preparing my lather, that my skin/stubble dries out. Maybe after an hour, but not after 2 minutes. JMO.

I can agree with this.  I shave before and after showers, depending on what is the agenda for the day, and I go straight to lather either way without the need to wet my skin.

I try to keep the process as simple and as efficient as possible.  In the shower, I use my Lucky Tiger face wash, and voila.  Before shower, I clean my face/beard with Noxema, rinse, and lather. Where I do put my time is in the shave itself.  You can prep all you want, but if you approach your shave as a butcher, forget about it.

61 3,796
 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
(09-14-2015, 06:53 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:    (k) Take your (still dry) brush and use it to whip up a proto-lather in the hot mug from the pour-off water from the soap puck. 

Hmm, dry brush ... I've never tried this.

8 1,064
 09-15-2015, 10:33 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-15-2015, 08:03 AM)lloydrm Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 06:53 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:    (k) Take your (still dry) brush and use it to whip up a proto-lather in the hot mug from the pour-off water from the soap puck. 

Hmm, dry brush ... I've never tried this.

It works with a synthetic brush, the bristles of which do not absorb water; I’ve yet to try it with my Vulfix Super Badger, where absorption could take up the water the soap needs to lather.  I probably should have made that caution in my description above.

0 1,050
 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM
User Info
shower, get out of shower, make lather, re-wet your face a little, paint your face.
It's just the easiest way that makes sense.

53 760
 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
however, I would like to share with people that I do not shower before shave anymore.
I used to think I have to heat up my face/beard/hair with scorching hot water to get a good shave, but in the process, it also makes my skin 
less taut and wrinkly, which leads to poor shave.

I read this somewhere on another forum and when I tried it, shave was a lot more comfortable.
Hot shower? sure, it hydrates the hair and gets it ready for shave, but it also softens the skin which could mean that your skin is more prone to get affected by external force,. i.e blade.

Anyone who hasn't tried, try shaving before the shower.  Just wet your face with warm water for about 15~20 seconds. Lather up and shave away.
I haven't noticed any decline in shave quality by doing this.

Can't hurt to try.

53 760
 09-15-2015, 05:13 PM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 10:33 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: It works with a synthetic brush, the bristles of which do not absorb water; I’ve yet to try it with my Vulfix Super Badger, where absorption could take up the water the soap needs to lather.  I probably should have made that caution in my description above.

Oh I see. That makes sense. I don't have a synthetic brush but now I wanna know what it is like.

8 1,064
 09-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-15-2015, 05:13 PM)lloydrm Wrote:
(09-15-2015, 10:33 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: It works with a synthetic brush, the bristles of which do not absorb water; I’ve yet to try it with my Vulfix Super Badger, where absorption could take up the water the soap needs to lather.  I probably should have made that caution in my description above.

Oh I see. That makes sense. I don't have a synthetic brush but now I wanna know what it is like.

This evening, I started a thread (this is a link) that may provide a start on visualizing what it is like.

0 1,050
 09-15-2015, 08:16 PM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 06:26 AM)molon_labe Wrote: I'm kind of a simply guy.  While I'm sure it works for most, I think the advice of needing to shave immediately after a hot shower or wrapping a hot towel on your face right up to the point of applying lather is unnecessary.  In fact, about 2 months ago I followed some advice I read in this forum and I started shaving before the shower (I know, I know, totally unacceptable) and my shaves have never been better or more comfortable.  What I found is that while a hot shower/towel may hydrate and soften your bear, it also hydrates, softens, and swells your skin/pores.  For me this was leading to irritation on my neck instead of helping.  It only takes 2 or 3 minutes for your beard to "hydrate"

I've been known to be a bit of a rebel and I have been doing this for almost 4 years, now! Biggrin  I realized, very quickly, that showering before shaving was not beneficial for my face/skin, so I stopped it, immediately, even though most folks recommended it.

I, also, keep it as simple as can be; I get to the washroom, wet my brush under warm running water, quickly wet my face, apply soap, then start lathering. Works like a charm. Shy

82 21,056
 09-15-2015, 10:42 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(09-15-2015, 01:16 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: however, I would like to share with people that I do not shower before shave anymore.
I used to think I have to heat up my face/beard/hair with scorching hot water to get a good shave, but in the process, it also makes my skin 
less taut and wrinkly, which leads to poor shave.

I read this somewhere on another forum and when I tried it, shave was a lot more comfortable.
Hot shower? sure, it hydrates the hair and gets it ready for shave, but it also softens the skin which could mean that your skin is more prone to get affected by external force,. i.e blade.

Anyone who hasn't tried, try shaving before the shower.  Just wet your face with warm water for about 15~20 seconds. Lather up and shave away.
I haven't noticed any decline in shave quality by doing this.

Can't hurt to try.

(09-15-2015, 08:16 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-15-2015, 06:26 AM)molon_labe Wrote: I'm kind of a simply guy.  While I'm sure it works for most, I think the advice of needing to shave immediately after a hot shower or wrapping a hot towel on your face right up to the point of applying lather is unnecessary.  In fact, about 2 months ago I followed some advice I read in this forum and I started shaving before the shower (I know, I know, totally unacceptable) and my shaves have never been better or more comfortable.  What I found is that while a hot shower/towel may hydrate and soften your bear, it also hydrates, softens, and swells your skin/pores.  For me this was leading to irritation on my neck instead of helping.  It only takes 2 or 3 minutes for your beard to "hydrate"

I've been known to be a bit of a rebel and I have been doing this for almost 4 years, now! Biggrin  I realized, very quickly, that showering before shaving was not beneficial for my face/skin, so I stopped it, immediately, even though most folks recommended it.

I, also, keep it as simple as can be; I get to the washroom, wet my brush under warm running water, quickly wet my face, apply soap, then start lathering. Works like a charm. Shy

I may need to try this....

28 1,620
 09-16-2015, 03:57 AM
User Info
When I used a fusion cart I always shaved then showered. Now I shower then shave... Biggrin

39 3,877
 09-16-2015, 05:06 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have always shaved after showering and the pattern set. I have shaved pre-shower to good effect but habit has me shaving most often post-shower.

I honestly don't find it makes a ton of difference in my case.

I do think as shaving becomes more of a hobby that my tendency is to make it more complicated than it actually needs to be and a good shave is not quite as dependent on perceived variables as I may at times think.

2 1,180
 09-16-2015, 05:23 AM
User Info
(09-15-2015, 08:16 PM)celestino Wrote:

If that's your method I know I'm in good company.

10 407