09-15-2015, 01:42 PM
User Info
Hey guys,
While in the process going through some old boxes left behind by my grandfather, I stumbled upon an old shaving kit of his.  Inside it had a couple of old Gillette razors.  One I have identified as a travel size three piece very short handled Gillette and the other is the typical trapdoor style.  Their both in very good shape considering where they've been for the past 17 years since he died and no telling how long he actually used them while he was still alive.  

I was wondering if there is a way of dating them.  I've done some quick research on-line but unable to determine with my level of expertise.  There are no date stamp on either of them, but I gather Gillette didn't do that anyway.  The only markings are the typical "Pat. Nos. On Pkg." inside the doors and the standard stamps on the bottom of the head.  Same for the three piece travel razor.

I am pretty positive the butterfly is a "Flair Tip Super Speed".  I've seen several of them on ebay but they are being presented as specific year models.  I looked closely at those razors also but was unable to determine how they come up with a year.  They all looked exactly the same.  

I apologize for the quality of the pics as they were taken hastily from my iPhone.

Any help from the vast knowledge of this forum would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

[Image: zlcwMXn.jpg][Image: fAHcvbZ.jpg]
[Image: CCXX8qk.jpg][Image: MTutQ0m.jpg]

3 193
 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Hi fred, there should be a letter/Number code on them - underneath the head, I'll try & find an example but usually it is the Letter Code on the left and a number (1 to 4) for the quarter to the right  codes can be found here courtesy of the Badger & Blade Wiki  http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillet...nformation

Here's a J-4 for example, Fourth Quarter, 1964 (picture borrowed from Mr. Razor's site)

[Image: uZKvnE3.jpg]

43 459
 09-15-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
It's definitely a 60s Flare Tip, though, as it has no banding on the TTO knob.

0 25
 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
Hey "garyg".  Thank you so much for the info.  My razor is stamped E1 so that makes it a 1959 1st quarter.....  I knew someone would come through for me.  Thanks and thanks TSN...

3 193
 09-16-2015, 02:25 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
The 3 piece Gillette travel Tech will have the same date coding. All Gillettes do prior to 1950 ( I believe ). Earlier than that and you need an expert set of eyes. But this site is full of them. I am always suprised as to the depth of knowledge some members have.

72 1,224