09-16-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
So today I had razor bumps for the first time all over my face.  I am a daily shaver, have good technique whether using cartridge or double edge.  Yesterday I shaved for the first time with a new Feather FII cartridge.  No issues, seemingly.  I used MW Lily of the Valley, as I have a bunch of samples from MW that I am working with and a very well broken in Omega Boar.  
Today, I shaved with a brand new med prep in a superspeed.  Normal three pass shave.  Used MW Pioggio di.. and a TGC synthetic.  After the shave, despite not a very close shave (my intentions), I have many razor bumps on my face and neck.  I never have really gotten razor bumps.  
Just to help trouble shoot, I think that since receiving the Feather MR3 Neo and using the MR3 NEO blades and FII Neo blades, I have seen some ingrown hairs on my neck.  I cannot quite be 100% certain that these began appearing only after the MR3 receipt, but I have never had trouble with ingrowns before, even before using Carts prior to delving in to wet shaving and learning how to use a  DE and SE.  
So, my question is what does everything might be causing my issues?  Though I am one of the few, I never had good experiences with Feather DE blades.  They were always sharp and extremely rough.  Could my problem be the Feather Carts using the same blade/coating they use on their DE blades and it just didn't show up until after this mornings shave?  Could it be MW soaps?  Could it be the Medprep blade?  I never have really had skin issues as a result of shaving, so I am perplexed and just looking for some ideas.  
Thanks
Tony

90 904
 09-16-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
Tony, could it be the razor-sharp blades of the MR3 Neo? I have heard that they are the sharpest of all cartridge razors. They just might require a gentler touch/pressure.
Good luck resolving your issue.

83 21,110
 09-16-2015, 07:48 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yes. It could be any of those things you mentioned. Here's my take on the subject. Multi blade carts are known to cause razor bumps in some people. Afaik, it may be due to the way in which  hair is pulled out of the skin and subsequently cut again, so that after your pass what remains of the hair snaps back under the surface of your skin, just below the surface pushing up, trying to grow once more. Think of razor bumps as your whiskers just trying to grow but they're being thwarted by inefficient shavers and resilient, unyielding skin.

7 2,357
 09-16-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Besides the causes mentioned, infection could also be a cause. Treating your razor and blade with alcohol, and using an alcohol-based aftershave could potentially help.

Since there are so many potential causes, you've got to start testing variables one at a time.

0 1,098
 09-16-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
I quit going AGT for some time now.  After reading medical journals that specifically stated shaving ATG is the major cause for bumps and ingrown hairs.  Who am I to argue with doctors Biggrin 

WTG x2 is just fine for a DFS, and that's all I need.

I agree with Brian above, good advise.

61 3,796
 09-16-2015, 09:55 AM
User Info
What directions do you shave?
Do you have grey whiskers?

9 1,208
 09-16-2015, 09:59 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-16-2015, 07:48 AM)chazt Wrote: Afaik, it may be due to the way in which  hair is pulled out of the skin and subsequently cut again, so that after your pass what remains of the hair snaps back under the surface of your skin, just below the surface pushing up, trying to grow once more.

I have never seen any substantiation that a cartridge razor blade pulls the hair out of the skin, any more than a DE blade or an SE blade pulls the hair out of the skin.  There was the Gillette advertisement for the original Trac II that ran on television umpity gazilion times, but that ad was probably a fabrication of the advertising agency, not an illustration of a real world mechanism;  after that first TV ad had run its course, Gillette never ran another ad that made a similar claim.   Blades are designed to cut, not to pull; the teeth of the burr in my coffee grinder do not pull each coffee bean up for the next tooth in line to cut it.  It think that it would be a difficult engineering exercise to design a blade that penetrates deeply enough into a whisker shaft to grab and to yank the whisker up without cutting off the whisker.

1 1,109
 09-16-2015, 10:21 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I hope it's not the razor. To Mel's point no hair being pulled from the Feather.  Just a sharp clean cut.  
Never warmed to their DE blades but the MR3 blades are incredible. 
Love the Wolfman, Baby Smooth and Stealth but the MR3 provides a shave that tops the best DE shaves I can achieve with those razors.

Maybe lighten up the pressure a bit and go WTG only for a while.

42 1,041
 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
This morning was with a brand new FII blade.  I have to admit with the MR3 blade (the one with the wires) I got some incredibly smooth shaves, though the cartridge does not last nearly as long as a gillette fusion proglide does for me.  But maybe those FII blades, without the protective threads, treat me the same as the Feather DE blades do.  They just don't get along with my face.  

To answer some other questions, I do not have gray hair.  I do not believe I have any overly course hair, but I have a lot of growth.  If I don't shave everyday, it is certainly noticed and I have to remain clean and smooth shaven for my employment.  Also, as my username suggests, I shave my head daily as well (though I do that in the shower).  
Well I suppose tomorrow I will use the Fat to lather, and use my EJ89 with a Derby blade loaded in to go mild mild.  Maybe even skip ATG.  I have a lot of meetings tomorrow, but no public appearances so it will be sufficient.  It just perplexes me as I am 37 and have been a daily shaver for at least the last 15 years and have never had this issue before.  Its got to be either the FII blades or the Mystic Water soap.  I am going to bet it is the FII blades.  Its time for trial and error.  
On the bright side for you all, there is probably going to be 8 brand new FII blades for sale at a good price in the near future as I know alot of people like them.

90 904
 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-16-2015, 09:59 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-16-2015, 07:48 AM)chazt Wrote: Afaik, it may be due to the way in which  hair is pulled out of the skin and subsequently cut again, so that after your pass what remains of the hair snaps back under the surface of your skin, just below the surface pushing up, trying to grow once more.

I have never seen any substantiation that a cartridge razor blade pulls the hair out of the skin, any more than a DE blade or an SE blade pulls the hair out of the skin.  There was the Gillette advertisement for the original Trac II that ran on television umpity gazilion times, but that ad was probably a fabrication of the advertising agency, not an illustration of a real world mechanism;  after that first TV ad had run its course, Gillette never ran another ad that made a similar claim.   Blades are designed to cut, not to pull; the teeth of the burr in my coffee grinder do not pull each coffee bean up for the next tooth in line to cut it.  It think that it would be a difficult engineering exercise to design a blade that penetrates deeply enough into a whisker shaft to grab and to yank the whisker up without cutting off the whisker.

My barber explained it to me thusly, but if I am wrong in relating that, well, then I stand corrected. I'm not married to the concept.

7 2,357
 09-17-2015, 04:31 AM
User Info
One more variable I noticed this morning is that for the past maybe week or week and a half I have been filling up the sink and rinsing the razor in that water as opposed to running it under running and fresh water.  This morning I went back to running it under fresh water.  However, I am still convinced that is the Feather blades.  I will go back to my DEs mixed in with my trusty gillette sensor excel for every day use.  
I did have a nice pleasant shave this morning with my EJ89, med prep blade, MWF soap.  Three passes all WTG, finished with my trusty Aqua Velva.  Still have the bumps (which coinciidetnly look more like ingrown hairs today), but absolutely ZERO irritation during or after the shave.  Of course I have a 5 oclock shadow already but that is a different story.

90 904