09-16-2015, 04:27 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Why is it a blade like say a GSB shaves closer in a more aggressive razor but a feather shaves closer in a mild razor. Why is this. Anybody know or thank they know?

5 527
 09-16-2015, 04:37 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Great question! I hope someone can answer this because I sure can't.

28 1,619
 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM
User Info
It is probably in your head. I have never noticed a difference in closeness with whichever blade I used, assuming everything else is the same.

18 713
 09-17-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
There are a whole lot of variables.  First, the closeness of the shave depends on the angle at which you hold the razor.  You may be holding the razor at different angles with different blades, because they tend to feel a bit different.   Second, there are often magic combinations of razor and blade, some of which are specifically designed for each other: example, the feather razor and blade, designed for the particular sharpness of the feather blade, and adjusted for angle and gap to give an optimal shave for that purpose.

And of course, there is the factor that it is difficult to judge how close a razor shaves in a shave or two.  For me, and obviously YMMV, it takes two weeks or so to judge the closeness and aggressiveness of a blade/razor combination.  

That having been said, I still find your conclusion a bit puzzling.   For me, the sharpest blades -- given the same razor -- give the closest shave.  Not necessarily the smoothest or most comfortable, but the closest.

Stanley

2 155
 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM
User Info
the blade that gave me a BAD face removing shave in a Gillette slim on Monday, when put into a Gillette NEW improved on Thursday can give me a shave that cant be beaten by anything else.

angle my man. angle f the blade in the razor and the angle of the razor head to your skin. combined with lather qualities.

Take those razors again and carefully use them each. see how you do things differently with them. Youll be surprised that you may be doing things lighter ane more purposefully with the slant due to psychological effect caused by the sales pitch of slant head razors.

fast aggressive removal.

0 157
 03-01-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
I used a feather in my semmetry open comb and it was a perfect match no tugging at all one of my best combination shaves. I just started using my ATT H2 I just bought and the feather almost felt like a derby tugged just as much. My hair is extremely thick and wirey, so I thought the feather would perform even better in my H2 was very surprised about that. I then went and bought almost every blade available at try a blade. I'm going to experiment with different types before I try a feather in my h2 again. Does anyone have any suggestions for a blade in the H2 with similar hair?. I only shave twice a week don't really have time to shave everyday.

4 84