09-17-2015, 08:47 PM
User Info
I read through all the threads on the Standard Razor and finally decided to order one the other day when I found the raw model in stock at Standar Razor's website. I can't wait to try it and hope I like it but I m a little worried because some say its aggressive and others say its mild. I am hoping it is less aggressive than a R41 and more aggressive than a DE89, or at least more forgiving than a R41 if it is as aggressive. My goal is to find a good every day shaver that will cut more aggressively than my DE89 while still being forgiving.

13 947
 09-17-2015, 09:32 PM
User Info
Definitely more aggressive then a de98 by a good margin.

This razor really changes character depending on the blade. I get better shaves with a lab blue and horrible shaves with a feather. 

I feel like the standard razor not only has a wide blade gap, but the blade exposure sticks out pretty far too. Definitely a technique heavy razor and not something I'd recommend to a newbie.

18 654
 09-17-2015, 09:54 PM
User Info
I have 2 and love them. They really are excellent razors.

7 1,182
 09-17-2015, 10:13 PM
User Info
Thanks for chiming in. My technique is good so no worry there, just prefer a smooth razor that is forgiving but can still cut through my thick beard. I will try my Astra SPs first and see how those work. I used a feather tonight on my DE89 for the first time in a few months and it was my smoothest shave in a long time. It went so well I might not need to change razors but still look forward to trying the Standard Razor. I think I will be happy but worse case I will use it like my R41 for multiple days growth only.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 03:24 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-17-2015, 09:32 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Definitely a technique heavy razor and not something I'd recommend to a newbie.

Every new tool presents a learning curve.  You can hit your thumb as easily — more easily, in fact — with a tack hammer as with a sledge hammer, but you are more likely to smash a toe with a sledge hammer than with a tack hammer.  Remember:  The DE razor was an invention to be a safety razor.  Even a Mühle R41 fitted with a Feather blade would come up short of  Sweeney Todd’s needs.

Wave1   A year and a half ago, I was already a septuagenarian, and never in my life had held a DE razor in my hand.  I decided to give DE shaving a fair trial and I conducted the same kind of research that Hobbyist did, and a Standard Razors razor was the tool that I chose for the experiment. (Aside:  the brand name is “Standard Razors” -- plural -- so those of us who are afflicted with the OCD of punctiliousness have to add the common noun “razor” after the brand name to refer to the razor in the singular.)  

Although I had been shaving for 55 years — with a brush and shaving soap for nearly fifty of those years — by that time, obviously I had no standard (no pun intended) against which to compare the Standard Razors razor for aggressiveness, so I guess I was a newbie.  I suffered a few nicks and bleeders early on, but I am pretty sure I would have had the same number had I chosen an EJ89 or a Feather AS-D2 as my first DE.  But Hobbyist is no newbie on the DE scene, and has his technique down pat, and I am certain that he will use his Standard Razors razor in good health.  It is an instrument capable of giving its user a very close and smooth shave. 

1 1,086
 09-18-2015, 04:11 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I think you will enjoy it. I had many great daily shaves with mine. I found it more efficient than the DE89.

59 4,486
 09-18-2015, 04:40 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Excellent choice! I find it is as smooth as my 34C.  My face hates a lot of things, and the Standard is very comfortable and gives me BBS with little effort.  The audible feedback is also quite nice.

11 683
 09-18-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 03:24 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 09:32 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Definitely a technique heavy razor and not something I'd recommend to a newbie.

Every new tool presents a learning curve.  You can hit your thumb as easily — more easily, in fact — with a tack hammer as with a sledge hammer, but you are more likely to smash a toe with a sledge hammer than with a tack hammer.  Remember:  The DE razor was an invention to be a safety razor.  Even a Mühle R41 fitted with a Feather blade would come up short of  Sweeney Todd’s needs.

Wave1   A year and a half ago, I was already a septuagenarian, and never in my life had held a DE razor in my hand.  I decided to give DE shaving a fair trial and I conducted the same kind of research that Hobbyist did, and a Standard Razors razor was the tool that I chose for the experiment. (Aside:  the brand name is “Standard Razors” -- plural -- so those of us who are afflicted with the OCD of punctiliousness have to add the common noun “razor” after the brand name to refer to the razor in the singular.)  

Although I had been shaving for 55 years — with a brush and shaving soap for nearly fifty of those years — by that time, obviously I had no standard (no pun intended) against which to compare the Standard Razors razor for aggressiveness, so I guess I was a newbie.  I suffered a few nicks and bleeders early on, but I am pretty sure I would have had the same number had I chosen an EJ89 or a Feather AS-D2 as my first DE.  But Hobbyist is no newbie on the DE scene, and has his technique down pat, and I am certain that he will use his Standard Razors razor in good health.  It is an instrument capable of giving its user a very close and smooth shave. 

Thanks Mel. I should have indeed used plural followed by singular...lol. I don't understand why a company would choose such a name but they did.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
DOn't worry....you will like the Standard razor a lot.

54 322
 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-18-2015, 06:10 AM)Hobbyist Wrote: Thanks Mel. I should have indeed used plural followed by singular...lol. I don't understand why a company would choose such a name but they did.

Reading and responding to this thread put my Standard Razors razor in my mind; I probably shaved with it 200 times in 2014, but bought an iKon Stainless Slant DLC in January of this year, and have used that as my primary shaving hardware for most of 2015.  So this morning, I pulled the Standard Razors razor off the shelf, and loaded it with the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade that I had used for four shaves from Monday through Thursday of this week.  I lathered with the same (Sampson’s All Natural) shaving soap that I had used yesterday with the iKon, so all the parameters were the same as the Thursday shave, except for the blade being on its fifth, rather than its fourth, shave.

I was surprised — not gobsmacked, but mildly surprised — to recall how efficient the Standard Razors razor is.  As I have no experience with DE razors other than the Standard Razors razor and the iKon DLC Slant, I lack the data to comment on aggresiveness, but efficiency is something that can be roughly measured simply by looking at the clock.  It took me a couple of minutes less time to complete my shave this morning than it took yesterday when I shaved with the iKon.  Not that I measured with a stop watch, mind you, but I look at the clock every morning when I leave the bedroom for the bathroom, and again when I return to the bedroom to get dressed, and thus have a pretty good handle on how long it took me to shave.  

The shave was close and smooth, as I remembered the shaves with the same razor being when it was my primary razor in 2014.  You wil like yours, I am sure:  it’s a keeper.

1 1,086
 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM
User Info
As others have mentioned, it is indeed more aggressive than the EJ89. Nonetheless, I just didn't enjoy the centre post as I found it a bit flimsy and it isn't fixed/attached to either plates. There were times where it actually dislodged from the top-plate and fell to the counter. I guess it is a minor issue, but one that, to me, isn't one of its strongest assests.

82 21,077
 09-18-2015, 10:41 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-18-2015, 09:41 AM)celestino Wrote: As others have mentioned, it is indeed more aggressive than the EJ89. Nonetheless, I just didn't enjoy the centre post as I found it a bit flimsy and it isn't fixed/attached to either plates. There were times where it actually dislodged from the top-plate and fell to the counter. I guess it is a minor issue, but one that, to me, isn't one of its strongest assests.

Did you get your copy as a used item?  The Standard Razors razor is shipped new with a center post-like  (female) socket on the top cap, into which the threaded (male) tip of the handle screws.  Some users have modified Standard Razors razors by forcibly removing the threaded post from the handle and screwing it into the socket on the top cap, securing it with super glue, allowing the head to accept a variety of handles from other makers, such as iKon, that have female sockets at the head end.

1 1,086
 09-18-2015, 11:59 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I've always been somewhat surprised that these razors haven't gotten more love on the forums. I like the aesthetic and it gives a good shave. Their customer service is excellent as well.

Best of luck; I hope you enjoy the shaves!

60 843
 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 09:41 AM)celestino Wrote: As others have mentioned, it is indeed more aggressive than the EJ89. Nonetheless, I just didn't enjoy the centre post as I found it a bit flimsy and it isn't fixed/attached to either plates. There were times where it actually dislodged from the top-plate and fell to the counter. I guess it is a minor issue, but one that, to me, isn't one of its strongest assests.

I read about that issue but I will simply apply some loctite 222 to the threads and install it in the top plate.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 02:30 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 10:41 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Did you get your copy as a used item?  The Standard Razors razor is shipped new with a center post-like  (female) socket on the top cap, into which the threaded (male) tip of the handle screws.  Some users have modified Standard Razors razors by forcibly removing the threaded post from the handle and screwing it into the socket on the top cap, securing it with super glue, allowing the head to accept a variety of handles from other makers, such as iKon, that have female sockets at the head end.
I received mine from another user. I was contemplating gluing the center post if I had decided to keep it.

(09-18-2015, 01:19 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I read about that issue but I will simply apply some loctite 222 to the threads and install it in the top plate.

Good to hear and I hope the shaver works very well for you! Shy

82 21,077
 09-18-2015, 03:45 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 02:30 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 10:41 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Did you get your copy as a used item?  The Standard Razors razor is shipped new with a center post-like  (female) socket on the top cap, into which the threaded (male) tip of the handle screws.  Some users have modified Standard Razors razors by forcibly removing the threaded post from the handle and screwing it into the socket on the top cap, securing it with super glue, allowing the head to accept a variety of handles from other makers, such as iKon, that have female sockets at the head end.
I received mine from another user. I was contemplating gluing the center post if I had decided to keep it.

(09-18-2015, 01:19 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I read about that issue but I will simply apply some loctite 222 to the threads and install it in the top plate.

Good to hear and I hope the shaver works very well for you! Shy

Thank you Celestino.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
feels to me like a more aggressive baby smooth.
It gives me a great shave with GSB or gillette plat.  

Only complain I have is the handle design.  Too slippery.

53 760
 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info

This is what always has scared me away.

15 403
 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 03:24 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

I'm sure I will have a few weepers too when first using the Standard Razors razor. I may have my technique down but that is using the only two DE razors I have ever owned, my R41 and DE89. There will still be a learning curve to get used to the different razor but I am confident it will be worth it. The R41 took me some time to get used to for sure, which is why I asked if the Standard is as aggressive as the R41. My beard likes the aggressiveness but my skin does not.

13 947
 09-19-2015, 05:49 PM
User Info
The standard is an almost perfect razor for those with medium growth. I can shave with it every day with 3 passes and no irritation. Enjoy

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517