09-18-2015, 03:21 AM
User Info
Here is a razor kit that belonged to my grand father. He was in the navy on the USS Illinois (Battleship[Image: 3xnFxq7.jpg]).Any insights would be welcome...I do not think i will be able to use it as it is cracked where the handle threads but I will never part with it. Needs a good cleaning.
[Image: vmGevAl.jpg][Image: jIlAjOy.jpg][Image: w3PgIVZ.jpg][Image: TcgEVPo.jpg]

0 78
 09-18-2015, 03:55 AM
User Info
Now that's the Holy grail!!!!
You can always use an after market handle with the head....

16 215
 09-18-2015, 04:21 AM
User Info
Gillette Old Type, US Navy set - very similar to the Kakhi Set and Service Set but with a different case. There ought to be a serial number on the head (look for something like this). That will tell you when the razor was manufactured.

The crack in the handle shouldn't affect the ability to shave unless it's so bad the threaded insert spins in the handle. Mine is cracked too, yet shaves like a champ despite being close to a hundred year old Smile

3 4,495
 09-18-2015, 04:23 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
That is awesome!

11 684
 09-18-2015, 04:47 AM
User Info
Very nice!

147 3,537
 09-18-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
Really neat kit! 

BB-7 was part of Roosevelt's Great White Fleet.  The logo to the left - represent the Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and the Engineers (the castle).  The logo on the right is Corpsmen, Signal, and Navy. 

Odd that they don't have the Marine Corps logo on the tin.  Were there kits issued with different logos on the case?

4 465
 09-18-2015, 06:34 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 04:21 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Gillette Old Type, US Navy set - very similar to the Kakhi Set and Service Set but with a different case. There ought to be a serial number on the head (look for something like this). That will tell you when the razor was manufactured.

The crack in the handle shouldn't affect the ability to shave unless it's so bad the threaded insert spins in the handle. Mine is cracked too, yet shaves like a champ despite being close to a hundred year old Smile
 I don't see any serial number at all. Worn off? Unfortunatly the handle crack allows the handle to spin and very easily come off.

0 78
 09-18-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 05:42 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Really neat kit! 

BB-7 was part of Roosevelt's Great White Fleet.  The logo to the left - represent the Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and the Engineers (the castle).  The logo on the right is Corpsmen, Signal, and Navy. 

Odd that they don't have the Marine Corps logo on the tin.  Were there kits issued with different logos on the case?

Thankyou so much for that info Cincinnatus. Both my father and grandfather were in the Navy. My father was a 20 year diesel submariner.

0 78
 09-18-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 06:34 AM)Paul6506 Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 04:21 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Gillette Old Type, US Navy set - very similar to the Kakhi Set and Service Set but with a different case. There ought to be a serial number on the head (look for something like this). That will tell you when the razor was manufactured.

I don't see any serial number at all. Worn off? Unfortunatly the handle crack allows the handle to spin and very easily come off.

The handle can be glued if you want to use it, or you can use the head with another handle.

There were several lots of the Old Type made without stamped serial numbers - so that can help date it too. Or it could be worn off, but then you may be able to see it with a strong sideways light.

3 4,495