09-18-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
At first glance, I know that this seems like a crazy/silly idea but I was wondering if any of you guys strop your DE blades. With that being said, I am not looking to extend the life of the blade since they are very cheap but I have noticed an inconsistency in the production of some brand name blades. For example, I like derby as they are forgiving yet they work well for me. However, when I change out the blade for a new one it's always a gamble. Sometimes I a well sharpens smooth edge and other times a get a sharpens rough edge which usually ends up in a blood bath. Any of you encounter this problem with your favorite DE brands? Any suggestions for easy and quick stropping ideas to combat this issue? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 184
 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
It s not a new topic, I gotta find the older threads....   it moved me too!

21 1,175
 09-20-2015, 02:32 PM
User Info
A danish gent and member of B&B. who owns a lengendary amount of Semogue brushes, did a test with the Razorpitt, where he used the same DE blade in the same razor for 100 days in a row.

He still got acceptable results with his 100.th shave using the same DE blade.

He stropped it daily on the Razorpitt.

I believe him and trust his opinion.

You never know if he was sponsored, but I don't think so.

24 5,971
 09-22-2015, 04:18 AM
User Info
I rarely find variations in my blades. Keep working on mastering your shaving and lathering technique. Those are probably your biggest variables. happy shaving!

0 76
 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 02:32 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: A danish gent and member of B&B. who owns a lengendary amount of Semogue brushes, did a test with the Razorpitt, where he used the same DE blade in the same razor for 100 days in a row.

He still got acceptable results with his 100.th shave using the same DE blade.

He stropped it daily on the Razorpitt.

I believe him and trust his opinion.

You never know if he was sponsored, but I don't think so.
Claus, 
can you give an impression of how he stropped?  I think it would be easy to strop with the blade still in the razor... and that is an amazing result, or.. it would be!  

@ DB
It is true as you put it, however stropping a blade is about maintaining it, which is more satisfactory than ditching a blade because of slight edge deformation and getting a new one....

Straight razors are sharpened once in months and then stropped for edge maintenance

21 1,175