06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Last week I got three BBS shaves from a SuperMax Super Platinum blade and then on the 4th shave I got a DFS. I always go for BBS so I was prepared to throw my current blade away today since today would have been the 4th day on this blade. INSTEAD I set my Slim up one notch, from 6 to 7. Lo and behold! I got another smooth BBS (and I have two more notches to go). I believe tomorrow's shave will be at least a DFS which I will settle for. That's 5 smooth, close shaves. I don't believe I can ask for anymore than that. That's an adjustable razor saving me money, albeit a bit at a time. Biggrin

0 396
 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
excellent! Good to know that blade is doing awesome for you Biggrin

I may have to grab me another sample pack in the future... i have SOOOO many that I am currently rotating through Tongue

9 1,684
 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
UD, no increased weepers, tugging or anything? If that's the case, keep going. Until you get any of that or a dramatic decrease in shave efficiency. Jusy keep going. You'll know when the blade has had enough. If you're using the Slim on 7, you can go for the gold...set it to magical 9 and never touch the adjustment dial again. Except to make sure it still works, and then to put it back on 9.

Trust me on this. Use an easy hand and you'll love the razor on 9. It's magical 9.

Yeah, I know what's going through your mind. Just do it. Look at the blade on 7 and then on 9. You're functioally there already, just dial it in and go for it. Same blade.

You'll thank me for suggesting it (or you'll hate me). Biggrin

After you shave with it on 9 this is how you'll feel Cool .

32 6,308
 06-27-2012, 07:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 07:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: UD, no increased weepers, tugging or anything? If that's the case, keep going. Until you get any of that or a dramatic decrease in shave efficiency. Jusy keep going. You'll know when the blade has had enough. If you're using the Slim on 7, you can go for the gold...set it to magical 9 and never touch the adjustment dial again. Except to make sure it still works, and then to put it back on 9.

Trust me on this. Use an easy hand and you'll love the razor on 9. It's magical 9.

Yeah, I know what's going through your mind. Just do it. Look at the blade on 7 and then on 9. You're functioally there already, just dial it in and go for it. Same blade.

OK. I'll give it a try. I jumped from 5 to 7 a week or so ago and got some bad irritation so I dialed it back to 6 and all went well. Today I went back to 7 since the blade was a bit duller. I'll try 9 tomorrow. I'll just have to remember to be careful, careful, careful!

0 396
 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
I'm glad the blade is working well for you. As Brian suggests, you may be able to get more than 5 shaves with it. And if you keep experimenting with other blades, it's not unlikely that you'll find a different one that consistently provides you, in your particular razor, with even more shaves per blade.

183 12,002
 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
i always use my slim for 3 passes. set on 6, 6, then 5 for ATG.

works every time.

i love the adjustable razors. too bad Muhle and EJ don't make one.

8 2,718
 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 07:45 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I'm glad the blade is working well for you. As Brian suggests, you may be able to get more than 5 shaves with it. And if you keep experimenting with other blades, it's not unlikely that you'll find a different one that consistently provides you, in your particular razor, with even more shaves per blade.

It will be interesting to see how dialing the razor up increases the number of smooth, close shaves.

(06-27-2012, 07:45 PM)brucered Wrote: i always use my slim for 3 passes. set on 6, 6, then 5 for ATG.

works every time.

i love the adjustable razors. too bad Muhle and EJ don't make one.

I agree. The next adjustable I'll probably get is the Merkur Progress although I hate the looks of the plastic knob. Maybe EJ will eventually see the light. I'd love to have an adjustable from them with all that bright flashy chrome. Biggrin

0 396
 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
My slim is a top performer for me everytime, if i could only have one razor for the rest of my life it would certainly be one of the three i would choose,... cause i need more then one cmon thats not fair lol, fromt he first time i picked it up it just agreed with me, the weight and adjustments make for a great shave

btw +1 to keep pushing the blade will you get at least one weeper, or it feels wrong i got a sample from Dave (now the other dave, the dave dave) os an IS thats on its 6th shave and im not done with it yet !

3 748
 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 08:16 PM)syngent Wrote: My slim is a top performer for me everytime, if i could only have one razor for the rest of my life it would certainly be one of the three i would choose,... cause i need more then one cmon thats not fair lol, fromt he first time i picked it up it just agreed with me, the weight and adjustments make for a great shave

btw +1 to keep pushing the blade will you get at least one weeper, or it feels wrong i got a sample from Dave (now the other dave, the dave dave) os an IS thats on its 6th shave and im not done with it yet !

Man, if I could get 7 shaves out of a blade my current supply would last me over 2 years. 2 years for $19.95 as opposed to $25.00 for 10 cartridges. This kind of shaving soon pays for itself.

0 396
 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
see thats what you tell yourself, so if Im saving so much then i can get another soap, or another razor... ive been good maybe both, omg look at that brush i can afford that now,.... it all sounds the same its just a matter of time UD just a matter of time lol

3 748
 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-27-2012, 08:22 PM)syngent Wrote: see thats what you tell yourself, so if Im saving so much then i can get another soap, or another razor... ive been good maybe both, omg look at that brush i can afford that now,.... it all sounds the same its just a matter of time UD just a matter of time lol

I know. I've already got my eye on a few things. Biggrin

0 396
 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(06-27-2012, 08:24 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 08:22 PM)syngent Wrote: see thats what you tell yourself, so if Im saving so much then i can get another soap, or another razor... ive been good maybe both, omg look at that brush i can afford that now,.... it all sounds the same its just a matter of time UD just a matter of time lol

I know. I've already got my eye on a few things. Biggrin

well saving money is fun whilst it lasts that week !

3 748
 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
(06-27-2012, 07:43 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 07:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: UD, no increased weepers, tugging or anything? If that's the case, keep going. Until you get any of that or a dramatic decrease in shave efficiency. Jusy keep going. You'll know when the blade has had enough. If you're using the Slim on 7, you can go for the gold...set it to magical 9 and never touch the adjustment dial again. Except to make sure it still works, and then to put it back on 9.

OK. I'll give it a try. I jumped from 5 to 7 a week or so ago and got some bad irritation so I dialed it back to 6 and all went well. Today I went back to 7 since the blade was a bit duller. I'll try 9 tomorrow. I'll just have to remember to be careful, careful, careful!

Yes absolutely! Don't go into it blind! Don't be afraid to change blades during the shave if it's the pits either.

I have no idea how that blade will work for you and I didn't look into the documentation to see how it worked for me.

My best blades get used set on 9 and end up there or higher if I use them in the R41.

32 6,308
 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
I have two adjustables and love them both.

0 197
 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
I quite enjoy my fatboy. I had a slim before but didn't like the weight/balance of it. I find myself going something like 7/5/3/1 for my passes, using the 1 for getting any stubborn spots.

11 183
 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
OK. I took ShadowsDad's advice and set my Slim Adjustable on 9 today. Today was the 5th shave from a SuperMax Super Platinum. It was BBS just like the previous 4. The shave was also still comfortable. I will try again tomorrow. I'll retire the blade when I get only a DFS.

This blade and my Slim are the best combination I have found so far.

0 396
 06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I love my adjustables. It took me about three weeks to work up from 5 to 9. But once I got to 9 I have not changed is since. Cool

0 539
 06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I am using a Progress and Futur and love them both. There are a lot of options with an adjustable that you don't get the a regular DE. You dial high and then low as you go through your passes. For me this results in a BBS all the time.

100 12,436
 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM
User Info
65 slim is all I have used for the past 3 years, went through many many quality razors and none could math the close smooth shave of a slim for me, so I went on a hunt and have 4 in waiting now, one for home one for travel and two for back-ups, oddly 65 slims were hard to find on the bay.

0 86
 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think after reading this thread, I probably need to try a Progress again.

116 3,804