09-18-2015, 06:09 PM
User Info
I bought 30 Feather DE blades back when I started shaving with a DE about 8 months ago and only used two packs before deciding they were far too aggressive or sharp and not too friendly on my face as a result. The last time I tried one was about two or three months ago in my R41 which turned out to be a very bad decision. Recently I started thinking that maybe the reason I didn't like them with my DE89 early on was because I was still learning how to shave with a DE razor. Well that proved to be the case. Last night I loaded one up in my DE89 and had one of he smoothest and most enjoyable shaves in a long time. I didn't have a single cut or weeper to speak of and my skin was baby smooth at the end. I think I found my new blade for the DE89 but unfortunately it might be a little late since I have a Standard Razors razor on the way that I hope can become my every day razor. I will try a Feather in it after I get used to it if I don't find it overly aggressive and if not then the DE89 will have to remain in my rotation because I enjoyed that shave too much to not experience it more.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 07:22 PM
User Info
Feathers are one of my favorites. I didn't try them until I was a little more experienced because of their reputation for being deadly sharp. They are sharp for sure, but I think my coarse beard likes sharp blades.

0 1,099
 09-18-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 07:22 PM)Shannon Wrote: Feathers are one of my favorites.  I didn't try them until I was a little more experienced because of their reputation for being deadly sharp.  They are sharp for sure, but I think my coarse beard likes sharp blades.
My beard likes sharp blades too but my skin doesn't unless the razor is mild. Sometimes I think it is best to just use a mild razor and do more passes since I can still get a BBS but then there are those times when I am short on time and wish I could do fewer passes. I would rather do 2 passes and a cleanup than 3 or 4 like I have to do with my EJ, but with the Feather I am able to do 2 passes, just don't get a BBS but close enough for me.

By the way, I also bought one of your wife's soaps in the BST with the Tim's Soap and look forward to trying it next.

13 947
 09-18-2015, 07:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-18-2015, 06:09 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I bought 30 Feather DE blades back when I started shaving with a DE about 8 months ago and only used two packs before deciding they were far too aggressive or sharp and not too friendly on my face as a result. The last time I tried one was about two or three months ago in my R41 which turned out to be a very bad decision. Recently I started thinking that maybe the reason I didn't like them with my DE89 early on was because I was still learning how to shave with a DE razor. Well that proved to be the case. Last night I loaded one up in my DE89 and had one of he smoothest and most enjoyable shaves in a long time. I didn't have a single cut or weeper to speak of and my skin was baby smooth at the end. I think I found my new blade for the DE89 but unfortunately it might be a little late since I have a Standard Razors razor on the way that I hope can become my every day razor. I will try a Feather in it after I get used to it if I don't find it overly aggressive and if not then the DE89 will have to remain in my rotation because I enjoyed that shave too much to not experience it more.

The KAI blades may (or may not, depending upon whom you listen to) be as sharp as the Feathers, but there is little disagreement about the assessment that the Feathers and the KAIs are one-two or two-one in sharpness.  The KAI blades are, however, smoother than the Feathers are, and — because the holes in the KAI blades that fit over the posts of the razor head are a smidgen smaller than the holes in any other razor blades and therefore fit more snugly — the KAI blades have a bit less play than other blades do when the razor is running across your face (which may be the reason that the KAIs are judged to be smoother than Feathers).  From personal experience, I can attest that KAI blades are a good match for a Standard Razors razor.

1 1,110
 09-18-2015, 08:00 PM
User Info
(09-18-2015, 07:32 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 06:09 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I bought 30 Feather DE blades back when I started shaving with a DE about 8 months ago and only used two packs before deciding they were far too aggressive or sharp and not too friendly on my face as a result. The last time I tried one was about two or three months ago in my R41 which turned out to be a very bad decision. Recently I started thinking that maybe the reason I didn't like them with my DE89 early on was because I was still learning how to shave with a DE razor. Well that proved to be the case. Last night I loaded one up in my DE89 and had one of he smoothest and most enjoyable shaves in a long time. I didn't have a single cut or weeper to speak of and my skin was baby smooth at the end. I think I found my new blade for the DE89 but unfortunately it might be a little late since I have a Standard Razors razor on the way that I hope can become my every day razor. I will try a Feather in it after I get used to it if I don't find it overly aggressive and if not then the DE89 will have to remain in my rotation because I enjoyed that shave too much to not experience it more.

The KAI blades may (or may not, depending upon whom you listen to) be as sharp as the Feathers, but there is little disagreement about the assessment that the Feathers and the KAIs are one-two or two-one in sharpness.  The KAI blades are, however, smoother than the Feathers are, and — because the holes in the KAI blades that fit over the posts of the razor head are a smidgen smaller than the holes in any other razor blades and therefore fit more snugly — the KAI blades have a bit less play than other blades do when the razor is running across your face (which may be the reason that the KAIs are judged to be smoother than Feathers).  From personal experience, I can attest that KAI blades are a good match for a Standard Razors razor.

Glad to hear your experience with Kai blades Mel. I have been wanting to try them and since you can attest to them in the Standard Razors razor I will go ahead and order some from Connaught. They're expensive but sounds like they may be worth it. I hadn't heard about the holes being smaller either so thank you for that.

13 947
 09-23-2015, 01:29 AM
User Info
kai are great but so expensive imo. for me feather is a 2 use max blade. i personally do not find them as sharp as feather. what other blades have you used?

16 660
 09-23-2015, 02:33 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-23-2015, 01:29 AM)mastershake Wrote: kai are great but so expensive imo. for me feather is a 2 use max blade. i personally do not find them as sharp as feather. what other blades have you used?

As the thread in the Soaps & Creams subforum on good “inexpensive” soap reveals, each of us has a unique tolerance level for expense.  I am currently on the third blade of a five-blade tuck of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades that cost all of $1.00 for the tuck; that works out to $0.20/blade, and therefore (as I viewed it) buying a tuck of the Rapiras to try them out was no-risk propsition.  I purchase KAI blades for $20.00 for 50 blades, which works out to $0.40 per blade, exactly twice the price per blade of the Rapiras.  I get a minimum of six shaves per KAI, and a maximum of six shaves per Rapira Swedish Supersteel, but usually (if “usually” is apt after having used only two Rapira blades till they got dull) toss either kind of blade after the sixth shave.  Both the Rapira and the KAI are made from harder grades of stainless than the Feathers are reputed to comprise:  your comment about the Feather being a two-shave blade for you seems to confirm the latter.

But, considering that I do not carry a DE razor with me when I travel by air, 50 KAI blades at six+ shaves per blade — 300 plus shaves — is effectively a year’s supply of DE blades.  So a year of KAI blades costs me $20, whereas if I used only Rapiras, my cost for a year’s supply of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades would be $10.  For me, a $10/year difference is inconsequential.  (The other blades with which I have useful experience — about two dozen blades each — are Gillette Silver Blue and (Wizamet packaged) Iridium Super, both of which are more expensive per blade than the Rapira Swedish Supersteel but less expensive per blade than the KAI.)

1 1,110
 09-23-2015, 05:18 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I think it is a matter of having your DE shaving technique dialed in for someone to appreciate a sharp blade like a Feather. Learning to get a good shave with a SR helped me the most in learning the importance of little/no pressure on the blade and finding the correct blade angle. My preference in a DE is now for aggressive ones with a sharp blade or I do not get a long lasting BBS shave. 

Bob

0 1,694
 09-23-2015, 07:52 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I too really like Feather and probably use them more than any other blade.

I do keep Kai around too but to be honest, don't like their performance nearly as much as Feather. More tugging and just not suited to my style. Throw them in a razor once a month or so.

Look forward to your thoughts when you get some for the Standard!

2 1,180
 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM
User Info
After hesitating for a very long time because of the number of Fear the Feather posts I had seen, I finally tried a Feather in my AS-D2 and was very pleased at how good a combination they were. Very close shave and no irritation (or blood) at all - equivalent to any of PolSilver, Perma-Sharp or Gillette Nacet (all with a shim) in that razor and I get 4 shaves out of them. Only Nacets give me 5 shaves.

10 96
 11-10-2015, 06:58 PM
User Info
Feathers are ... not my cup of tea. 
Occasionally I entertain the thought of picking one from the tucks I have laying around somewhere. Then I feel more like experimenting with soaps or a razor I haven't used recently. Someday ...

8 1,210
 11-11-2015, 10:44 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I use a super mild razor and I love feathers in it. I get great shaves with them and no razor burn or visible irritation, but I can "feel" that I used a Feather all day. Strange but true.

0 360
 11-11-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
(11-11-2015, 10:44 AM)naiyor Wrote: I use a super mild razor and I love feathers in it. I get great shaves with them and no razor burn or visible irritation, but I can "feel" that I used a Feather all day. Strange but true.

I'm curious about what you mean that you can "feel" that you've used a Feather blade all day, especially if there's no razor burn or visible irritation.

10 96
 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I never could get more than one shave with a Feather and an uncomfortable one at that.

7 2,361
 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Nothing visible... just an almost scratchy, slightly tingly feeling. Feels sensitive to cold or wind. Told you it was strange.

0 360
 02-13-2016, 10:39 PM
User Info
(11-11-2015, 10:44 AM)naiyor Wrote: I use a super mild razor and I love feathers in it. I get great shaves with them and no razor burn or visible irritation, but I can "feel" that I used a Feather all day. Strange but true.

This is what a Feather does to me also.

1 456
 02-21-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
One thing I can say about a Feather blade, it teaches to get your technique down faster than other blades.

0 51
 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
Just *thinking* about an R41 loaded with a feather made a little bit of pee come out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

51 423