06-06-2016, 02:15 PM
User Info
I'm really excited! Looking forward to seeing the new Mega Smile.

25 463
 06-06-2016, 04:56 PM
User Info
Thanks Aldo!  The Beehive is my Varlet missing link Biggrin

61 3,796
 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
I'm hoping to be able to get a Varlet this year.  Fingers crossed.

10 870
 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
Same here. Put my name in early Sept for a beehive!

101 1,820
 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
(06-13-2016, 11:58 AM)Ram57 Wrote: Same here. Put my name in early Sept for a beehive!

I'm in a similar situation.  I got on the list for a Ranger in September, and I'm looking forward to its arrival.

39 3,957
 06-13-2016, 07:22 PM
User Info
I signed up sometime last year for a Ranger, have no idea where I am on the waiting list, and have actually forgotten about it. In the meanwhile my interests have changed and I'll probably let the brush slide this time around.

23 1,741
 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM
User Info
(06-13-2016, 07:22 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I signed up sometime last year for a Ranger, have no idea where I am on the waiting list, and have actually forgotten about it. In the meanwhile my interests have changed and I'll probably let the brush slide this time around.

I'm always available via email at thevarlet.com/contact. Nevertheless, I appreciate your comment.

2 83
 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
Any updates? Been on the wait list since 9/15 for beehive and haven't been contacted?

101 1,820
 01-29-2017, 12:37 PM
User Info
I don't wish to leave my June post hanging. I dropped off the list, had a change of heart, and Aldo was more than kind to reconsider me for one of his future releases. I'm very pleased to do business with him as I consider him one of the top artisans around.

23 1,741
 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-03-2016, 12:26 PM)The Varlet Wrote: I'll have some Beehives and Megas ready by next Friday. Yes, the revamped Mega is ready and I'm really happy with it. I will post details next week.

Everyone's patience is truly appreciated; I'm fortunate to have such a considerate customer base as there have been many delays and inaccurate time-frames on my part. This is a community of gentlemen, no doubt. 

As I've said, I'm committed to fulfilling the entire reserve list by the end of summer 2016 and I'll work very hard to get it done.

Is there an amended ETA? It isn't as if I am about to run out of brushes but...I have been on the Ranger list since November of 2015 and summer of 2016 is the last estimate that I could find for a completion date. Some people have been receiving Rangers with the new alpine knots but I still have no idea where I stand on the list.

45 17,034
 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM
User Info
(01-29-2017, 12:43 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 12:26 PM)The Varlet Wrote: I'll have some Beehives and Megas ready by next Friday. Yes, the revamped Mega is ready and I'm really happy with it. I will post details next week.

Everyone's patience is truly appreciated; I'm fortunate to have such a considerate customer base as there have been many delays and inaccurate time-frames on my part. This is a community of gentlemen, no doubt. 

As I've said, I'm committed to fulfilling the entire reserve list by the end of summer 2016 and I'll work very hard to get it done.

Is there an amended ETA? It isn't as if I am about to run out of brushes but...I have been on the Ranger list since November of 2015 and summer of 2016 is the last estimate that I could find for a completion date. Some people have been receiving Rangers with the new alpine knots but I still have no idea where I stand on the list.

There was one Ranger that was a one-off 29mm that went to a gentleman who purchased an Alpine trial knot. Other than that no Rangers have gone out. He had been on the waitlist for a Ranger and we just killed two birds with one stone so to speak.

I have made some posts subsequent to the one you have referenced above communicating my production difficulties during summer 2016 and I am pretty sure I outlined how crushing it was for me to not be able to meet these production timelines that I had committed to. I don't think I can apologize any more than I already have.

At this point I don't think I can give a definitive time-frame to anyone on the list. After a year and a half I've come to realize that I just can't do that with any sort of accuracy yet due to the nature of the construction of these brushes and the fact that production time can be drawn out for many reasons. I know that is not an ideal way to conduct business but I have no recourse at this point. I have fallen short miserably with regards to delivering these brushes in a timely fashion but I can honestly say that every brush I have shipped has met my stringent standards. That is one promise that I have never fallen short on. 

I am sure many shavers have a multitude of brushes on their shelves that go unused for one reason or another. Too dense, not dense enough, scritchy tips, cracked/broken handle, I could go on and on. When you add up all the money spent on less than stellar brushes it doesn't seem too bad waiting a little longer for a product that will fulfill its promise. I've been shipping brushes since July 2015 and we're barely into 2017. That's not a very long time. 

Considering what I'm offering to the shaving community, and more importantly a very strong potential to offer on a large scale and readily available, is pretty remarkable in so many regards. Consistent knot density, no glue bumps, symmetrical knots, accurate knot lofts, unbreakable handles, I mean I could go on and on.

To deliver all of this, made in the USA, and deliver it consistently and with accurate time-frames will take some doing. I think I've been more than gracious with the entire shaving community and I know I have made some grave mistakes but at this point I am going to have to ask for a little patience from some of the folks that are getting restless. As I've stated in The Varlet's "Purpose" section of the website... "What can we do when an industry has been lost? We can re-create it. The Varlet is a step in that direction."

2 83
 02-04-2017, 11:38 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Well said Aldo!
I've been on the waiting list for an Orion since last year (I think I'm #3?) but I have no problems waiting patiently for perfection.
Don't get discouraged.  Keep up the fine work sir!

46 1,824
 02-05-2017, 12:42 AM
User Info
I've been told I was next batch up since summer 2016 for a beehive, then I saw others receive beehives after. I've lost a bit of faith to be honest but I wish Aldo well in his ventures

22 639
 02-05-2017, 08:28 AM
User Info
(02-05-2017, 12:42 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I've been told I was next batch up since summer 2016 for a beehive, then I saw others receive beehives after. I've lost a bit of faith to be honest but I wish Aldo well in his ventures

Beehives have not been going out due to the intricate nature if the handle's beads which are extremely difficult to turn and polish. I have been working on techniques and tooling to be able to consistently turn these and get exceptional results. This takes time. The alternative is I ship Beehives that have less than stellar looking details and you end up with a brush you don't like after waiting for months. There's no point in me shipping a beehive that doesn't set itself apart from the others available for sale. 

Apparent discrepancies can arise for many reasons, one example is in your case in which you had switched your request to a Beehive after originally wanting an Orion. The Orion that was ready for you went to someone else, you went on the beehive list and everything gets shifted. 

The only requests that get priority are members of the military and that has only happened a couple of times and I was glad and proud to do it. I will make a one-off brush or a knot for someone on a very rare case but that is at my discretion. Sometimes I will have prototypes that can be sold and choose to do so if it will aid me in product development. The dark butterscotch K2 I made recently is an example. 

I know the overwhelming majority of those on the list understand and are supportive and I immensely appreciate it.

2 83
 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
Thank you Aldo for taking time away from production to ease our troubled minds. As long as I know that you are still working off the waitlist I'm good. I've been on the Ranger waitlist same time as Bullgoose, not a problem, I've got lots of toys to play with. My preference for knot has changed now to a larger 28mm now that you are offering. Cheers!

~Royce

4 359
 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-05-2017, 08:28 AM)The Varlet Wrote: ...I know the overwhelming majority of those on the list understand and are supportive and I immensely appreciate it.

Count me as one of those people. A sole proprietorship that makes everything by hand--and is learning and constantly having to make unforeseen adjustments along the way--deserves a lot of slack. As has been noted, we're not talking about the cure for cancer here. I'll be plenty happy when I eventually receive my brush.

56 806
 02-05-2017, 05:13 PM
User Info
(02-05-2017, 08:28 AM)The Varlet Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 12:42 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I've been told I was next batch up since summer 2016 for a beehive, then I saw others receive beehives after. I've lost a bit of faith to be honest but I wish Aldo well in his ventures

Beehives have not been going out due to the intricate nature if the handle's beads which are extremely difficult to turn and polish. I have been working on techniques and tooling to be able to consistently turn these and get exceptional results. This takes time. The alternative is I ship Beehives that have less than stellar looking details and you end up with a brush you don't like after waiting for months. There's no point in me shipping a beehive that doesn't set itself apart from the others available for sale. 

Apparent discrepancies can arise for many reasons, one example is in your case in which you had switched your request to a Beehive after originally wanting an Orion. The Orion that was ready for you went to someone else, you went on the beehive list and everything gets shifted. 

The only requests that get priority are members of the military and that has only happened a couple of times and I was glad and proud to do it. I will make a one-off brush or a knot for someone on a very rare case but that is at my discretion. Sometimes I will have prototypes that can be sold and choose to do so if it will aid me in product development. The dark butterscotch K2 I made recently is an example. 

I know the overwhelming majority of those on the list understand and are supportive and I immensely appreciate it.

Aldo I don't doubt that one bit, and I will patiently wait my turn. I give you credit for the product you are putting out and the effort your putting in to make your product the best in this hobby. I will still be extremely happy when my turn comes up and I'm sure once I use your perfected product you'll have a customer for life.

Just some frustration in the meantime but I understand the process you are going through as a budding entreprenuer.

22 639
 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM
User Info
No problem gentlemen, I fully understand the frustration and I'm just trying to provide a little perspective, which helps me tremendously as well when delays arise in the shop. The bane of my existence has to be the Alumilite which has been so finicky it's unbelievable. It's worth the effort though. 

Hopefully very soon I'll have these little details worked out and can produce at a more steady pace. There's just a bit of a hump I have to clear until then.

2 83
 02-06-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
[quote pid='774863' dateline='1486284163']
[/quote]

I understand your pain Aldo. Beehives are so beautiful when they're done, but turning them is a chore!

38 198
 03-08-2017, 02:30 AM
User Info
(02-05-2017, 08:28 AM)The Varlet Wrote:

Hey I don't mean to cause a stir but I was told in April of 16 that I should be getting one in the next couple weeks. I still haven't heard anything but I am active duty if it helps Smile you have no idea how excited I was last year when I thought I was about to get one! If you could message me that would be great

Thanks Dustin

1 99