09-19-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I was able to score a new MdC fern from a very nice member here which I have been wanting to try for a long time.  Alays wanted to try original but it was described as lavender and I am not a hge lavender fan for that price and I don't like unscented soaps.
I am sure many people have posted about this as well but all I can say is wow. I could use this everyday forthe rest of my life and be happy. The scent is amazing. Performance well the soap starting lathering only just by me thinking about it and after that i cocouldn't stop it if I wanted to. And I didn't really load nearly as much product as I do with otheother soaps. For the shashave I want with a 34c and a fresh lab blue. After I was funused with my 3 passes I didnt want to ruin with an aftershave scent and contemplating no as. Instead I want with a light Nivea sensitive balm. 
I was initially wondering ifthis was going to be just a very good soap wth a good marketing team to get the price up so high but after trying it I can definitely say that I will always have it in my bathrown from nnow on. 
P.s.  ppost shave is great too!

90 904
 09-19-2015, 07:47 AM
User Info
Some find the post shave to be drying.  I wouldn't say that it's more drying then other soaps, but definitely not has hydrating as some other soaps such as Mystic Waters...

The greatest thing about MdC is that a little goes a LONG way.  Apparently they cure the soap longer then most which results in a super dense super packed soap that seems to load itself.

It's definitely one of my go-tos... Perhaps only surpassed by SV in terms of hard soaps...

18 655
 09-19-2015, 08:00 AM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 07:47 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: Some find the post shave to be drying.  I wouldn't say that it's more drying then other soaps, but definitely not has hydrating as some other soaps such as Mystic Waters...

The greatest thing about MdC is that a little goes a LONG way.  Apparently they cure the soap longer then most which results in a super dense super packed soap that seems to load itself.

It's definitely one of my go-tos... Perhaps only surpassed by SV in terms of hard soaps...

Agree completely - great stuff.  Not as moisturizing as some soaps, but not drying as long as you hydrate sufficiently.  I find MdC (like many veggie soaps) does so much better if you keep adding water past the point where you have a good lather, i.e. it just keeps getting better.

Oh, and while the original scent has some lavender in it, I wouldn't call it dominate by any means - different and more complex than my pure lavender soaps.  In short, its a marvelous scent and suggest you try it some time.

54 1,214
 09-19-2015, 08:48 AM
User Info
Correct that it is not as moisturizing as the most post shave moisture soaps but I don't find it really drying per se

90 904
 09-19-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
I really only ever noticed the drying effect during the winter months. I don't find any soaps drying during the summers in New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,321
 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I am with the others... I have read reports of it drying post shave however with whatever combination of ph, water, etc. that I have I have never noticed this to be the case for me personally. Nor with WSP soaps which use a MdC inspired formula. Great stuff!

2 1,180
 09-19-2015, 10:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have the original and love it but I have always want to try the fern scent.  Maybe someday I will have the chance.

179 23,945
 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 10:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have the original and love it but I have always want to try the fern scent.  Maybe someday I will have the chance.
It's a very nice scent. Mild, fresh, citrus tones to my nose. Not synthetic or overpowering and quite classy.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 09-19-2015, 12:00 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 11:04 AM)Bruce Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 10:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have the original and love it but I have always want to try the fern scent.  Maybe someday I will have the chance.
It's a very nice scent.  Mild, fresh, citrus tones to my nose.  Not synthetic or overpowering and quite classy.

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

Yes!  It actually mde me feel a little classy as I was shaving.

90 904
 09-19-2015, 12:23 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
You are right that a little goes a long way and that it just needs to be around a brush and water to create lather. The original scent isn't pure lavender. It has a lavender herb type scent that French soaps have. Very similar to  CRSW Savon 1. I prefer the Fougere. And while it is expensive, its mostly the shipping cost that drives the price up. I believe its at $44 for 200gram jar right now. Very close to other top soaps (Valobra hard, LPL). Heck even the current formulation of AOS refill soaps sell for $30.  But then you have to add $20 for shipping for MdC. Thats what hurts.

77 1,395
 09-19-2015, 01:03 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Very enjoyable soap.  I used it daily and the jar lasted over a year.  Enjoy and you are lucky to use the scented version, I was allergic so I used the unscented but the scented smelled wonderful.

2 479
 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
as others said the original does not really smell like lavender at all. imo it is almost similar to the fougere just a lighter version scent wise. they both have the same base scent at least to me, but the fougere adds the fern on the top of the scent base. i did not at all think i would like the original but i do. the only thing about the fougere is honestly i wish the scent was stronger. to me its a very lightly scented soap i have an old one and compared it to the new one i just got and they are similar with the old one actually having just a bit more scent.

16 660
 09-19-2015, 04:55 PM
User Info
I like the scent of the MdC original and fougere but not enough to justify its price and I find the performance to be just quite ok. No sense in paying for it when I can buy (the also French made) Provence Sante which smells even better, outperforms it, has a far superior post-shave, and costs 1/3 the price of MdC per use.
It's nice that you like it but if you spend a little more time on these boards you will find that many people rave about a soap and even write a glowing review after just one use, only to do a 180 and sell the soap off on the BST.

18 713
 09-19-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 04:55 PM)fram773 Wrote: I like the scent of the MdC original and fougere but not enough to justify its price and I find the performance to be just quite ok. No sense in paying for it when I can buy (the also French made) Provence Sante which smells even better, outperforms it, has a far superior post-shave, and costs 1/3 the price of MdC per use.
It's nice that you like it but if you spend a little more time on these boards you will find that many people rave about a soap and even write a glowing review after just one use, only to do a 180 and sell the soap off on the BST.

YMMV my friend. I will tell you though that unless I develop some sort of reaction to the soap (which I haven't at least today) I'm not sselling the soap.

90 904
 09-19-2015, 06:08 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info

You will not regret it!

113 1,548
 09-19-2015, 06:25 PM
User Info
Been using the original since January, I used it about 120 times. Very classy scent, light lavender with rosemary and mint. Smells very natural, not artificial like most artisan soaps I've tried.
Post shave is the best of all soaps I tried, specifically better during summer month.. I normally don't use an aftershave with it during the summer
Really enjoy it, for the longest time it was my number one soap till XPEC came along Smile
Yea it's not cheap but it lasts a really long time, lathers immediately, loads in exactly 7-8 seconds vs a whole minute for other soaps.. IMO, one of the best.. Top 5!

14 482
 09-20-2015, 07:33 AM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 06:25 PM)1SOAP Wrote: Been using the original since January, I used it about 120 times. Very classy scent, light lavender with rosemary and mint. Smells very natural, not artificial like most artisan soaps I've tried.
Post shave is the best of all soaps I tried, specifically better during summer month.. I normally don't use an aftershave with it during the summer
Really enjoy it, for the longest time it was my number one soap till XPEC came along Smile
Yea it's not cheap but it lasts a really long time, lathers immediately, loads in exactly 7-8 seconds vs a whole minute for other soaps.. IMO, one of the best.. Top 5!

XPEC is also in my to try list. But I am on a no buy  ssabatical until 1/1/2016

90 904
 09-20-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
If you like it now buy one and put it away for a few years to age. IMO it becomes better, as does the original. As the original ages the rosemary becomes less pronounced and that's what contributes to the hot tar smell that at least one gent has described.

BTW, the name of the original is "Mestre" . A Google search tells me that it means the head of a craft or trade guild.

32 6,471
 09-20-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 07:33 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 06:25 PM)1SOAP Wrote: Been using the original since January, I used it about 120 times. Very classy scent, light lavender with rosemary and mint. Smells very natural, not artificial like most artisan soaps I've tried.

XPEC is also in my to try list. But I am on a no buy  ssabatical until 1/1/2016

Must try it, excellent performer just like MDC, only advantage I find over MDC is slickness.. Way more slicker IMO however however MDC leaves my skin more moist, a lot more. though different scent I would put it in the same category... Very unique and manly.
Side note- according to my trials MDC uses half the product XPEC uses for a 3pass shave. Not that it should matter! One thing for sure I will always have bothy in my den.

(09-20-2015, 07:41 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: If you like it now buy one and put it away for a few years to age. IMO it becomes better, as does the original. As the original ages the rosemary becomes less pronounced and that's what contributes to the hot tar smell that at least one gent has described.

BTW, the name of the original is "Mestre" . A Google search tells me that it means the head of a craft or trade guild.

Smart idea Sir! I stock up on these things when I find a good deal. I am not sure about soaps but I think creams have expiration dates, I know my tub of XPEC expires some time in 2019! Needless to say it should be done way before that Smile

14 482
 09-20-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
I ws also a huge fan of MDC.

Not quite so much more.

Slightly better products have surpassed MDC in my den - Xpec, Saponifico Varesino, Barrister & Mann (yes, I really enjoy this soap highly now), Cold River Soap Works, Meissner Tremonia, Tabula Rasa, Czech & Speak/Valobra Triple Milled, Klar Seifen, Haslinger, Castle Forbes, Antica Barbierra Colla, Boellis Panama 1942 & even the TFS made Mondial soaps are IMHO slightly better products.

I still love and enjoy my two glass pots of MDC, Fougere and Original and probably will never be without them - but I feel a slight drying skinfeel after my shave. And the lather is not the naturally thickest and most protecting I have tried. 

BUT with all that said - MDC is still a great soap - absolutely among my Top 20 soaps in my den, I persoannlly love the Original scent a bit more than the Fougere, but both scents are unique and great in their own rights.

I would rank MDC soap, both versions a solid 9/10.

I gave MDC a 10/10 last year in December, I believe - but now for me it's 'only' a 9/10

24 6,021