09-19-2015, 10:49 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I know another thread discusses the Vie-Long Epsilon brushes, but the responses from the owners have lacked specifics — for me, anyway. So forgive me for starting this thread. For those of you who use these brushes, kindly answer the following questions. Please be specific.

1.  Obviously, the two-band and the three-band will be different: more backbone, less backbone, and so on. Specifically, how different are these two brushes in that respect?

2.  Address the density of the knots in the two types.

3.  A little "scritch" I don't mind, but too much of it destroys my Hollywood face. I dislike the Simpson "best" badger, and the shavemac DO1 sent me howling like a drunken swami. If possible, please describe the level of scritch in the two-band and the three-band brushes.

4.  Since I face lather these days, I am considering the two-band with the 27mm knot and 50mm loft.

Thank you, gentlemen.

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Thanks for starting the thread Obie. I want to see more thoughts shared on the 3 band.

79 1,338
 09-19-2015, 11:57 AM
User Info
Obie, these are excellent offerings by vie long

I have a silvertip and 2 band in 27 x 50, both are very nice

1) silvertip

The silvertip has the softest tips of any brush I have used, very luxurious. It's a very dense brush and set at the lower loft along with the bulb shape offers plenty of backbone for face lathering. For your Hollywood face, this is the one I would recommend.

2) the 2 band is equal in density but has a bit more spring and backbone. Upon first use it had some scritch similar to maybe Simpson's best badger but obviously performed much differently. I've now used it in the 3-5 time range and the scritch has nearly disapeared, there's a hint left. The knot quality is quite phenominal, this is a fat bulb without the pointiness some may experience with a thater 2 band bulb. The tips are getting softer and softer. You have to look quite diligently in order to find dark hairs, or upside down hairs etc. Hair seems finer than Simpson Manchurian, denser as well. There is still a hint of scritch here but nothing like a d01 knot

In summary I'm not sure which one I enjoy more or would recommend. They complement each other quite well. If youre craving that uber soft knot then you reach for the silvertip, if your craving a little more backbone and spring to the knot then you reach for the 2 band

Lastly the smell was horrific, the 2 band smelt like dirty badger and the Silvertip had more of a chemical smell

28 779
 09-19-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
I'll be doing some den clearing soon and initially I was planning to keep whichever I like best, now I'm not sure if I'll be selling either but my PayPal account and den space is telling me I really should

28 779
 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information. This helps enormously in my decision to nod or pass on the Epsilon.

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
Glad to help, what are you thinking?

28 779
 09-19-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 11:57 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Obie, these are excellent offerings by vie long

I have a silvertip and 2 band in 27 x 50, both are very nice

1) silvertip

The silvertip has the softest tips of any brush I have used, very luxurious. It's a very dense brush and set at the lower loft along with the bulb shape offers plenty of backbone for face lathering. For your Hollywood face, this is the one I would recommend.

2) the 2 band is equal in density but has a bit more spring and backbone. Upon first use it had some scritch similar to maybe Simpson's best badger but obviously performed much differently. I've now used it in the 3-5 time range and the scritch has nearly disapeared, there's a hint left. The knot quality is quite phenominal, this is a fat bulb without the pointiness some may experience with a thater 2 band bulb. The tips are getting softer and softer. You have to look quite diligently in order to find dark hairs, or upside down hairs etc. Hair seems finer than Simpson Manchurian, denser as well. There is still a hint of scritch here but nothing like a d01 knot

In summary I'm not sure which one I enjoy more or would recommend. They complement each other quite well. If youre craving that uber soft knot then you reach for the silvertip, if your craving a little more backbone and spring to the knot then you reach for the 2 band

Lastly the smell was horrific, the 2 band smelt like dirty badger and the Silvertip had more of a chemical smell

Glad to see you're enjoying the vie-longs dustin

115 1,005
 09-19-2015, 01:08 PM
User Info
In my opinion Obie after using every brush under the sun the vie longs are very underrated.

There two band offering is very nice and I would rank it in the top 3-4 that I've used but there are better two band knots out there for me.

The three band knots to me are where they really shine, again in my opinion. The knots are densely packed with very soft three band hair. No scritch whatsoever just a beautifully soft knot.

115 1,005
 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM
User Info
I would agree with Safelysimpson on the 3-band Epsilon. I also have a 3-band Epsilon set at 50mm. I think you could get softer with a higher loft 3-band silvertip, but if you want density with the softness, the Epsilon set at 50mm is excellent. If I want a more lofty, larger feeling knot softness, I can switch to an original loft 16510.

It can be hard to quantify the brushes and how they feel, and my preferences at the moment can get in the way. In terms of the hair itself based on dry hand feel / face feel, there aren't many brushes that come close to the sheer soft feeling Vie-long 3-band has. I had a 3-band Shavemac Silvertip that was very soft as well, and I would consider equal to Vie-long, but haven't come across such a soft silvertip since parting with that Shavemac.

I have a 75th Anniversary Vie-long 2-band silvertip, and while not the same, I feel from my experience with a prior 2-band and purchasing this Anniversary brush, the descriptions of a 2-band Epsilon at 50mm is spot on.

23 628
 09-19-2015, 01:11 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Right now I am on the fence. I might just stay with my four: Rooney Heritage Stubby 3, Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian, Simpson Tulip 4 and Thater 28mm two-band silvertip bulb. I have also ordered a Wieborg. So five brushes altogether.

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
Well with that lineup I don't blame you for taking your time. If you do buy one let us know what you think.

115 1,005
 09-19-2015, 01:41 PM
User Info
Just came to me. VP Leonhardy has some dang luxuriously soft 3-band silvertip as well!

23 628
 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(09-19-2015, 01:41 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: Just came to me. VP Leonhardy has some dang luxuriously soft 3-band silvertip as well!

VP Leonhardy? Who is this?

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 02:06 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(09-19-2015, 01:12 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: Well with that lineup I don't blame you for taking your time. If you do buy one let us know what you think.

I will, of course. Thanks for the advice, my friend.

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
They are a German brushmaker.

23 628
 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 10:49 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

I know another thread discusses the Vie-Long Epsilon brushes, but the responses from the owners have lacked specifics — for me, anyway. So forgive me for starting this thread. For those of you who use these brushes, kindly answer the following questions. Please be specific.

1.  Obviously, the two-band and the three-band will be different: more backbone, less backbone, and so on. Specifically, how different are these two brushes in that respect?

2.  Address the density of the knots in the two types.

3.  A little "scritch" I don't mind, but too much of it destroys my Hollywood face. I dislike the Simpson "best" badger, and the shavemac DO1 sent me howling like a drunken swami. If possible, please describe the level of scritch in the two-band and the three-band brushes.

4.  Since I face lather these days, I am considering the two-band with the 27mm knot and 50mm loft.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Epsilon 3-Band is pretty gentle, but still solid in feel and the density could make them feel a bit too dense for your liking.

If you look for softness, try to get the Lord Randall 3-Band 24 mm Vie Long from Bullgoose shaving or just get a Thäter 2-Band or 3-Band and forget about the others.

You could also consider the Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip in a custom knot, Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip is highly underrated, because most buyers only try the standard Shavemacs instead of going custom and really get a brush that suits you, and just you.

IMHO a Vie Long 2-band is not for your Hollywood face. I love them, but they are dense and solid in feel, and even has a bit of scrub to them.

24 5,963
 09-19-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
I would also  like to read about the quality of the handles on these.  The Silvertip and 2-Band share the same handle as the $42.00 horse hair brushes.  Are these handles up to what they should be for a higher priced Silvertip or 2-Band?

50 6,050
 09-19-2015, 02:25 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Thank you for the information, gentlemen.
Claus, I've had all the brushes you mention. All good stuff. Thanks for your suggestions. I especially liked the Lord Randall. These days I opt for the bigger brushes, though, 27mm to 30mm knots and lofts of 50mm to 55mm. The remaining brushes in my humble shave den, the lineup I really like, are all big brushes. The knot on the Tulip 4 is around 25mm, but the brush feels large.

150 3,019
 09-19-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 02:25 PM)Obie Wrote: Thank you for the information, gentlemen.
Claus, I've had all the brushes you mention. All good stuff. Thanks for your suggestions. I especially liked the Lord Randall. These days I opt for the bigger brushes, though, 27mm to 30mm knots and lofts of 50mm to 55mm. The remaining brushes in my humble shave den, the lineup I really like, are all big brushes. The knot on the Tulip 4 is around 25mm, but the brush feels large.

If you like really soft brushes, and brushes larger than 25-26mm in knot size, IMHO you should avoid Epsilon badgers and Vie Long badger brushes.

The Vie Longs 3-bands may have some of the softest tips dry, but when wet they are not so soft anymore. Still very nice gentle brushes, but not ultra soft like Thäters and the likes.

24 5,963
 09-19-2015, 02:49 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Claus, my friend, that is excellent advice. Thank you. I think I'll stick with what I have now, although I have been lusting after a 28mm Thater two-band fan and (I have the bulb) and another Chubby 2 super. Perhaps another Manchurian, although I will have to sell my Lamborghini.

150 3,019