09-19-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
I just completed my first shave with my newly acquired Feather MR3 Neo razor at the hotel I stay in this weekend.

I had 2 days of growth, and definitely needed a shave NOW !

Used a product I know performs quite well, the Mondial Almond hard croap/cream and my new travel brush, the Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip 24 mm knot size in 55 mm loft in bulb (BTW what a great performing brush, backbone yet soft tips)

Started with the MR3 Neo in moveable position - and it did take off some whiskers, so I continued a WTG pass without ANY pressure.
The lather I made with my new Shave,ac 2-Band travel brush was just fine, no reason to blame that at all.

But after I did the first pass WTG, I noticed I still had a LOT of stubbles left.
My Fusion, which I use with either a Plisson Palladium, Edwin Jagger Bulbous or Mühle Carbon handle, would have removed 90% of my whiskers in first WTG pass.
The MR3 Neo removed perhaps 50%, AT BEST  Shok

Especially the area around my chin, the MR3 Neo performed so poorly, that I could not believe it.

I do have quite thick and course beard for a Scandinavian guy, and mild DE razors like the Pils and Feather AS-D2 did not work for me, even after having to figure out the correct angle for 10+ shaves.

Okay, Rome wasn't build in a day, I got ready for second pass.
Got a great stable lather from my Shavemac brush and my Mondial croap.

This time I tried really hard to use my experience and focussed on my chin area to really test what this razor can do.
I started a XTG pass on my chin - wanted to see what this raxor could do.

Shock..... Scared

It almost did NOTHING. Tried a XTG from the other side on my chin. 

Shock..... Scared

At best it removed 2% of the hair, but I could not feel it removed anything.
Looked at the razor cart, the cover was off  Biggrin

The did a ATG the pass on my chin, to see what it can do.
It hardly removed any hair. Perhaps 15-20%
The stubble on my chin is VERY ROUGH and thick, but my Fusion removed 80% of it in a WTG first pass, no trouble.

Okay, now changed the cart to a new MR3 Neo, too see if the old one was a dud.
It wasn't, exact same poor performance.

This made me a bit annoyed to be honest. I now removed the lather and got ready for final third pass ATG.
Created a fine thick full lather. Emptied the brush from the rest of the lather and smurred it on my face.

The MR3 Neo continued to perform horrific, awful..........depressing to be honest.
I started to get flash back from when I used my Feather AS-D1 and Feather AS-D2 DE razors with brand new Feather DE blades in them.

They did not remove any stubble at all, especially my chin caused them to work pretty much like a razor without a blade in it - not kidding you here and not exaggerating here at all.

I now tried to lock the MR3 Neo, so the blade does not follow the skin contours.
It did not change anything unfortunately.

Same dead dull awful performance.
Not cutting any stubbles at all.

Honestly I started to run out of time, because  had to leave - so started to use pressure just to see how awful this MR3 Neo really is.
Got a very bada razor burn from this razor, that reminded me of the burn I got back when I used the Feather AS-D1 and AS-D2 DE razors, because they did not cut stubble on my chin at all, no matter what angle I tried to shave with. NOTHING happened.

I finally was detested and rushed in to get my travel Fusion razor - this one with the original crappy plastic Gillette handle. But I needed to shave, god darn it.

The Gillette Fusion immediately within 2 passes shaved all my stubbles off, and gave me a 95% close to BBS on my chin and entire beard area.

I continued the shave my head with the Fusion, not daring to run out of further time by using the pretty much worhtless Feather Mr3 Neo cart razor.

I will give the razor a couple more chances next week, when I'm not in rush - but I started out having more than 1 full hour for my shave, because I knew I was using new products, so had plenty of time to start with, but with this Feather MR3 Neo razor, just like it cousins the Feather DE razors, I need a full 18 pass shave and 2 hours to come even remotely close to a just a 90% BBS shave - not kidding, not exaggerating, just being 110% honest here.

Anyone else with thick course beard that feel like I do ?

24 5,843
 09-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm perplexed at your experience here, Claus, as mine has been much different.
I too have thick, coarse stubble and although the NEO MR3 doesn't give me nearly as good a shave as my usual DE/SE, I typically achieve great results with 2 1/2 passes.

102 18,552
 09-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Not here.
Granted I use DE's at home (Stealth/Baby Smooth & Wolfman) but with thick course beard growth the Feather MR3 is the finest cartridge on the market IMO.
Love it for travel as it actually matches my best DE shaves.

42 1,041
 09-19-2015, 11:52 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-19-2015, 11:50 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Not here.
Granted I use DE's at home (Stealth/Baby Smooth & Wolfman) but with thick course beard growth the Feather MR3 is the finest cartridge on the market IMO.
Love it for travel as it actually matches my best DE shaves.

Agreed.

I have a very thick, coarse, fast growing beard and the NEO3 does a great job. By far the best cartridge system I have used.

2 1,180
 09-19-2015, 01:11 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-19-2015, 11:29 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Anyone else with thick course beard that feel like I do ?

When you put the cartridge onto the handle, did you make sure that the blade edges were facing DOWN, toward the handle?

0 1,049
 09-19-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
I have coarse thick facial fair. Never could get a good shave with any cart. My beard used to laugh at the fusion,then people would laugh at me at the little Adolf Hitler mustache I had because the cart just wouldn't cut the whiskers.

3 1,356
 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM
User Info
(09-19-2015, 02:13 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have coarse thick facial fair. Never could get a good shave with any cart. My beard used to laugh at the fusion,then people would laugh at me at the little Adolf Hitler mustache I had because the cart just wouldn't cut the whiskers.

No insult intended but how many days do you go before you shave? if your beard grows that quick and long in length you might need a pair of clippers. I have a coarse beard that grows every which way and I shave every day and I get almost bbs after my atg pass. I go wtg, xtg, atg, and maybe I might have some touchups under my jawline. The MR3 gets em.

Clayton

6 625
 09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
I have to agree with Chevy almost word for word.................Ernie

20 441
 09-20-2015, 12:53 AM
User Info
Been using the MR3 here for a month now......and LOVE it!
And my beard grows like a corn maze!! But I DO shave every day - WTG, XTG, and ATG....
No problems so far!! As close to BBS as I want to go, without fail!!
Don't give up on the MR3! It's a proven cart razor, with MANY loyal users!
Good luck!

Close shaves should SOOTHE ya....NOT SCARE ya!!

0 12
 09-20-2015, 03:36 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 12:53 AM)dassilkshave Wrote: Been using the MR3 here for a month now......and LOVE it!
And my beard grows like a corn maze!! But I DO shave every day - WTG, XTG, and ATG....
Good luck!

How long does a cart last you?. Today will be my 11th shave on my MR3's original cartridge. It's still going strong and it got me totally bbs yesterday. I strop it on a Razorpit after every shave.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

6 625
 09-20-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
I will not give up, guys. Will use it again Monday on 2 days stubble.

24 5,843
 09-20-2015, 07:38 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 06:40 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I will not give up, guys. Will use it again Monday on 2 days stubble.
Hope you have better luck with it tomorrow Claus.

Clayton

6 625
 09-20-2015, 07:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
If you have a thick and coarse beard, why not shave every day? You may be setting yourself up for failure. Just sayin' Confused

46 18,082
 09-20-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 07:44 AM)bullgoose Wrote: If you have a thick and coarse beard, why not shave every day? You may be setting yourself up for failure. Just sayin' Confused

Awesome Smile

61 3,796
 09-20-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 07:44 AM)bullgoose Wrote: If you have a thick and coarse beard, why not shave every day? You may be setting yourself up for failure. Just sayin' Confused

I like to give my skin a rest day, and I enjoy the 24 hour shadow  Biggrin

Besides, the much hated Fusion can remove 2-3 days whiskers, if rinsed 20-25 times during a shave, in 2 passes just fine.

So just wondered what all the buzz with this Feather MR3 Neo was all about.......

24 5,843
 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM
User Info
I think this one of those cases of YMMV Biggrin

61 3,796
 09-20-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
Good luck with the razor for the next few days, Claus.
Now, you've got me quite curious to try it to see if it can handle my wiry, coarse beard as I had the exact same experience as you had with the Feather AS-D1/2. However, I can never get a decent shave with a Fusion or any other cart, really, without having to do so many passes and pressure.   Shy

82 21,056
 09-21-2015, 12:25 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 03:36 AM)chevyguy Wrote:
(09-20-2015, 12:53 AM)dassilkshave Wrote: Been using the MR3 here for a month now......and LOVE it!
Good luck!

How long does a cart last you?. Today will be my 11th shave on my MR3's original cartridge. It's still going strong and it got me totally bbs yesterday. I strop it on a Razorpit after every shave.

Clayton

As of today....I'm on day 8 with my current cart....at this point I'll denim strop it and probably get another 2-3 days out of it before I swap out...
My only other "maintenance" is a thorough rinse after each use with HOT water.....and a spritz or 2 of canned air....
BBS shaves every time......NO KIDDING!!Smile

0 12
 09-22-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
Monday shave.
2 days stubble.

Perfect lather from mdc fougere.

110% sure of correct instalment of blade.

Did 3 passes to really test this razor and give it a fair chance.

As told before I have thick growth for a Scandinavian. What I haven't mentioned is that my stubble are stiff as heck compared to the entire world population.

WTG, XTG & ATG
FINISHED DONE

OK, now the finger test.
Chin area: Full of dark stubbles
Cheek area: A good deal of stubbles.
Neck area: Too much stubble to tell

FAR FROM ACCEPTABLE !

Then decided to do a final full touch up pass.
Went over my chin area ATG 4-5 times, still a good deal of stubbles left. Went over the cheek and neck area 2-3 times more, then it was acceptable.

The Feather MR3 Neo can not remove my stubbles on my chin.
Not even close.

Got the worst razor burn in 5+ years from today's shave.
Had bloody weepers several places.

But wanted a clean shaved face.

Could not tolerate more brush action on face.

Took my can of Proraso canned goo and my Fusion Bolin Web.
Fusion blade used 10 times.
Within 5 minutes I had a BBS.

Conclusion:
Feather MR3 Neo did not make it.  
It failed the test BIG TIME.

I bought 2 handles and 47 carts from Connaught.

They will be sold.

Feather MR3 Neo is the worst cart I have ever used. Bar none.

My rating: 3/10

FAILED !

Not even buffing action and 4 full passes could remove my chin stubbles. It reminds me of the Feather AS-D1/D2

24 5,843
 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Claus.....you my friend get an "A+" for effort....as always.

Don't fight it...FUSION is KING.  You have a marvelous collection of Fusion razors. They are your destiny!

159 1,316