09-20-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
Recently scored a tin of cider house 5 and the stuff is fantastic. I have come to find they aren't really around anymore and have merged with Pheonix accoutrements. I have also seen mention of them being the same as HTGAM. Are they still making soaps with the same formula?

11 195
 09-20-2015, 07:18 AM
User Info
I'm sure the formula is the same. The name changed due to his business ethics and morals, or lack of should I say, ruined the HTGAM/PPF name. The BS ran deep! Some searching will bring it all up. Most of the wet shaving community turned their backs and now refuse to deal with him, including vendors, or purchase his product. Not saying it's not good product and I'm glad you found one you enjoy. Just explaining why the name change since it's part of your question. He chose the new name due to the Phoenix rising from the ashes myth. He thinks he's got it like that. 

Probably wont have to many posts on this that are positive in the PAA shadow.

147 3,458
 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
Ah ok. I did find some of that info after posting the thread. I do like that soap and will still use it of course, but there is too much good soap out there to give what seems like a pretty shady dude further business. I have the PPF and a PAA that I bought second hand.

11 195
 09-20-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
I'll add that I have an old tub of the HTGAM Cavendish and the accompanying AS and they are both excellent products.

39 3,867
 09-20-2015, 10:03 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
Interesting. I have all three. I find them mediocre at best. The scents are, for lack of a better word, nasty. Cheap, cloying, intrusive. The artwork is, well, probably geared towards a target group 1/4th my age. I am 45.

And here's the kicker: I sent these "products" to a friend of mine who is a professional perfumier. He is 100% certain that the oils used in them are cheap fragrance oils. YOMV, of course.

0 197
 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:03 AM)RobinK Wrote: Interesting. I have all three. I find them mediocre at best. The scents are, for lack of a better word, nasty. Cheap, cloying, intrusive. The artwork is, well, probably geared towards a target group 1/4th my age. I am 45.

And here's the kicker: I sent these "products" to a friend of mine who is a professional perfumier. He is 100% certain that the oils used in them are cheap fragrance oils. YOMV, of course.
To each his own.
I will add that I purchased these products fairly soon after my return to DE shaving. I was then, and to a certain extent continue to be less than interested in the Smythe drama or any other shaving drama. I have enough drama in my own life not to adopt someone else's.  Exclamation 
Have I found better soaps? Certainly; but for my face and my shaving requirements, the HTGAM Cavendish works nicely, gives me a good shave and the Cavendish AS finishes it up nicely. 
YMMV...etc. etc.

39 3,867
 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
From what I read and feel free to correct me. PPF was owned by a girl. HTGAM was owned by Doug. They fell in love and made little soap babies called phoenix to make a long story short.

Some people at one time thought Doug was actually the other people. He even interviewed himself and reviewed his own stuff.

I would of had no problems with the guy but he claimed he was CIA or something like that. Just so happens I enjoy exposing fake military veterans as a hobby. Now I had nothing to do with the Douglas Smythe drama but I will not support the guy anymore.

Whch sucks because while I think his soaps are average his aftershave splash is great,I just won't be buying it.

3 1,356
 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:03 AM)RobinK Wrote: Interesting. I have all three. I find them mediocre at best. The scents are, for lack of a better word, nasty. Cheap, cloying, intrusive. The artwork is, well, probably geared towards a target group 1/4th my age. I am 45.

I have only two PAA, Neroli and Coconut Bay. I find them to be good products, not the best, but they perform well. The scents are strong, I don't know if they use cheap fragrance oils, the only thing I know is that I didn't have any irritation or bad shaves with them. That's why I enjoy using them.

Let me tell you that I have no personal interest, I live in Europe, I' m just a satisfied customer.

49 1,937
 09-20-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:14 AM)nikos.a Wrote:

I have only two PAA, Neroli and Coconut Bay. I find them to be good products, not the best, but they perform well. The scents are strong, I don't know if they use cheap fragrance oils, the only thing I know is that I didn't have any irritation or bad shaves with them. That's why I enjoy using them.

Let me tell you that I have no personal interest, I live in Europe, I' m just a satisfied customer.
+1 Nick.

39 3,867
 09-20-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 07:18 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: ... Most of the wet shaving community turned their backs and now refuse to deal with him, including vendors, or purchase his product. ...

You'll find that he still has quite a large (and growing) following as he's easily accessible and relatively inexpensive and carries a wide variety of scents and products.

22 653
 09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
To each their own. I will never tell another man how to spend their money. I do think that people deserve to know what kind of person they are dealing with before they make a purchase. Its a little personal to me I'm not going to lie .

That being said if his actions don't bother you and you enjoy the soaps ,your grown buy what you want and enjoy it.

3 1,356
 09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
I remember there was a decent amount of positive buzz on the forums about these products. I was always turned off by the hipster marketing style, but eventually placed an order for the HTGAM Cavendish, just looking for a good pipe tobacco scent. The day after I placed my order, the drama started unfolding about his ingredients being listed in order of popularity instead of % of product, and I was extremely turned off. Then all of the other shady stuff came out and I was disgusted by the whole thing. I never did lather the tin of Cavendish when it arrived.

38 1,159
 09-20-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:25 AM)shevek Wrote: I remember there was a decent amount of positive buzz on the forums about these products. I was always turned off by the hipster marketing style, but eventually placed an order for the HTGAM Cavendish, just looking for a good pipe tobacco scent. The day after I placed my order, the drama started unfolding about his ingredients being listed in order of popularity instead of % of product, and I was extremely turned off. Then all of the other shady stuff came out and I was disgusted by the whole thing. I never did lather the tin of Cavendish when it arrived.
I have 3 of his soaps and 1 of the splashes. Then I found out about it,actually had a razor from HTGAM on the way and and alum block too.

Like i said to each his own ,HTGAM was the first soap I tried besides proraso and tobs. Since then I've found soaps I like better and IMO perform better. 

I haft to be honest though. While his soaps were average I really liked his aftershave splashes.

3 1,356
 09-20-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:30 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-20-2015, 10:25 AM)shevek Wrote: I remember there was a decent amount of positive buzz on the forums about these products. I was always turned off by the hipster marketing style, but eventually placed an order for the HTGAM Cavendish, just looking for a good pipe tobacco scent. The day after I placed my order, the drama started unfolding about his ingredients being listed in order of popularity instead of % of product, and I was extremely turned off. Then all of the other shady stuff came out and I was disgusted by the whole thing. I never did lather the tin of Cavendish when it arrived.
I have 3 of his soaps and 1 of the splashes. Then I found out about it,actually had a razor from HTGAM on the way and and alum block too.

Like i said to each his own ,HTGAM was the first soap I tried besides proraso and tobs. Since then I've found soaps I like better and IMO perform better. 

I haft to be honest though. While his soaps were average I really liked his aftershave splashes.

I agree, too each his own.

38 1,159
 09-20-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
We kind of got off topic here. I didn't want to know about PAA, but PPF. I guess short story is the owner of PPF got involved with a douche and her business went away. Lol. I won't be buying from PAA :-)

11 195
 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
They are officially partners now, Frances and Doug.

49 1,937
 09-20-2015, 10:56 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:49 AM)Yellowv Wrote: We kind of got off topic here. I didn't want to know about PAA, but PPF. I guess short story is the owner of PPF got involved with a douche and her business went away. Lol. I won't be buying from PAA :-)

1 in the same.

3 1,356
 09-20-2015, 11:53 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(09-20-2015, 10:51 AM)nikos.a Wrote: They are officially partners now, Frances and Doug.

There is no Doug.  Douglas Smythe is the fictional character, a personna, like other fictional characters in colorful clown suits such as Ronald McDonald or Colonel Sanders.  
His real name is Eric Hodges, owner of HTGAM, PPF, PAA, and now Crown-King.

47 1,901
 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
So it's metastasising. I like this bit a lot, though: "made with non-toxic, natural and organic ingredients". Coming from an outfit that mislabelled their products, and put cyanide in them. Well, I guess cyanide is natural...

0 197
 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
(09-20-2015, 12:19 PM)RobinK Wrote: So it's metastasising. I like this bit a lot, though: "made with non-toxic, natural and organic ingredients". Coming from an outfit that mislabelled their products, and put cyanide in them. Well, I guess cyanide is natural...

Cyanide???? Not sure if your joking...

3 1,356