09-20-2015, 12:47 PM
User Info
I've never tried either, but have always found the Pal Adjustable to be the best looking SE razor ever.  They come up often on eBay, and cheap too, so I've been thinking about buying one.  Is there a reason why Pal's are so much cheaper than Schick's?  Is there anyone on this forum that has experience with both SE Adjustables, who will share his wisdom?  Thank you.

11 84
 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I have and use both.
The Schick adjustable may have been designed for the "TwinBlade"  blade which had a second cutting surface a bit back from the main edge. The M4 non-adjustable of that period was for sure. That made the blade a bit more exposed on it with a regular injector blade.
It does shave my face well at the mid setting with normal injector blades.

'The Pal is a smooth shaving razor and a bit more aggressive at the mid range. but, then the Pals were usually that way. And the old Pal blades were my favorite back in the day.
Either will work well and the cheap answer is   having both to play with.
~Richard

8 1,194
 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
I won a PAL on EBay, can't wait to give it a try.  You gents are bad influence Biggrin

61 3,796
 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM
User Info
I have had both but kept the Schick and use it regularly. Both shaved great but I prefered the lighter weight of Schick. I just found it more comfortable overall and I felt I could fine tune the aggressiveness more with the Schick. May have just been my imagination. In the end just get both lol. Keep both or just the one you like more. You could always sell the other pretty quickly. Good luck on which ever you choose and enjoy!

147 3,536
 10-07-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
Love the look of the Pal, but found the handle to be funky to hold and the adjustments a bit sloppy and inconsistent compared to the Schick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 370
 10-07-2015, 06:43 PM
User Info
I have both and I prefer using the Schick adjustable. Doesn't help that I dropped my PAL adjustable and the spring went crazy and isn't working now.

0 82
 10-07-2015, 07:27 PM
User Info
I have both. The PAL is a little more finicky about shave angle, and a little more aggressive at equivalent settings. The aggressiveness is really a moot point since both are adjustable and cover a fairly wide range. 

The PAL is made mostly of stainless steel except for the underside of the handle, making it possibly one of the first stainless steel razors. This means that it is significantly heavier than the Schick. I like a heavier razor, hence I prefer the PAL. If you like a light razor, you will likely prefer the Schick. 

I also like the PAL because it looks so wicked cool.  Thumbsup

I agree with others who have pointed out that since both can be acquired relatively cheaply you can buy both and draw your own conclusions.

--Bob

0 185
 10-08-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
I have used both, and now use the PAL in regular rotation.  It is a terrific razor, but leans toward the aggressive side.  Begin at the midpoint and, if you wish, move up in aggressiveness.  The best blades -- if any can be found (I have my stash) are Schick Plus Platinum, out of production for many years.   Present day Schick are also fairly good.   With the PAL, you have to pay attention to the angle, or it simply won't shave.   By the way, the adjustment mechanism moves the bar in and out: it is most aggressive when the bar is IN, giving the greatest blade exposure.

It is heavier than most of the Schick razors of the period, but certainly not heavy by today's standards.   And once you get used to it, it is very difficult to let it go.

Stanley

2 155
 10-08-2015, 04:51 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I have both, the Schick is the one that is always at hand.  As the others have pointed out, both have some advantages.  The one thing not mentioned is that some number of the PALs had a  shared manufacturing defect regarding the tensioning mechanism, there was some discussion of same awhile ago on another shave forum.

44 473
 10-08-2015, 05:16 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
..........where can a weary traveler purchase one of these PALs or Schick Adjustables?

45 1,066
 10-08-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 05:16 AM)leonidas Wrote: ..........where can a weary traveler purchase one of these PALs or Schick Adjustables?

The usual places: eBay, Etsy, the BST forums on the shaving websites (such as this one), your local flea markets, swap meets and antique shops. The Schicks are more common than the PAL, but neither is hard to find if you're patient. 

I think that the "manufacturing defect" is overblown. The adjusting mechanism of the PAL works against spring tension and is susceptible to being gunked up from shaving soap scum etc. I've been able to revitalize a few by a thorough cleaning and cycling a few used, oiled blades through the injector mechanism. The guard actually slides against the underside of the blade when the razor is adjusted. Some of the "defective" razors may just need a little TLC.

[Image: rS4GN3c.jpg] 

--Bob

0 185
 10-08-2015, 08:11 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....thank you, spidey9..............

...............i'll keep an eye out for one of them..........

45 1,066