09-22-2015, 01:09 AM
User Info
Thank you for the great review - I am glad my journey took me from the Plisson directly to the Whipped Dog Biggrin

7 1,046
 09-22-2015, 01:28 AM
User Info
Really enjoyed reading your review! As an exclusive user of synthetics I found it very informative.

The synthetic 'light' knots have really got me interested. I have both 28mm and 24mm fauxmere knots in a custom handles and they are great. 

The etsy store doesn't ship to uk, hopefully more can be sourced. I would really like to try this particular type of synthetic knot.

2 213
 09-22-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
(09-21-2015, 08:39 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Excellent reviews. I went there to buy the lights but it was only available in 22mm and then apparently sold out a few minutes later because it is gone. I would prefer the 24mm so probably wouldn't have bought the 22mm anyway. What I am wondering though is if the "lights" knots are actually the Plisson knot, or Sunrise or Fauxmere, whatever they want to call it. They look the same but you would know since you own them. Does it look like the same squiggly fibers as the Plisson? I wonder if his manufacturer is the same one for both knots and just offered the "lights" in different color than the Sunrise to mimic a badger hair knot. I will probably but the 24mm Sunrise from there since it is free shipping, and then order a Whipped Dog handle to test it out. Thanks again for the helpful informative reviews.

I don't have a 24mm Sunrise yet, I have one out for delivery today, but I believe the Sunrise is the same as the Fauxmere sold by Chiseled Face.  If this is the case, then I can tell you that the Lights knot and the Sunrise/Fauxmere are different knots.  They feel different and behave differently, I agree with SRNewb that the Plisson clones do feel slightly softer, but only slightly.  The Lights knot has noticeable more backbone and more of a compact bulb shape to it. 

All that being said, if the 24mm Sunrise knot turns out to be the same as the CF Fauxmere with a 66mm loft, I am going to set it into a WD handle a little deeper than the standard 10mm.  I will probably start by setting it to 12mm, and maybe even do another set to 15mm just out of curiousity.  I'll definitely add any new comments to this thread once I try them out.

10 407
 09-22-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-21-2015, 09:51 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 09:09 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: Thanks for the great review. I purchased the last of the "lights" 22mm knots ( sorry Hobbyist ) and plan on using for a travel brush, but if it's good maybe it will get into my regular rotation.
I am also really looking forward to gluing up my first brush!

No problem..lol, I actually prefer the 24mm. Please let us know how you like it and if you have a Plisson 22mm to compare it to that would be nice to hear as well.

Actually this will be my first synthetic brush and my first time gluing one up as well.

8 859
 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-22-2015, 06:48 AM)molon_labe Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 08:39 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Excellent reviews. I went there to buy the lights but it was only available in 22mm and then apparently sold out a few minutes later because it is gone. I would prefer the 24mm so probably wouldn't have bought the 22mm anyway. What I am wondering though is if the "lights" knots are actually the Plisson knot, or Sunrise or Fauxmere, whatever they want to call it. They look the same but you would know since you own them. Does it look like the same squiggly fibers as the Plisson? I wonder if his manufacturer is the same one for both knots and just offered the "lights" in different color than the Sunrise to mimic a badger hair knot. I will probably but the 24mm Sunrise from there since it is free shipping, and then order a Whipped Dog handle to test it out. Thanks again for the helpful informative reviews.

I don't have a 24mm Sunrise yet, I have one out for delivery today, but I believe the Sunrise is the same as the Fauxmere sold by Chiseled Face.  If this is the case, then I can tell you that the Lights knot and the Sunrise/Fauxmere are different knots.  They feel different and behave differently, I agree with SRNewb that the Plisson clones do feel slightly softer, but only slightly.  The Lights knot has noticeable more backbone and more of a compact bulb shape to it. 

All that being said, if the 24mm Sunrise knot turns out to be the same as the CF Fauxmere with a 66mm loft, I am going to set it into a WD handle a little deeper than the standard 10mm.  I will probably start by setting it to 12mm, and maybe even do another set to 15mm just out of curiousity.  I'll definitely add any new comments to this thread once I try them out.
Definitely look forward to your observations concerning the Sunrise knot, as I am contemplating it for a restore of an old nylon brush I have. If the knots are different, i'll try one of the Sunrise ones just to have the difference. If they are basically the same except for looks, I'll wait a while and see if he get the Lights knot back in, as I like the look of that knot.
(09-22-2015, 07:52 AM)Dinder1 Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 09:51 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 09:09 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: Thanks for the great review. I purchased the last of the "lights" 22mm knots ( sorry Hobbyist ) and plan on using for a travel brush, but if it's good maybe it will get into my regular rotation.
I am also really looking forward to gluing up my first brush!

No problem..lol, I actually prefer the 24mm. Please let us know how you like it and if you have a Plisson 22mm to compare it to that would be nice to hear as well.

Actually this will be my first synthetic brush and my first time gluing one up as well.

It is no more difficult than the video that was posted above. The trick is to get the right amount of epoxy to set the knot, without having it squeeze out all over the knot and handle when you put them together. And don't forget to give it a little twist as you seat it. You also need a lot less epoxy than you think to do the job.

2 1,808
 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Thanks for the great review.

0 403
 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
I remember back when there were only one or two synthetic brushes on the market and they sucked... how times have changed.

0 47
 09-22-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
Just a quick update, nothing scientific yet but rather a first impression of the 24mm Sunrise knot from the same vendor as the now sold out Lights knot, AMACK4shaving on Etsy. I don't have a handle to set it in, but just from handling the Sunrise and comparing it against the other loose Lights knots I also received, these 2 styles are very similar, almost identical even. The Sunrise is 1mm taller than the Lights, at 65mm total height, and it has an ever so slightly more rounded bulb shape. The only other difference is maybe a hair less backbone, but this is nowhere close to the 24mm Fauxmere knot like I thought it would be, so I stand corrected. 

I have 2 more handles en route, I'm going to set this one at the standard 10mm depth, and I also have another 24mm Fauxmere knot coming to try out at a slightly lower loft.

If anyone is interested in one of the Lights knots I just received let me know, after having the Sunrise in hand I don't want to hoard both of them. In all honesty though, for $10 shipped I can already tell you this Sunrise is probably going to be another winner.

10 407
 09-22-2015, 05:40 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(09-22-2015, 04:54 PM)molon_labe Wrote: Just a quick update, nothing scientific yet but rather a first impression of the 24mm Sunrise knot from the same vendor as the now sold out Lights knot, AMACK4shaving on Etsy. I don't have a handle to set it in, but just from handling the Sunrise and comparing it against the other loose Lights knots I also received, these 2 styles are very similar, almost identical even. The Sunrise is 1mm taller than the Lights, at 65mm total height, and it has an ever so slightly more rounded bulb shape. The only other difference is maybe a hair less backbone, but this is nowhere close to the 24mm Fauxmere knot like I thought it would be, so I stand corrected. 

I have 2 more handles en route, I'm going to set this one at the standard 10mm depth, and I also have another 24mm Fauxmere knot coming to try out at a slightly lower loft.

If anyone is interested in one of the Lights knots I just received let me know, after having the Sunrise in hand I don't want to hoard both of them. In all honesty though, for $10 shipped I can already tell you this Sunrise is probably going to be another winner.

Thanks for the update! I talked with Anthony a bit about the knots when I ordered my brush from him, and he basically told me there wasn't very much if any difference between the two knots except the look. I'm glad to get confirmation from someone who has both at hand.

2 1,808
 09-22-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
Thank you for a comprehensive review.

I've been experimenting extensively with synthetics since 2014.  My most recent synthetic project has been comparing the 24mm Whipped Dog and Chiseled Face Fauxmere knots.  I've never tried the Ubersoft knots.  I've read a number of posts indicating that the Ubersoft may be the same fiber as the Whipped Dog.  Some of the Ubersoft knots I've seen seem to lack a uniform shape and did not appear attractive to me, while all the Whipped Dog knots I've seen have a nice, uniform shape to them.  Thus, I decided to go with Whipped Dog instead of Ubersoft.

Both the Whipped Dog and Fauxmere are listed at 65mm.  In order to control as many variables as possible, I installed each knot in a Whipped Dog handle drilled to its standard 10mm.  This should result in a final loft of 55mm, which is what I was looking for.  After I installed the knots, the Whipped Dog ended up with a 53mm loft, while the Fauxmere ended up with a 55mm loft.  Here are the two brushes, with the Whipped Dog on the left and the Fauxmere on the right.

[Image: gT3J9o3.jpg]

Both of these knots have a glue bump which extends over the handle.  The glue bump on the Fauxmere is slightly higher.  However, the Fauxmere also has a loft that is 2mm higher.  If the Whipped Dog had a loft 2mm higher, it would likely have a glue bump of comparable height to the Fauxmere.  Due to these glue bumps, 55mm may be the highest practical loft of these brushes.  If you raise the loft higher than that you're raising the glue bump and may not get an effectively higher loft. 

I used these brushes exclusively for 7 straight days of 3-pass shaves.  For 3 of those shaves, I used both brushes at the same time, one in each hand, so I could compare how they felt.  They are both outstanding knots, comparable in softness and backbone.  I do detect that the Whipped Dog feels very slightly softer, but the difference minimal and highly subjective.

I then decided to compare the Fauxmere to my Plisson (22mm), which sits in a Peter Wolf custom handle.   Here they are, with the Fauxmere on the left and the Plisson on the right:

[Image: eOVAsin.jpg]

I understand that the Fauxmere and Plisson may be the same fiber.  I don't know if they are, but they certainly look and feel the same to me.  I do not see any difference in density between the Fauxmere and Plisson knots.  Although the Plisson is a 22mm, you can see that it has a slightly larger bloom at the top.  This is due to the higher loft of 56-57mm, and the lack of a glue bump in the Plisson.  With no glue bump, the effective loft of the Plisson is the same as its actual loft.  If you raised the loft on the Fauxmere to 56-57mm, you would not get that effective loft due to the glue bump.  As is to be expected, both the Fauxmere and Whipped Dog have greater backbone than the Plisson, but without any loss of softness that I could detect.

I think both of these synthetic knots are superb.  In a Whipped Dog handle, I see them as the best values available in synthetic brushes.  If you're looking for more of a high end brush, just use either of these knots in a fine artisan custom handle.

54 8,311
 09-22-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
Good review. I was basically a synthetic brush nut for a while. You actually got me steered back toward natural hair with your boar advice. Lol. That said I have a 24mm WD at normal loft, a 24mm ubersoft (same as WD) set a little deeper in a WD handle, the white and black satin tip, a Plisson and the Fine angel hair. For me the Ubersoft set a little deeper is my favorite and most used, followed by the regular WD and Plisson. I really like the Satin Tips a lot and at $15 a piece they have a huge bang for the buck. The Fine is like a small Plisson and myeast favorite of the bunch. IMO the Ubersoft set a few mm deeper balances softness and backbone perfectly.

11 195
 09-22-2015, 06:48 PM
User Info
[Image: E84425E3-3BF1-4E6A-BD8A-E1BDCEE08BB3_zpsegfc7h4a.jpg]
Those are mine. I actually have a spare 24mm Ubersoft knot just sitting. I had it slated for a wolf Whiskers, but went badger instead.

11 195
 09-23-2015, 05:38 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 06:30 PM)Yellowv Wrote: Good review. I was basically a synthetic brush nut for a while. You actually got me steered back toward natural hair with your boar advice. Lol. That said I have a 24mm WD at normal loft, a 24mm ubersoft (same as WD) set a little deeper in a WD handle, the white and black satin tip, a Plisson and the Fine angel hair. For me the Ubersoft set a little deeper is my favorite and most used, followed by the regular WD and Plisson. I really like the Satin Tips a lot and at $15 a piece they have a huge bang for the buck. The Fine is like a small Plisson and myeast favorite of the bunch. IMO the Ubersoft set a few mm deeper balances softness and backbone perfectly.

Ha, sorry about that.  My love for boars was a result of my first few experiences with synthetics and lower end badgers (which still cost more than double the price of a homemade synthetic brush).  I'm surprised you like the WD set lower, if I had to guess I would think it would be too hard to splay for my liking but I might be wrong.  Just goes to show how much personal preferences really play into these kinds of things.  I'm enjoying being able to experiment with different knots and really figure out what I like.  Once I get it dialed in the rest will be sold or traded.  I'm kind of a boring guy and favor consistency over variety in the long term.

10 407
 09-24-2015, 04:46 AM
User Info
Here's a quick example of the lather I'm getting using the Lights knot with some Soap Commander Integrity soap. This is one of the reasons I've decided to start experimenting with synthetic brushes again. It's just almost effortless to get a great lather with these brushes.

[Image: 2015-09-23%2021.34.22_zps8ecgkafk.jpg]

And here is a shot of Mike's Unscented lathered with the Whipped Dog from a couple days ago.

[Image: 2015-09-20%2011.27.18_zpswe2nujab.jpg]

10 407
 09-24-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
Anyone has experienced Mühle v2 to compare with these nice little fellows? 
I know those are a bit more expensive but would like to know what you think. 
Thanks,

9 1,466
 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
User Info
I set the 24mm fauxmere knot in an ever ready handle. I used hot melt glue gun glue to set it- quick cure, easy to remove if I like, and waterproof.

I like the fauxmere but I need to set some of the other knots I have before I rank them. Currently getting some custom handles machined.

Sent from my mobile device

5 184
 09-24-2015, 05:34 PM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 05:40 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 04:54 PM)molon_labe Wrote: Just a quick update, nothing scientific yet but rather a first impression of the 24mm Sunrise knot from the same vendor as the now sold out Lights knot, AMACK4shaving on Etsy. I don't have a handle to set it in, but just from handling the Sunrise and comparing it against the other loose Lights knots I also received, these 2 styles are very similar, almost identical even. The Sunrise is 1mm taller than the Lights, at 65mm total height, and it has an ever so slightly more rounded bulb shape. The only other difference is maybe a hair less backbone, but this is nowhere close to the 24mm Fauxmere knot like I thought it would be, so I stand corrected. 

Thanks for the update! I talked with Anthony a bit about the knots when I ordered my brush from him, and he basically told me there wasn't very much if any difference between the two knots except the look. I'm glad to get confirmation from someone who has both at hand.

That is what I was thinking. I figure it is the same manufacturer but they color one to make it look like a Silvertip. Thanks for the info.

13 947
 09-24-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
(09-24-2015, 04:46 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Here's a quick example of the lather I'm getting using the Lights knot with some Soap Commander Integrity soap. This is one of the reasons I've decided to start experimenting with synthetic brushes again. It's just almost effortless to get a great lather with these brushes.

[Image: 2015-09-23%2021.34.22_zps8ecgkafk.jpg]

And here is a shot of Mike's Unscented lathered with the Whipped Dog from a couple days ago.

[Image: 2015-09-20%2011.27.18_zpswe2nujab.jpg]

Those are beautiful lathers. I feel the same way; ever since I started using synthetics I have literally never had a single issue lathering a soap. That doesn't mean I don't still have to dial in the water ratio over a few tries, it just means that there has been no such thing as a fail or a hard time making lather. The same goes for loading, it is effortless.

13 947
 09-24-2015, 05:41 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(09-21-2015, 10:08 AM)MHWood Wrote: Just ordered the 22mm "Lights" Knot from AMACK4shaving etsy page to see how it is after reading this. Hopefully I'll be able to give some insight as to how the 22mm is!

Just received the knot! Insanely fast shipping. So far this knot looks and feels like a winner for me! This weekend I will make a handle for it while I finish up a couple for some individuals. After I get it set and use it, I'll report back with my further findings.

Tom

3 291
 09-24-2015, 08:10 PM
User Info
(09-24-2015, 09:13 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Any one has experienced Mühle v2 to compare with these nice little fellows? 
I know those are a bit more expensive but would like to know what you think. 
Thanks,

I have a Muhle STF V2 in 23mm and as most guys say it has more backbone than the Plisson or the WD. It's my favorite brush for bowl lathering but it also works great for face lathering.

5 1,801