09-22-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
Thanks for taking the time sir.  Legendary lather!

83 423
 09-22-2015, 05:44 AM
User Info
Nice lather. 

After watching the video, though, I'd have to say that what you are really doing is loading soap for a lot longer than most people do; you are actually building the lather on your hand in the video (presumably on your face in daily life).  

I had to chuckle a little, too, about swiping the brush twice through the water and then gently shaking off the excess.  This could also be accomplished by just swiping the brush once through the water.  Jus' sayin.'

But overall, great video and great method.  I use the same method almost exactly except that I bowl lather, start the loading with a bit more water than you do, and load for a slightly shorter period of time.  To me the salient points are these: 

1) Start loading with a dry-ish brush, not sopping wet
2) Load a lot of soap into the brush
3) Add water gradually, bit by bit, and incorporate the water fully before adding more
4) Take time to allow the lather to fully build

These four steps are exactly the same in your method and in mine.

2 1,554
 09-22-2015, 05:47 AM
User Info
Great video for building lather! I think we will see a lot more lather pics now....

82 2,249
 09-22-2015, 05:52 AM
User Info
Hits on the 3 key points in generating great lather - soap, water, and work. Load it up a ton, keep adding water a bit at a time, and most importantly put in the effort!

16 1,027
 09-22-2015, 06:02 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-22-2015, 05:44 AM)kingfisher Wrote: These four steps are exactly the same in your method and in mine.
My method is similar but I only load the brush on the puck, then build on the face dipping the brush tips in water as needed.

I will definitely try the subtle variation- I actually started that way with VdH soap, building in a mug on the puck and was educated as a spry young shaving lad that it was a waste of soap by the pundits I consulted and it became long forgotten.

Seeing as I have enough soap to last through the apocalypse that is not a concern. Smile

2 1,180
 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 05:44 AM)kingfisher Wrote: After watching the video, though, I'd have to say that what you are really doing is loading soap for a lot longer than most people do; you are actually building the lather on your hand in the video (presumably on your face in daily life).  

I had to chuckle a little, too, about swiping the brush twice through the water and then gently shaking off the excess.  This could also be accomplished by just swiping the brush once through the water.  Jus' sayin.'

Thanks for the feedback my friend!
I understand you taking issue with what I call building lather on the puck because, as you point out, it isn't built entirely on the puck.  However, unquestionably there is lather being built on the puck, and not just merely more soap being loaded.  The multiple additions of water while loading contributes to building the lather significantly.  You're right though that I continue to build or finalize the lather by adding more water, but the lather that is generated on the puck before finalizing would work very well for shaving with no additional working and would not dry while on the face, because it has become very hydrated from the additions of water while loading.  But it is the additional incorporation of water that allow for the lather to become fully-hydrated, shiny and super slippery.
Regarding my method of water additions, we all do some things for absolutely no reason whatsoever!  Smile   You're right that there is no magic to swiping the brush through the water stream two times (but neither is there any magic to doing it once, or even three times for that matter!) I do find the swipe method to be superior to dunking the tips, because there seems to be less water absorbed by the brush because it kind of runs off the lather that is building on the brushand doesn't seem to soak into the brush as much as dunking the tips which makes it much easier to gauge water additions and avoid over-hydration (obviously my observation/opinion).  
You're right, when it comes right down to it, the four steps you mentioned are the keys to building good lather no matter how you go about doing it.

75 2,320
 09-22-2015, 06:54 AM
User Info
Excellent tutorial Nathan! Thanks for taking the time to share and demonstrate your method.

Do you find you can consistently produce the same results with a true cream, i.e. Baume.be/ Pens/ CF's?

I would imagine your approach would be different but wouldn't mind seeing a video on how you may achieve this with a true cream.. Smile

65 799
 09-22-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 06:54 AM)Bravado13 Wrote: Excellent tutorial Nathan! Thanks for taking the time to share and demonstrate your method.

Do you find you can consistently produce the same results with a true cream, i.e. Baume.be/ Pens/ CF's?

I would imagine your approach would be different but wouldn't mind seeing a video on how you may achieve this with a true cream.. Smile

Thanks Rick! I find that creams generate this type of lather fairly easily.  Obviously there is no extended loading time but the key is simply get enough product to start with followed by gradual additions of water and working the lather.

75 2,320
 09-22-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 05:30 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 04:38 AM)primotenore Wrote: The cat is out of the bag now.  Biggrin
I fully expect to see some shiny lather shots in the near future. I am going to give this method a try with Tabac this morning. Thank you for the effort and for sharing your technique Nathan.

Primo, I love using this method with Tabac!  It works very well, show us a picture of how it goes! Enjoy!
This is after the THIRD Pass!!! I kid you not.  Exclamation
Side note: Great slickness, no weepers, BBS...but the Gillette Silver Blue is such a thin blade, a real vacuum was created in my AS-D2, cut my finger trying to remove the blade.  Sad
Tomorrow, I will post a pre-shave lather shot. You've got some competition now Nathan  Wink

[Image: FKTxSUr.jpg]

39 3,953
 09-22-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
Great video Nathan!  I'm surprised to see I build my lather very similar to you, although instead of swiping the brush under the running water I dip the fingertips of my bush-holding hand in the sink and let a few drops fall down onto the puck to add water as I'm loading up.  I also usually bloom the soap which I think gets the lather building on the puck a little quicker, at the risk of less control over water content unless you squeeze your brush perfectly every time.  For me that means limiting myself to only a couple soaps and brushes so I have a better understanding of how they perform.  For the most part I only use Mike's, Stirling, or Soap Commander and lately I've been using either a 24mm "Lights" synthetic or 24mm Whipped Dog synthetic which both work very well.  I also had a lot of luck with this method when I was using a Semogue 620 and 610, although I think the finer fibers of the synthetic brushes do a better job at making really nice lather.  

I usually transfer the lather I built on the puck to my face using circlular motions with the brush splayed to lay the initial foundation, then when it's pretty well worked in and evenly coated I switch to the paint brush strokes and finish hydrating the lather that way, dipping the tips in the sink as I need to add more water.  This seems to work really well for me, and based off how you palm lathered I'm guessing it is similar for you.

I agree that soon we will be having some really nice looking pictures in the lather shots thread.

10 407
 09-22-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 07:08 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 05:30 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 04:38 AM)primotenore Wrote: The cat is out of the bag now.  Biggrin
I fully expect to see some shiny lather shots in the near future. I am going to give this method a try with Tabac this morning. Thank you for the effort and for sharing your technique Nathan.

Primo, I love using this method with Tabac!  It works very well, show us a picture of how it goes! Enjoy!
This is after the THIRD Pass!!! I kid you not.  Exclamation
Side note: Great slickness, no weepers, BBS...but the Gillette Silver Blue is such a thin blade, a real vacuum was created in my AS-D2, cut my finger trying to remove the blade.  Sad
Tomorrow, I will post a pre-shave lather shot. You've got some competition now Nathan  Wink

[Image: FKTxSUr.jpg]
Hahaha!!! Well done Primo! It looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,320
 09-22-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
Couldn't wait until tomorrow.
MW Lavender
Pretty shiny. Better camera might help   Blush
[Image: VsOLyKs.jpg]

39 3,953
 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
Great video thanks 

0 14
 09-22-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
Thanks for taking the time Nathan Thumbsup

61 3,796
 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
Thanks for posting!

26 235
 09-22-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
Thanks Nathan! Great video!

59 295
 09-22-2015, 04:24 PM
  • Guto
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Brazil
User Info
Great video, thanks!

0 2
 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:29 PM)Rango Wrote: Great video thanks 

(09-22-2015, 04:01 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Thanks for taking the time Nathan Thumbsup

(09-22-2015, 04:05 PM)ksn2273 Wrote: Thanks for posting!

(09-22-2015, 04:13 PM)happydaze Wrote: Thanks Nathan! Great video!

(09-22-2015, 04:24 PM)Guto Wrote: Great video, thanks!

You're welcome guys! I hope you find the information useful.

75 2,320
 09-22-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
Very nice video. Protolathering on the puck has been the only way I've successfully achived that thick and protective lather I like and tend to associate with a visible-bubble-free lather like you have on that video. 
I too think a cream video would be nice Smile
Thanks for sharing.

8 1,210
 09-22-2015, 11:01 PM
  • O_P
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
User Info
Thanks  for a very useful post, I tried this method this morning with spectacular results. Thank you

0 21