09-22-2015, 12:22 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
Very curious to hear what everyone's favorite places that they have traveled to. Maybe this will encourage people to travel more.

What made the places so special?

3 291
 09-22-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
Where I presently live; Maine.

32 6,460
 09-22-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
 09-22-2015, 03:19 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:09 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Where I presently live; Maine.

I love Maine; spent a summer in Harrison and turned 21 in Portland. Absolutely beautiful!

My favorite place... kind of tough to call as I love to travel. Probably a toss up between New Zealand and Morocco with NZ taking it by a nose.

Interesting thread though and look forward to other's!

2 1,180
 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:09 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Where I presently live; Maine.

+1 close to home. I love going to Maine to vacation. The waterfront towns are just like my own, but different and equally enjoyable and relaxing

0 517
 09-22-2015, 03:40 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
To all of you who has talked about maine, is there any specific towns you enjoy? Me and the gf are planning a road trip to Maine in late May early June of next year. So far we have Bar Harbor and Portland on our radar. Are we missing any towns?

3 291
 09-22-2015, 03:51 PM
User Info
Tough to narrow it down, but a few of my favorites:

Iceland

[Image: 1434926934245.jpg]

Scotland

[Image: Higlands49.jpg]

The Grenadines

[Image: IMAGE_8062EDB0-15A5-462C-B899-FAE59125D3E0.JPG]

53 1,199
 09-22-2015, 03:53 PM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:40 PM)MHWood Wrote: To all of you who has talked about maine, is there any specific towns you enjoy? Me and the gf are planning a road trip to Maine in late May early June of next year. So far we have Bar Harbor and Portland on our radar. Are we missing any towns?

I really enjoyed Belfast, nice stop on the way to Bar Harbor (another great place).  If you have the time to go all the way up, Roosevelt Campobello International Park is amazing and well worth it!

53 1,199
 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:53 PM)david1201 Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 03:40 PM)MHWood Wrote: To all of you who has talked about maine, is there any specific towns you enjoy? Me and the gf are planning a road trip to Maine in late May early June of next year. So far we have Bar Harbor and Portland on our radar. Are we missing any towns?

I really enjoyed Belfast, nice stop on the way to Bar Harbor (another great place).  If you have the time to go all the way up, Roosevelt Campobello International Park is amazing and well worth it!

We will look into that! We're planning on staying 3 nights in bar harbor and spend at least one of them in Acadia hiking.

3 291
 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
Two for me.....

East - Acadia National Park.  Visited last year and fell in love with it.  We have reservations at a lovely B&B in downtown Bar Harbor and will be leaving this coming Sunday for a week.  The Granite coastline is beyond description.  My wife and I spend hours watching and listening to the waves crash against the Granite.  Also, hiking is great.  Planning on doing Cadillac Mountain, Gorham Mountain, and the Beehive Trails as well as some others.

West - Grand Canyon.  It is one of those places you have to see to understand the vastness of the canyon.  Several years ago I hiked the South Kaibab Trail down to the Colorado River and then up the Bright Angel Trail back to the rim.  Dipped my toes in the very cold river.  It was a great experience.

Ed

22 752
 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
Prague is the most beautiful city I've ever seen:

[Image: 0Grk1Oj.jpg]

. . . . . I was in Bruges recently -- it's my number two.

5 395
 09-22-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
[Image: dJ4FnH7.jpg]

Cinque Terre in Italy. Went in 2004 with my wife-to-be, had an amazing time.

40 1,166
 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
How could I forget the Cinque Terre?  Great option in Italy that the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed!

53 1,199
 09-22-2015, 08:52 PM
User Info

In Portland you must see the old port. It's a fantastic foodie destination. You can get anything you want there, from beluga caviar or just a simple satisfying sandwich with micro-brewed beer. If you're into fresh baked bread there is a bakery in the old port that has been featured on national TV; Standard Baking Co. . http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bakeries&find_loc=Portland%2C+ME

Then there is the cooking school in Portland where you can get a fantastic meal for not a great deal of money. Cooked by the students and they get graded on what they cook, so you know that it'll be good. You'll need to track down the particulars. I've never been, I just know of it. http://www.smccme.edu/academics-a-regist...-arts.html

When you're in Belfast you need to stop in at Youngs Lobster pound for a shore dinner. It's just across the bridge on the north end. Lobster of course, but they have the best steamer clams in the state. You'll see why when you enter... They have huge tanks where the clams can get rid of their grit. I ate 3# of their clams just tonight. Not a bit of grit in any clam, and incredibly sweet.

There are also sea going kayak rentals in Belfast.

There is so much to see in Maine, but none of the attractions are flashy or showy. It's all very understated and lots of times you simply need to know that it's there. You can see Maine rapidly go, go, go, and drive from one spot to another, or, and I think the best way is to slow down and get to know an area.

If you head up Rt1, in Wiscasset there is Red Eats right before the bridge. It's not much to look at, but the food is good. They are known for their lobster rolls, but I always go there for their fried clams. The ambience is terrible since it's right next to Rt1, but the food can be had "to go". There is a wharf just across the street and that's a nice place to sit, watch the harbor, and eat.

Near Wiscasset, just on the north side of the bridge there is a road that goes off to the right, and heads down the Boothbay peninsula. BoothBay Harbor is quite nice. Near there is the last manually operated swinging bridge in Maine. Slow down and get a lobster roll and eat it on the deck while watching the bridge tender swing the bridge for the boat traffic.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g40...Maine.html

Before you get to the bridge there is a horticultural garden (180 acres?) that is supposed to be quite nice. Again,  haven't been myself. It's one of those places that you need to know is there as the sign isn't very large, and there's nothing on the main road to tell you where it is. That's Maine.

A lot of of Rt1 is nonstop tourist traps, some good, some bad, but get off of Rt1 and you'll see the real Maine. Coastal Maine anyway. There's a whole 'nother Maine inland. Coastal Maine can keep you busy for a very long time. Maine has more coastline than the rest of the contiguous states combined. You can easily spend 2 weeks in Acadia and never see it all. Then there are the islands. You can catch a boat in Bar Harbor to go to some of them, watch whales, see harbor seals, puffins, maybe even a bald eagle or two. Eagles are common in Maine if you're near water. If you bicycle you'll get plenty of use out of them on the carriage roads and see things that most visitors to Acadia don't see since motor vehicle traffic is forbidden on them. Or you can rent horses and check them out that way, or take a carriage.

A necessity to finding a lot of these things is a Maine Atlas and Gazeteer by DeLorme. Don't be shy about stopping at tourist information booths, lots of this info can be found in them.

The weather in May and June can be in the 80s or the 40s, so bring appropriate clothing. We can get a lot of rain them too since winter and summer can still be fighting it out and when the warm, humid air from the south hits the cold air from the north water falls out.

What are yours and your GFs interests?

32 6,460
 09-22-2015, 11:34 PM
User Info
Chiangmai, Thailand. Just amazing.
Do I need to mention the wonders of the food there?

8 1,129
 09-22-2015, 11:39 PM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
Best natural place I have seen was the great barrier reef in Australia ... amazing Nature  Smile
Best city Venice (Italy Biggrin ) no doubt about that  .

0 1,076
 09-22-2015, 11:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Santa Fe, NM.  Rich in Indian and Mexican culture and just a great place to relax.

178 23,809
 09-23-2015, 03:10 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
As a kid growing up in Brooklyn I got a Jr Scolastic magazine that featured Bali. I carried that paper with me until it was completely shredded. I never imagined I would ever get to go there. Seventy years later I arrived in Ball. It was the same as the pictures I had as a kid except the cars were a bit newer

68 1,068
 09-23-2015, 05:00 AM
User Info
Southern Spain with my wife.

Also - travelling twice to Philmont (near Cimerron, NM) - backpacking for 10 days each time.  First time in 2011 with my older son, then in 2014 with my younger son.  Summiting Mt. Baldy both times.

[Image: 3840654813_f518e60503_z.jpg]

4 465
 09-23-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 11:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: Santa Fe, NM.  Rich in Indian and Mexican culture and just a great place to relax.

+1 and great Southwestern food. Biggrin

22 752