09-22-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
For those who started with a Merkur 34C and have moved to something else for your daily shave what did you evolve to and why, or do you still like and use the 34C?

0 78
 09-22-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
I started with the EJ89, but the Merkur 34C is still a fine shaver. If I hadn't found my Weber DLCs and Wolfman WR1-SB, I would still be using this razor quite often.

If you are just looking for a more efficient shaver, you may consider an adjustable such as the Progress which is also a great shaver, or one of the vintage Gillette adjustables.

Good luck.

83 21,113
 09-22-2015, 07:40 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-22-2015, 03:22 PM)Paul6506 Wrote: For those who started with a Merkur 34C and have moved to something else for your daily shave what did you evolve to and why, or do you still like and use the 34C?

Well, I never have used a 34C (or any Zamak-based razor whatsoever), but I do know a bit of history.  Both Edwin Jagger and Mühle bought DE razor heads from Merkur and attached the heads to their own handles for the razors that they sold well into the 21st century.  Then, the two companies entered into a joint development venture to make a better Merkur-style razor head, a project in which they both engaged for a period measured in years.  When they agreed that they had got it right, they shared coats on tooling and made their own Zamak casts, which Edwin Jagger chrome plated in Sheffield, UK, and Mühle chrome plated in Germany.  Except for the plating, Mühle '89 heads and Jagger '89 heads are identical.  

Weber and Standard Razors (and probably others) used the new and improved Markur-based heads from Mühle and Jagger as templates, and made razor heads that many think are the next step in improvements to the basic Merkur design.  But the roots of the blade exposure and the blade angle and the blade gap of the design run deep, probably back to the early Gillette DE razor designs of the beginning of the 20th century.

1 1,110
 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM
User Info
I had a Merkur with the 34c head but different handle. It was my very first vintage razor and the fragile pot metal broke after 6 months and a drop into the sink. I bought a Gillette SS which I used for two years. Got a bunch after that and wasn't as happy with them as the SS. Went completely with single edge razors (GEM and Ever Ready) sold all my DEs. Then introduced Injectors which where even better than the GEMs. To this date the only DE I rarely use is the Feather Popular. Just injectors for the most part. Even the Super Speed seems terrible by comparison. They're just so comfortable.

18 713
 09-23-2015, 04:07 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've been using and enjoying a Merkur head (now on an iKon handle) since picking up trad shaving. It's still a regular in my rotation. The fact that it's made of pot metal is of no consequence to me - it works well and seems to be well made. That being said, to answer Paul's question, go vintage young man! Pick up a RedTip and be done with it. Or look into another modern razor. Before long Paul, you'll have a nice little collection of razors and every time another pkg appears on your doorstep your sig-oth will raise an eyebrow and ask if you really need another razor. Yes. You do. After a while, sigoth will stop paying attention and you're good to go!

And btw, we need pics when you add another piece to your den, 'cause as it is said, POIDH. That, and we live vicariously through others in this digital realm Biggrin

7 2,359
 09-23-2015, 04:26 AM
User Info
It is a faultless razor, isn t it?

Next should be a Merkur as well, the model is called Progress  Smile

21 1,175
 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
My first DE was a Merkur also but the 38c although I do own a 34c as well. Solid razors!

For my next step I bought a Gillette Slim in birth year/quarter as I wanted to try an adjustable. No regrets at all.

I would agree with Phillip that the Progress/Mergress/Digress is a superb adjustable option and one I would have seriously considered if I had known more about it at the time. I use mine often now!

Good luck and just realize you should treat this thread as a list more than a decision maker as you will likely own ALL the recommendations!

2 1,180
 09-23-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
38C Barber Pole. Same head but longer handle and more heft. Easy transition.

Steve

0 9
 09-23-2015, 09:39 AM
User Info
Thanks all....Keep 'em comming. I really would like to try an adjustable DE. Vintage Gillette would be cool to have as well.

0 78
 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Ok, another for your list... I wish I would have picked up an OC razor sooner. As I began wetshaving I had the fear instilled and it wasn't until this past year that I opened the door.

I very much like the shaves I get and with proper technique no issues.

One of my favorites on a shoestring is the Fatip Grande. Brass, low cost, I have the nickel version and although I have heard others report issues with blade alignment mine is great!

The Razorock Bamboozled Rake is another OC razor that represents a good value.

2 1,180
 09-23-2015, 01:13 PM
User Info
Yeah, open combed razors are a interesting alter-native. Like the Pearl (Razorock jaws) type OC, the Bomboozled rake could be the identical head (?). I have the Fatip also, and the Muehle R41.

Get your technique right for the latter, both the Fatip and the Muehle have a greater blade exposure than the HD34.

Felt like chiming in again, I find the suggestions made good, and will likely use an OC razor tomorrow. Neglecting aggressive DE s since starting with straight razors

Philipp

21 1,175
 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-23-2015, 01:13 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Yeah, open combed razors are a interesting alter-native. Like the Pearl (Razorock jaws) type OC, the Bomboozled rake could be the identical head (?). I have the Fatip also, and the Muehle R41.

Get your technique right for the latter, both the Fatip and the Muehle have a greater blade exposure than the HD34.

Felt like chiming in again, I find the suggestions made good, and will likely use an OC razor tomorrow. Neglecting aggressive DE s since starting with straight razors

Philipp
I had heard Parker (same as 26C) but don't own either the Parker or a Pearl equivalent. Either way, adding the iKon handle is a bonus at $40 US!

The R41 is a good alternative too. I usually throw a Weber handle on and it is very efficient!

I may have to break out an OC this week too. Can't seem to quit shaving with the Black Mamba since I got it.

2 1,180
 09-24-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
I started DE shaving with a merkur 23c,  same head as the 34c. I switched to vintage after that and I would recommend getting a slim!  I use mine the majority of the time,  works perfectly for me on 5. A vintage New is a great OC razor to look into.

0 36
 09-25-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
I started with a 23C, same head as the 34c. I bought and sold dozens of razors in the past 3 years, new and vintage, DE and SE and straights. Great fun. 

I only recently picked up a Futur and I am blown away. It is a superb shaver and, IMO, the ultimate RAD killer. 
I keep the other razors for variety/sentimetality, but my recommendation is that the next $75 in this hobby should be used on a Futur.

Edit: the list of razors i have owned/sold includes: progress, weber, tradere, slim, most of the vintage SEs etc.

6 861
 09-26-2015, 01:31 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have and tried quite a few DEs and some SEs. Found out I like an aggressive razor to get a close long lasting shave. If I use a razor other than a straight razor it generally will be one of these:

Gillette Fat Boy set @ 9
Fatip OC
Muhle R41 2013 version
Mekur slant
Ever Ready 1912 but only with Personna stainless steel coated blades. 

Bob

0 1,694
 09-26-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
(09-23-2015, 09:39 AM)Paul6506 Wrote: Thanks all....Keep 'em comming. I really would like to try an adjustable DE. Vintage Gillette would be cool to have as well.

I started with a Merkur ended up with 5 vintage razors , have now settled on a 60 fatboy and a 66 slim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 766
 09-26-2015, 09:36 AM
User Info
I would suggest a slant for your second razor. Merkur 37C or 39 C, same head, different handle, or if you want stainless steel, Ikon or Above the Tie are pricier. Ikon also makes one called, I believe, 102 which sells for around $75 and gets great reviews, and is supposed to be back in stock soon.

A slant seems to me (YMMV of course), to be smoother and quite a bit more efficient than the 34C or my Fatboy.

0 61
 09-26-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
Merkur 34C is a fine razor. It, and the EJ or Mühle 89s are all razors that I love and use regularly, but are also probably the best production DEs for the beginner as well. Certainly a far superior choice for a rookie than the Microtouch ONE -- I would think it likely that most of these "as seen on TV" razors end up in the shaving kit that gets left in the suitcase in the basement. I shouldn't knock them -- plenty of people discovered DE shaving this way, and I hear that they deliver a pretty good shave, but the one I got to handle (not shave with) felt distinctly cheap and poorly made.

I think that if someone's technique is solid and resulting in dependably good shaves, the second razor probably should be something adjustable -- either one of the modern Merkurs, or a vintage Gillette. My own choice for a second razor was a Merkur 39C. When I first began using this slant razor I thought it was certainly much more aggressive than the 34C, but now, both these razors shave as smooth as silk for me. I find there's a bit of a break-in interval with any new razor. The more mileage you log wet shaving, the shorter that interval becomes.

Then there's the straight razor, or at least a shavette -- I think any veteran wet shaver should give one of these a try. They're cheap, use the same double edge blades (half a standard DE blade) and are remarkably easy to use if you start with the easy bits (cheeks?). Are you curious? Just google shavette -- Diamond Edge offers a shavette for under $6.00 that comes with 5 blades -- how can you resist?

5 395
 09-26-2015, 03:52 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(09-23-2015, 04:26 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Next should be a Merkur as well, the model is called Progress  Smile

+1

I think playing with blade gap is the next step. I especially enjoyed a routine of low setting for 1st pass followed by a more aggressive 2nd pass (counterintuitive at first; but try it!)

Then I tried a 37c slant. That changed everything and I sold my Progress. Infact I sold all my other razors and only shave with the 37c now.

17 535
 09-28-2015, 05:51 AM
  • Watash
  • Missouri
User Info
(09-23-2015, 04:26 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: It is a faultless razor, isn t it?

Next should be a Merkur as well, the model is called Progress  Smile

Just like Bibbelmann said it is a faultless razor. I used a 33c which is the same head with a somewhat lighter handle for 15 or 16 years almost exclusively and had absolutely no problems with its Zymeck composition. It was one great razor.

Then...my shaving world changed. I bought a long handled Progress.

The balance is perfect and it is infintely adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 29