09-22-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
Anyone still use them? Brings me fond memories. I remember as a kid ordering stuff in secret from my parents (ninja stars, a blow gun, for example).

It's be fun to use them again if for the only reason to make it harder for "they" who watch. I would be interested in a fishing catalogue for a 10 year old. But would be interested to hear others experiences as well.

18 713
 09-23-2015, 05:10 AM
User Info
Sadly the internet killed them like so many other things.

I had them as kids and would look through them for hours dreaming of all of the stuff I wanted to buy but the paper route didn't pay that well....

4 465
 09-23-2015, 05:29 AM
User Info
Spent so many hours reading and rereading my favorite catalogs as a kid in the 80s. These were my two favorites: 

Edmund Scientific
[Image: NnaUuMU.jpg]
Johnson Smith Co. - Things you never knew existed
[Image: GID01Vu.jpg]

40 1,166
 09-23-2015, 06:33 AM
User Info
(09-23-2015, 05:29 AM)shevek Wrote: Spent so many hours reading and rereading my favorite catalogs as a kid in the 80s. These were my two favorites: 

Edmund Scientific
[Image: NnaUuMU.jpg]

Edmund Scientific - one of my favorites!

4 465
 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
One of my favorites was the Knights Edge catalog Biggrin Apparently they don't offer it anymore, all web.

18 713
 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 08:27 PM)fram773 Wrote: Anyone still use them? Brings me fond memories. I remember as a kid ordering stuff in secret from my parents (ninja stars, a blow gun, for example).

It's be fun to use them again if for the only reason to make it harder for "they" who watch. I would be interested in a fishing catalogue for a 10 year old. But would be interested to hear others experiences as well.

I still get the Cabela's catalog and various woodworking catalogs.  Sometimes it's more convenient to find something online; sometimes the hardcopy catalog is better.  I think if you are looking for a specific item, it's generally easier online.   I still think browsing through a catalog is easier and more enjoyable.

0 42
 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Oh how I loved the Bass Pro Shops full catalog as a kid, I know they still offer it if you ask them as I bought something for a trip 2 years ago and surprisingly they sent the catalog after I bought fancy new fishing tackle... 

but this blew my mind recently having ordered directly from Col Ichabod Conk... they give REAL CATALOGS!!!!  (a 28 page color catalog on very thick paper, I was so impressed I had to write to them to thank them for their efforts in printing one in this quality, I was more interested in the catalog received than the straight razor I just bought hahaha). 

The pricing list that was included had a mail order form with price list as well!

[Image: JDfq598.jpg][Image: Me4Dxku.jpg]

35 1,329
 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
We shop at LeeValley and always get their printed catalogs in the mail.  Luckily, we also have a store.  You go, take a number, fill out your order slip and they pick the order from the warehouse, bring the items out for you to see and you buy what you want.

They also have most of it on display in store, to see and hold.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/OnlineC...d=8de5c42b

http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/OnlineC...d=0a61ba28

8 2,718
 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM
User Info
Every teenage boy favorite mail order catalog when I was growing up, Fredericks of Hollywood, enough said! Biggrin

61 3,796
 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 06:03 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Every teenage boy favorite mail order catalog when I was growing up, Fredericks of Hollywood, enough said! Biggrin

I was from the low rent side of town so it was Sears lingerie for me.

9 1,203
 09-29-2015, 07:13 PM
User Info
For me JC Whitney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 748
 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(09-29-2015, 06:00 PM)refles Wrote: Oh how I loved the Bass Pro Shops full catalog as a kid, I know they still offer it if you ask them as I bought something for a trip 2 years ago and surprisingly they sent the catalog after I bought fancy new fishing tackle... 

but this blew my mind recently having ordered directly from Col Ichabod Conk... they give REAL CATALOGS!!!!  (a 28 page color catalog on very thick paper, I was so impressed I had to write to them to thank them for their efforts in printing one in this quality, I was more interested in the catalog received than the straight razor I just bought hahaha). 

The pricing list that was included had a mail order form with price list as well!

[Image: JDfq598.jpg][Image: Me4Dxku.jpg]

I had the same reaction when I got their catalog. Its beautifully done, something from another time.

15 541
 09-29-2015, 09:31 PM
User Info
(09-22-2015, 08:27 PM)fram773 Wrote: Anyone still use them? Brings me fond memories. I remember as a kid ordering stuff in secret from my parents (ninja stars, a blow gun, for example).

Cabellas and Bass Pro used to be my favorite but now I live 3 miles from Bass Pro so no need for a catalog.

13 947
 09-30-2015, 03:04 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've shopped for my casual clothing at LL Bean and Land's End for more than 25 years and still do.  I still receive their catalogues in the mail, but I prefer to use their websites today.  I also receive the Lee Valley Tool's catalogue, but I prefer to visit their store, which is close to me.

7 909
 10-03-2015, 08:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My favorites were guitar catalogs. I still have quite a few old Martin, Fender an Gibson catalogs plus a bunch others.

7 2,142
 10-03-2015, 09:17 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I used Cabela's so much that they used to send me hardcover catalogs, like 5 pounds of great stuff.  Then the seasonal supplements.  Archery, Shooting, Fishing, etc.  Now instead of being an unknown entity in a cornfield in Nebraska, there's a Cabela's everywhere.   But Bob's & Mom's Sports Stores, not so much.   I went when Cabela's  opened 45 minutes away, pretty nice.  A couple years later it is getting scruffy around the edges, like it's father, ChinaMart.  

I miss the hold in your hand catalogs, but since I don't order much by phone anymore they have dried up.  This week did receive one from Fountain Pen Hospital, in Manhattan, that reminded me of the old way of lusting after stuff, but didn't need a $1000 fountain pen, so they probably won't send the next edition.

44 473
 11-06-2015, 09:51 PM
User Info
I always liked the SEARS catalog and Sportman's Guide (especially around the holidays because they had more kid oriented stuff in there).

14 154
 11-09-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
I grew up in the days of the catalog and still enjoy getting them and looking them over. This time of year, they arrive everyday. My true catalog love is saved for my O Gauge railroad catalogs, published twice a year. The two main companies are MTH and Lionel (of course). For most of the hobbyists, that waiting for the new catalog anticipation has never gone away. Thank goodness.

19 101
 11-10-2015, 06:54 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Received the LL Bean and Landsend catalogues yesterday.  Much more pleasurable to browse a catalogue than a website! although I order through the website.

7 909