09-24-2015, 02:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Yr obdnt srvnt is no stranger to DE blades made in the PPI facility in St. Petersburg; I have used up five tucks of Gillette Silver Blue blades, and as many Wizamet-packaged Iridium Super blades; the writing on the boxes of the former was in English, and the writing on the latter was mostly in Polish, but the address of the PPI factory was written on the package in English.   I have used a few Astra SP blades that were included with vendors’ goods as freebies, and thus did not come in an outer box.  There was a certain commonality about all of those blades and their packaging.  All of the individual blades were double wrapped, with a logo-bearing outer wrap and a lighter weight of plain white paper inner wrap.  All had four relatively large wax dots on one side of the blade to adhere the blade to the white inner wrapper.

Now on my way to paring my DE blades stash to KAI blades only, I bought ten blades each of Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Gillette Platinum, just to confirm my decision to stick to KAI blades in the future.

I purchased the Gillette Platinum blades from Amazon.  The picture of the box on the Amazon website shows Arabic writing on one corner of the box, but the description of the blade at Amazon clearly states “Made in Russia.”   The two 5-pack tucks of the blades that I received were inside a zip-close baggie with a label that states that the blades are (the following orthography is exactly as it appears on the label):  

“10 GILLETTE Platinum Doub...zor Blades Made in Russia”

... and to drive home the point there is a legend at the bottom of the label  that reiterates, “Made in Russia.”  

Except for the logo Gillette
Platinum, all of the writing on the boxes is Arabic.

Inside each of the boxes are five single-wrapped blades.

Each blade is stuck to the inside of its single wrapper by two, relatively small, wax dots.

What say you:  are the blades counterfeit, or are they real made-in-Russia Gillette blades?

1 1,089
 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
User Info
The Plats, like the Silver Blues are well known to be marketed to the Arab countries, as well as Russia, which explains the Arabic writing. Nothing wrong with that pack.

To go further, there are only 5 blades in both the silver blues and the plats which are for the Russian market. I have packs of both

0 517
 09-24-2015, 04:27 PM
User Info
I have come across counterfeit Gillette Silver Blue Blades that look exactly the same as the original. Same box, same wrapping and even the same words on the blade itself. However, the only difference is that they shave differently (much worse of course). I now have 10 boxes of blades that are not sharp enough to shave with. I believe these counterfeit blades were made in China.

This is just my experience and may not apply to you at all. I am unable to tell if the blades you linked are counterfeited and the only way to know would be to try them. Good luck!

0 82
 09-24-2015, 06:28 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-24-2015, 03:53 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: The Plats, like the Silver Blues are well known to be marketed to the Arab countries, as well as Russia, which explains the Arabic writing. Nothing wrong with that pack.

Have you ever seen a PPI-manufactured razor blade that has SINGLE layer paper wrapping with (only) TWO wax dots -- SMALL wax dots -- to adhere the blade to the wrapper?

1 1,089
 09-24-2015, 07:35 PM
User Info
I have only had one pack of Gillette Silver Blues and I bought them at Art of Shaving for a rip off price of $5.00 when I was still new to DE shaving. I liked the blades very much, however I couldn't tell much difference between them and the Astra SPs, which are much cheaper so I have been using the Astra SPs. However, today my new 50 pack of Kai blades arrived from Amazon and I will shave with one tonight to see if they are better than the Astra SPs for me.

13 947
 09-25-2015, 05:51 AM
User Info
(09-24-2015, 06:28 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 03:53 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: The Plats, like the Silver Blues are well known to be marketed to the Arab countries, as well as Russia, which explains the Arabic writing. Nothing wrong with that pack.

Have you ever seen a PPI-manufactured razor blade that has SINGLE layer paper wrapping with (only) TWO wax dots -- SMALL wax dots -- to adhere the blade to the wrapper?
I don't have an Arab version of plays so I couldn't tell you. You could order a punch from tryablade.com and they will be authentic and be the Russian blades. You will probably save money too

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 09-25-2015, 10:10 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-24-2015, 06:28 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

All of the PPI blades have been packaged this way for at least the last year.  I have Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, and Gillette Silver Blue all with the single wrapper and smaller adhesive dots.  These blades came from reliable, yet different sources so I believe this will be more common as older stock is depleted.  As for the Arabic writing, I have no clue, but considering the major markets for these blades are not English speaking countries, I'm not surprised.

145 2,752
 09-25-2015, 11:08 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-25-2015, 05:51 AM)DamnitGoose Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 06:28 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Have you ever seen a PPI-manufactured razor blade that has SINGLE layer paper wrapping with (only) TWO wax dots -- SMALL wax dots -- to adhere the blade to the wrapper?

I don't have an Arab version of plays so I couldn't tell you. You could order a punch from tryablade.com and they will be authentic and be the Russian blades. You will probably save money too

You do not need to tell me, because — as I noted in Post #1 of this thread — I do have a tuck of an Arab version of blades, purchased from Amazon, that are labeled “Gillette Platinum” on the exterior (but with no indication on the box or on the blade itself that they are made in Russia) and the blades within are individually wrapped with a single layer of unmarked heavy weight white paper stock.  There are two, not four, wax dots, the dots being centered on the blade, not near the corners, by which the blade adheres to the paper.  My inquiry in Post #1 was whether those packaging differences from other PPI blades was indicative of a counterfeit.  

(09-25-2015, 05:51 AM)DamnitGoose Wrote: You could order a punch from tryablade.com and they will be authentic and be the Russian blades. You will probably save money too

I am familiar with tryablade.com.  Because Procter & Gamble does not itself market Gillette Platinum DE blades in the United States, both Amazon and tryablade.com must purchase their stock from wholesale importer/jobbers; I have no basis to assume that IF there is a wholesale jobber out there who is selling counterfeit Gillette Platinum blades to on-line retailers, the buyer for tryablade.com would be more rigorous in sniffing out a counterfeit than the buyer for Amazon would be. 

As for price, Amazon’s price for 25 Gillette Platinum blades (five 5-blade packs) is $10.98, which works out to a hair under $0.44/blade; tryablade.com’s price for Gillette Platinum blades is $0.75/blade; that price differential is consistent with what I found when I sought to give Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades a try:  tryablade.com’s price was $0.40/blade, whereas Maggard’s sells a five-pack of the same blades for $1.00, or $0.20/blade.   Try a Blade provides a valuable service, but necessarily, because of economies of scale, its per-blade price will be higher than that of on-line retailers who sell blades with built-in quantity discounts.

1 1,089
 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-25-2015, 10:10 AM)blzrfn Wrote: All of the PPI blades have been packaged this way for at least the last year.  I have Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, and Gillette Silver Blue all with the single wrapper and smaller adhesive dots.  These blades came from reliable, yet different sources so I believe this will be more common as older stock is depleted.  As for the Arabic writing, I have no clue, but considering the major markets for these blades are not English speaking countries, I'm not surprised.

That is a very interesting revelation.  In the past year (well, late Spring 2014), I have purchased Gillette Silver Blue and Wizamet Iridium Super blades from high volume (and, therefore, presumably, high turnover) on-line retailers, and subsequent to that, as late as Spring 2015, I have received as throw-ins with orders of other products from two other high-volume on-line retailers individual Astra SP blades.  All of the blades above were double-wrapped, plain white paper inside printed heavy stock paper,  with four wax dots located toward the four corners of the blade.  

Go Blazers; Vonleh for MVP.

1 1,089
 09-25-2015, 11:53 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-25-2015, 11:18 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 10:10 AM)blzrfn Wrote: All of the PPI blades have been packaged this way for at least the last year.  I have Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, and Gillette Silver Blue all with the single wrapper and smaller adhesive dots.  These blades came from reliable, yet different sources so I believe this will be more common as older stock is depleted.  As for the Arabic writing, I have no clue, but considering the major markets for these blades are not English speaking countries, I'm not surprised.

That is a very interesting revelation.  In the past year (well, late Spring 2014), I have purchased Gillette Silver Blue and Wizamet Iridium Super blades from high volume (and, therefore, presumably, high turnover) on-line retailers, and subsequent to that, as late as Spring 2015, I have received as throw-ins with orders of other products from two other high-volume on-line retailers individual Astra SP blades.  All of the blades above were double-wrapped, plain white paper inside printed heavy stock paper,  with four wax dots located toward the four corners of the blade.  

Go Blazers; Vonleh for MVP.

Perhaps even longer ago than I thought...

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=7512

145 2,752
 09-25-2015, 12:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-25-2015, 11:53 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Perhaps even longer ago than I thought...

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=7512

And here I thought that I am not an antique buyer.   Huh   You are destroying my self-image.

In the thread you linked, and in a photo included in a fleabay listing for Arabic writing Gillette Platinum blades:  
[Image: hGyR7cs.jpg]
 .  .  .  I see that the new style wrapping uses sheer (translucent) light weight paper similar to the inner wrap of older PPI wrapping; the blades that I received this week have a much heavier stock paper wrapping on them, and the wax dots are slightly different (smaller and farther from the center), however, so I remain suspicious, and I have returned the blades to Amazon for a refund.

1 1,089
 09-25-2015, 12:26 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I will try and remember to check my blades this weekend as I can't recall which type of paper mine are wrapped in

145 2,752
 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
mine have the same wrapping, no arabic writing and only the 2 wax dots towards the center of the blade. these are my number one favorite blades of all time, shame they're so pricey Sad

41 666
 09-25-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
(09-25-2015, 03:59 PM)e-dub Wrote: mine have the same wrapping, no arabic writing and only the 2 wax dots towards the center of the blade. these are my number one favorite blades of all time, shame they're so pricey Sad

My blades are identical as well

0 517
 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(09-25-2015, 03:59 PM)e-dub Wrote: mine have the same wrapping, no arabic writing and only the 2 wax dots towards the center of the blade. these are my number one favorite blades of all time, shame they're so pricey Sad

As you can see, the wax dots on the so-labeled “Gillette Platinum” blades that I received were not very well centered:  

[Image: HffKHTk.jpg]

The packaging in Arabic appears not to refer — at least as far as I (who cannot read Arabic) can tell — to St. Petersburg, although the number 54 does appear:  

[Image: Z5S8PG5.jpg]

Compare the printing in the same position on a box of Wizamet Iridium Super blades (note the Sh 54):  

[Image: T9eQJsf.jpg]

.   .   .   and the four (slightly larger) somewhat more symmetrically arranged wax dots that are on the Iridium Super blades:

[Image: Jc2oCcZ.jpg]

1 1,089
 10-01-2015, 11:08 PM
User Info
i have the plats and they look exactly like your boxes. i also have another variant of the box with the blades wrapped in white paper with the 4 wax dots. i know both are original as i got them from a legit source who i trust very much. i do not honestly see anything wrong with those. also almost every newer packaged gillette blade is only in the wax paper with 2 glue dots. i have green's, yellow's, polsilver ir's, super blue, astra's, platinum's, and red boxed stainless versions all with only wax paper and 2 glue dots now. most of those i also have in older double wrappers as well. they changed over to this style some time ago. my astra's are only labeled for india and has no marking of english with the russian address.

16 660
 10-16-2015, 07:12 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-01-2015, 11:08 PM)mastershake Wrote: i have the plats and they look exactly like your boxes. i also have another variant of the box with the blades wrapped in white paper with the 4 wax dots. i know both are original as i got them from a legit source who i trust very much. i do not honestly see anything wrong with those. also almost every newer packaged gillette blade is only in the wax paper with 2 glue dots. i have green's, yellow's, polsilver ir's, super blue, astra's, platinum's, and red boxed stainless versions all with only wax paper and 2 glue dots now. most of those i also have in older double wrappers as well. they changed over to this style some time ago. my astra's are only labeled for india and has no marking of english with the russian address.

A wek ago, I received from an eBay seller some Gillette Platinum blades that inspire much greater confidence than the ones that I purchased from (and returned, without using, to) Amazon.  As you may recall, the so-labeled "Gillette Platinum" blades that I purchased from Amazon had off-center glue dots, and the printing on the blades themselves looked like a later generation photocopy, with broken lines in the letterforms, especially the r-in-a-circle trademark bug.  

Now, I have had a chance to try (only five shaves so far) the eBay-sourced Gillette Platinum blades, and they are very "smooth" -- whatever that may mean to the rrader’s ken.  Provisionally, the eBay-sourced Gillette Platinum blades are my favorite PPI-produced DE blades to date, bumping the Wizamet Iridium Super blades off of the top spot.  The trial is still in its infancy, and I will have greater confidence in my conclusion when I have exhausted five or six blades’ useful lives.

1 1,089